September 23rd, 2010

CNNPolitics.com, Political Ticker’s new look

You may notice that CNNPolitics.com and CNN's Political Ticker have a new look as of Thursday morning.

Consider this a sneak peek at our new politics section and the Internet’s most-popular political blog as we approach the contentious midterm elections.

This new, more readable design is more than lipstick on a pig – we’re making the site and the blog easier to navigate  and adding new features to CNNPolitics.com like the daily "Top 5," social media cues including tweets, Facebook recommends and defining which stories are dominating the political conversation on the world's #1 news site. We've integrated video, iReport, opinion and reporting from our hundreds of affiliates around the nation on to the page.

Look for more additions in the weeks ahead, including midterm election coverage from The Best Political Team in our ever-expanding Election Center.

So welcome to our "beta" version – we’re having our grand opening on Monday and we’re interested in what you think.  Let’s hear it below.

Filed under: Politics
  1. Bonnie in Seattle

I much prefer the old format. I check the ticker daily and am pretty disappointed with this format.

September 23, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  2. NYC REPUB

You guys copied your format from the Huffington Post.

September 23, 2010 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  3. GI Joe

Don't like at all. But what I dislike even more is the way you all do NOT give us the truth - we have to sift thru the lies that your lack of journalism puts on most articles. NO THANKS. I'll go elsewhere for the truth.

September 23, 2010 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  4. Audrey Fryer

Too, too busy.

September 23, 2010 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  5. Righteous Apathy

I like it because it somehow makes me less likely to read it.

September 23, 2010 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  6. Annie, Atlanta

I'm finding it difficult to navigate, and having to move in closer to my monitor to read. The front page seems too busy. We all got used to "comment" instead of a box. I'll get used to it, but it's not as user-friendly.

September 23, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  7. charles gibbons

i hope americans will wake up long enough to see what boehnerpublicans are trying to push on the people of this great country we call usa and home,boehner,palin gingrich,mccain,steele and a few more loud mouth in the party do nothing but whine party of republicans need to just somply start to working with people and quit trying to undermine everything.the biggest problem they have along with the bitter tea party is obama is person of color so why not complain and make it hard for him rather than work with him to make it better they want to keep the rich feeding the rich.i hope when this is over they throw micheal steele in the trash like they have done america.

September 23, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  8. ysidero

I tried posting a comment on a topic just now, and after writing my cogent and well-thought-out response, i tried to post and all of a sudden the screen went white and I got the message "sorry, comments have been closed". I'm partly joking and partly serious about being mad – you need to not let people waste their time if their comment will not be accepted. I'm not a fan of the font you chose, but I can get over it, if the site is more user-friendly.

September 23, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I have started reading real news sources in order to counterbalance whatever "game plan" your "news" stories are playing to.

And to answer your question: I don't like your new 'look', but don't worry, you have the rabble that you're rousting against this administration to keep you above water.

September 23, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  10. JJ

can't figure out how to see all the stories on the ticker.

September 23, 2010 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  11. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

This sucks!!!! Not all change is good. This is a prime example.

September 23, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  12. Bob

The readibility of your new format is poor. There is simply too much going on. When I come to the ticker (once or twice daily), I want to take a quick read, click through to the articles that interest me and be done. It is too hard for the eye to move from one article to the next. I hope you will consider going back to your old format.

September 23, 2010 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  13. ED FL

Did poor little CNN get their feelings hurt due to a truthful comment.I see the censor part was factual.

September 23, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  14. Greg in Cabot, AR

Ads are bigger, type is smaller.......new page SUCKS!!!!!!!

September 23, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  15. Paul H

Way too busy. Everything is so spread out so it's harder to read and takes longer. It actually feels LESS organized that before. I have to look in multiple directions to figure out which articles I want to see. Go back to the previous design please!!

September 23, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  16. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Change is everything and I like change however there are those who fear change. Great job CNN, I love it.

September 23, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  17. Sherry

The "new" look reminds me a LOT of the format Fox News website uses. Though I like that you can comment on various news reports, I don't like having to "log in" to do so, as is with their website too.

September 23, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  18. Carol Myers

Don't like it at all . Go back to the other one. I get eye strain and then quit reading.

September 23, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  19. karen in Texas

So far, I don't like it. I can't find the story that I clicked on from the main page. Too busy, a bit confusing.

September 23, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  20. amie

It looks like a poorly done newsletter that my kid brother put together in Publisher. The middle section of top stories looks thrown together haphazardly and is difficult to filter through, and no one cares about "the conversation". Also, I don't know what this book font is, but I'm fairly certain it came stock with Windows 95. Maybe spring for a better sans serif one, it looks unprofessional.

September 23, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  21. Guest

The ads are as wide as the articles. Which is more important?

September 23, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  22. dmax

It looks a little too busy. The old format was less cluttered. I think it will just take a little time to get used to it.

September 23, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  23. Squealy

Blech! I am having such trouble with it! Hard to see the story headings as the font is WAY too small. Browser is not cooperating either. On Firefox, I can't go back once inside a Ticker story, and have to reload the main CNN page over and over to get back into Ticker. On Explorer, sometimes it won't load at all. I hope these things get ironed out by Monday!

September 23, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  24. Laura, Boston

Are all my comments still going to be awaiting moderation?

if so, I hate it...if not I can learn to live with it.

Laura, Boston