September 23rd, 2010

Group applauds inclusion of abortion in 'Pledge'

Washington (CNN) – They're not prominent, but social issues are addressed in the House Republicans' "Pledge to America," which GOP lawmakers in the House formally unveiled Thursday. And a social conservative group is applauding the move and says their efforts may have helped push the language into the document.

The 21-page document does include a "pledge to honor families, traditional marriage, life, and the private and faith-based organizations that form the core of our American values."

Lower in the document, there's a call for opposition to the use of taxpayer dollars to pay for abortions, which is tied to the larger issue of overhauling the new health care reform law.

Several Republican sources said there was no intention to directly address social issues because the electorate is so heavily focused on jobs and spending. But the language was added, according to a GOP source, after conservative Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana argued that social issues should be included in the document representing the agenda of House Republicans.

The Susan B. Anthony List on Thursday applauded the release of the document.

"Today, in its 'Pledge to America' the pro-life Republican House leadership has echoed the voices of pro-life Americans calling for a Congress that will protect Life. The pro-life legislative priorities included in their Pledge reinforce Republican Party unity as we approach these critical mid-term elections," said Susan B. Anthony List President Marjorie Dannenfelser, in a statement.

"The Susan B. Anthony List looks forward to mobilizing our grassroots network of over 280,000 pro-life Americans in support of the strongly pro-life GOP leadership and new members in order to pass this and other commonsense pro-life legislation right away in the next Congress," added Dannenfelser.

The group, also known as SBA, is a non-profit organization with a mission to advance politicians who oppose abortion. SBA says that in the weeks leading up to the release of the Pledge, they mobilized more than 10,000 people to petition House GOP leaders to make sure abortion language was included in the document.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report

Filed under: House Republicans
  1. the real ib

If woman want to have an abortion that's fine even though I don't believe in them just don't use my tax dollars for something I don't believe in; pay for it with your own money not mine.

September 23, 2010 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. Andrew Messenger

This probably comes across as a no-brainer as the party platform since the 70s has been, and hopefully shall always be, pro-life.

September 23, 2010 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. Claudia, Houston, Tx

This is no more than a hoax to "Pledge to the Republican Party", you know, like Hitler. There are no specifics about what one is pledging to, that's like signing your name to something without reading the fine print until it's too late.

September 23, 2010 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  4. NVa Native

The objection of womens rights in matters of healthcare are all based on personal narrow religious interpretations. We do the Repubs think it is okay to trash our Constitution for the benefit of their religion of choice?? The same is true with equal marriage rights for all people, they are against equal marraige rights for all people becasue of their narrow interpretation of their religion of choice. Same with all people being able to serve in the US military, "nope, our religion states you are less than the rest of us so you can not serve". These hypocrites, who are typically Republicans, are traitors to American values and the American way of life!

September 23, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  5. Frank in Valparaiso Indiana

Abortions were done in military hospitals throughout the 1970s, no reason they shouldn't be done again. You don't like abortion, don't have one, but you have no right to tell anybody else what to do. Take your superstitions elsewhere.

September 23, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  6. Eddieb

I am a democrat and I think this is the only thing in The big time GOP pledge worth while. the rest of it is a bunch of hog wash garbage. The same old thing everytime and the stupid people fall for it everytime two years is not enof to pull the country back from the GOP pit it was in. I want to know what they are going to do with the unemployment extentsions in november

September 23, 2010 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  7. Chelsea

Does this simply mean that abortions won't be paid for by the health insurance? I'm okay with that, but not okay if it means they are illegal. To each his own on the subject, but I don't believe it is something that the government should have control over.

September 23, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  8. Oregon Calling

Ok, so I have to ask... How can you be for "Smaller Government" but want them to intrude on a woman's body?"

Hello, this makes no sense to me. If you want to intrude on my body, your #$%@# better be footing the bill! Don't tell me that I have to have a procedure done that I am against (or in this case, I can't have a procedure done) but I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT? Give me a break.

And to those that still think that they have a right to intrude. I was raised Christian and I do not support how I was raised as it was worse that being with some clergy! I respect other's right to their religion and have never had an abortion but will not support telling others that they have no right to their own choice.
    I have a belief system but it does not include man’s built establishments. I fought myself to be open to allow my daughter her Constitutional rights and have let her go to a Christian Church until she decided that it was not for her. Her RIGHT, My RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!

Please wake up and see that some are trying to take away our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

PLEASE VOTE!!!!

Peace :-)

September 23, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  9. C Smith

We want small government! Except for the fact that we want the government to tell someone they cannot have an abortion. Something that deals with their own body. Oh, and we want the government to tell you whether as an American you can serve your country. Oh and whether you can marry someone. Conservatives should see themselves for the self serving hipocrits that they truely are.

September 23, 2010 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  10. nancy

Isn't it amazing the position these people take about the unborn and then turn around in the same breath and say it is unrealistic to cover children with preexisting conditions and compare them to wrecked cars and damaged homes. If you need a link to this information watch the speeches of the Values Conservative conference last week in Washington, DC

September 23, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  11. Texas Doc

What else can you expect from the American Taliban?

September 23, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  12. sir magneto

big government is the problem except when it reaches into your private life and tells you what you can do with your own body who you can marry. Then it's okay, quite clearly. keep your damn government hands off my medicare!

September 23, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  13. Givemeabreak!!!

How about opposing WAR which kills so many of our citizens.????Why is this type of killing not addressed?? Killing is killing, whether by abortion or by war. I guess women are expected to be kept barefoot and pregnant.

September 23, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  14. OH YEAH?

No abortion...no viagara.

September 23, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  15. diridi

these pledges are no new pledges by GOP thugs....they are as old as GOP thugs...

September 23, 2010 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  16. vic, Nashville TN

Iranian regime agenda also same view

September 23, 2010 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  17. LacrosseMom(the real one)

OH.......... here it is...... abortion! I knew that the GOP-baggers would soon be brining abortion up! Have YOU noticed that the GOP has;
    NO new ideas
    NO new solutions
    Nothing to offer but the same old????? IF the Bush Tax Cuts would have worked, wouldn't our economy already be better?

BEWARE America when GOP-baggers bring up abortion, is part of their strategy of hate, lies, fear & division! They say they are pro-life but they want to repeal Healthcare for Americans who need it. SO for the GOP it is a-okay to have 45,000 Americans dying every year because they do not have healthcare! Sure..... "pro-life"!

September 23, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  18. LacrosseMom(the real one)

@ Oregon Calling: That's right! Interesting how the GOP is ALL for Freedom....... EXCEPT...... when the GOP wants to take FREEDOM away!

Peace to you!

September 23, 2010 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  19. randy

Frank in Valparaiso Indiana. I'll give you that argument when people let me smoke where I want to and the non smokers go somewhere else.

September 23, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  20. Oregon Calling

@ LacrosseMom (the real one) Thanks for writing and pointing out what seems to be some of their theme. When they had control over both houses and the Presidency, they did NOTHING!!!!! It’s all to stoke fear and pad their wallets. They will continue to use this as a wedge issue.

Peace to you as well! :-)

September 23, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  21. Agathe

I bet you those same GOP people standing behind the podium do not follow the creed that they want to impose on all of us. I also always wonder what they mean by "core of our American values"??? Do they think that the rest of the world does not have values??? Talking like hypocrites.

September 23, 2010 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  22. LouAz

"When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” – Sinclair Lewis 1935

September 23, 2010 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  23. Robert Cloosdoosch

The "get government out of our lives" crowd have no problem with government butting into a woman's right to make decisions about her body, end of life decisions, the right to marry who you choose, or the rights of others to worship when and where they ploease.
    They are hypocrites of the worst kind.

September 23, 2010 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  24. kaparrishinatl

"pledge to honor families, traditional marriage, life, and the private and faith-based organizations that form the core of our American values." So what part of this pledge was drafted by racist, sexist, sex-crazed, homophobic, adulterous, closeted homosexuals Republicans? I can't wait to see!!

September 23, 2010 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  25. rush

I applaud this inclusion. We cannot be trusted to have control over our bodies and this power SHOULD be placed in the hands of the Federal government.

Going forward this power will include the Fed to control who CANNOT have children and the will be the rest of our social platform.

Bravo