September 24th, 2010

Pelosi on Colbert

ALT TEXT

Washington (CNN) – Speaker Nancy Pelosi defended comedian Stephen Colbert's testimony before a House Judiciary subcommittee on Friday.

Leaving her weekly press conference, Pelosi told reporters she thought it was appropriate for Colbert to appear as a witness, "He's an American. He comes before the committee. He has a point of view."

Pelosi added, "It can bring attention to an important issue like immigration. I think it's great."

But the Speaker said she had not seen Colbert's testimony, noting she's been working, but was "eager to hear about it."

Follow Deirdre Walsh on Twitter: @deirdrewalshcnn

Filed under: Nancy Pelosi • Stephen Colbert
  1. Dave, Central Illinois

What a twit. Colbert is nothing but a court jester and Pelosi is the Queen of idiocy. How can anybody take this Congress seriously?

September 24, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  2. vic, Nashville TN

Colbert took all the air good moved Carol M. Swain struggling to answer

September 24, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  3. Jack

Pelosi is from California and understands publicity. Other than that she's pretty well an incompetent, but then she is from San Francisco.

September 24, 2010 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  4. stufit

That is funny, no one who was against health care was allowed by the Speaker to speak against it, nor the stimulus, they all had to be done immediately before anyone could read them. Those that asked were called names by the Speaker and otherwise demeaned and degraded as "astroturf,", "unpatriotic," and "neanderthals." Must have been the botox ruining her brain and memory.

September 24, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  5. diridi

this is an idiotic comedian....why taking this idiotic clown so seriously....He is spoiled GOP thug from Fox news...bunch of idiots...Pres. Obama is doing fine and great job...look at dow points today....189 positive....economy is improving...job market is getting better...e.x, my hours have been increased...I vote for democrats...I do not give darn hoot, your polls...

September 24, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. Kenneth

Pelosi was working alright:Takes a lot of time to plan a move in just a month!

September 24, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  7. Claudia, Houston, Tx

If Colbert can work in the fields picking vegetables and grapes, so can many unemployed. The Mexicans have given up the jobs that we claim they are taking, so go get one and stop complaining to the President.

September 24, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. Fair is Fair

"He's an American. He comes before the committee. He has a point of view."

Hey Broom Hilda... I have a point of view and I'm an American as well. What's you're point?

September 24, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  9. Eric

Don't worry Nancy... come January you'll have all sorts of free time to catch up on things you've missed out on since you became speaker back in jan 2007. Conservative voters will ensure you get the extra free time you need.

September 24, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  10. jenn, philadelphia

So if I called the Speaker and said I wanted to speak at the immigration committee hearings because I have a point of view, she'd let me? I'm guessing the answer is no, especially if my view differs from hers. It's business as usuall. Certain people have access, and regular citizens get screwed.

September 24, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  11. Sagebrush Shorty

How in the world can California keep re-electing this woman?

September 24, 2010 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  12. jim

Typical Pelosi, maybe if she paid attention to what Americans have to say she would have more respect for her views.As far as Colbert he's is indeed funny but i don't think he represents how americans feel toward illegals in this country.

September 24, 2010 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  13. Ardie

The Tea Party and GOP have only one plan and have had only one plan, destroy the President. They don't care if they bring down the entire middle class, allow children with pre-exiting conditions to die, kill off the seniors that made this country what it is, go to war wiith the entire middle east just as long as these over sized children get their own way. Their contract with America is about power and greed and they don't care who suffers and the greed and power does not include the middle class. Their all nuts.

September 24, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  14. NothingNew

I'm an American, I have something to say – when is it my turn? Oh yah – I don't make a gazzillion dollars a year and cannot donate to anyone's campaign (directly that is – my taxes are yanked involuntarily for those running though).

September 24, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  15. gt

thats the problem with nit wit nancy... her advisers are lady gaga .colbert and micheal moore... no wonder were in the mess we have now....ugh !

September 24, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |