September 25th, 2010

Dueling messages in weekly addresses

(CNN) – In their weekly addresses, President Obama and California Republican Rep. Kevin McCarthy (giving the GOP's weekly address) offered wildly varying messages, each insisting that the opposing party has turned a deaf ear to the American people and that their party's plan to revive the economy is fresh and new.

Obama used his address to continue his assault on congressional Republicans, who earlier this week unveiled an economic agenda and voted against small business legislation that the White House has been pushing for months.

Watch President Obama's address here.
Watch the GOP address here.

The House on Thursday passed a $42 billion small business jobs bill that offers $12 billion in tax breaks and incentives to encourage business owners to invest in equipment. One Republican voted in favor of the bill and House Minority Leader John Boehner said the bill "does nothing to help end the uncertainty that is crippling job creation and hurting small businesses."

Obama will sign the bill on Monday.

Obama also accused House Republicans of ignoring the will of the American people.

"America may be speaking out, but Republicans in Congress sure aren't listening," he said.

In the GOP's weekly address, McCarthy said it's Democrats who aren't listening and Republicans who have heard the people all along.

"From the billion-dollar bailouts, to the 'stimulus' package that failed to stimulate to the government takeover of health care, you cried 'Stop!' But the Democratic majority in Washington has refused to listen," McCarthy said Saturday.

"When you said you wanted a prosperous, competitive economy, we heard you," McCarthy said. "When you said you wanted a more accountable government, we heard you. When you said you didn't want a government takeover of health care, we heard you."

McCarthy said that, contrary to the president's argument, the Republican Party's proposals, unveiled Thursday as a "Pledge to America" represent "a new way forward that hasn't been tried in Washington."

President Obama said Saturday that the proposals are "an echo of a disastrous decade we can't afford to relive."

Republicans will likely try to enact as much of their plan as possible should they take control of the House after November's midterm elections. Most experts predict they will gain enough seats to do so.

Filed under: Economy • Kevin McCarthy • President Obama
  1. NYC REPUB

I'm voting DEM in 2010, & 2012.

September 25, 2010 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  2. ron

I think the GOP are saying Obama's robbing the rich and giving to the poor, when the GOP robs from the poor and give it to the rich.

September 25, 2010 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  3. vic, Nashville TN

Democrat’s enemy is democrats they drag the health care bill they didn’t fight back the rumors
    Republicans doesn’t have any plan fix the economy ,they are blaming democrats what happened form 2002 to 2008 , no leaders

For me Terri Schiavo "Terri's Law" or health care bill is better . I will vote for the party spend time to pass the health care bill

September 25, 2010 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  4. cathstar

The bailouts (TARP began under Bush) are being repaid with interest.

Healthcare reform is long overdue. The WHO has ranked the U.S. 10th in health care, but we pay the most, have the most procedures and take the most drugs, all of which make the medical profession, insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies quite happy and rich.

George Bush spent like crazy while cutting taxes (especially for the rich) and caused our severe economic depression.

September 25, 2010 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  5. Tom-Vermillion Ohio

I've listened to both addresses carefully, President Obama HAS and IS listening to the average and ordinary American Citizen. Was his weekly address accurate? In other words, did we hear some resemblance to a plan that is tangible thus obtainable? The answer is a resounding YES!

As for the GOP 'plan', what is it? I still hear a lot of rhetoric that has no 'substance'. In other words, I strongly suspect, that in fact that the GOP, in fact has NO PLAN. Their whole agenda is to APPEASE the likes of the Koch Brothers and others like them so that they can more easily ship American jobs overseas, thus adding more 'profits' that directly benefit those who fill their campaign coffers. Here's the 'deal', the 'millionares and billionaires' tell the GOP candidates, if you legislate like I tell you to legislate, vote like I tell you to vote, I'll make sure you get (re)elected. As the old saying goes, "don't bite the hand that feeds you." Consequently, the Republicans are hopelessly sucked in and trapped.

September 25, 2010 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  6. Tony Bartlet

Is it November 2nd yet?

September 25, 2010 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  7. TOM

I am neither Republican of Democratice so I really have only an obsercance to make. When these policticans talk to the public, I keep hearing 'the people want so and so' or the 'the people don't want this or that'. Where the hell do these politicians get their info? How do they know what the people want? Do they listen to the crowds of rights and lefts they draw, or to all Americans? In the many years I have been a citizen of the US, I have NEVER had a politician ask me what I wanted. Oh I have sent letters and made my desires known, but seems to always be ignored and the politician then does what ever HE/SHE wants and not what their voters want.

September 25, 2010 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  8. Tony Bartlet

Obama also accused House Republicans of ignoring the will of the American people? Really?
    Yeah becuase a majority of Americans were in favor of Obama care when that passsed right?

September 25, 2010 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  9. Tony Bartlet

Obama says the GOP is leaving the middle class to fend for itself. So in the president's view people in the middle class are not able to take care of themselves? I wonder why some people call him a socialist?

September 25, 2010 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  10. jenn, philadelphia

Dueling slogans: Pledge to America vs. Make It In America. You know what? I don't need to come up with a clever slogan for doing my job. I just do it!

September 25, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  11. Clwyd

The Party of No, by name, has turned the deaf ear to all Americans except for Big Oil, Big Business, Big Wall Street and the rich! When all you can say is "No!" you aren't listening!

September 25, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  12. Marry

I am so proud of my President! No one could have done such a good job to keep the US afloat! And that under the most difficult of circumstances. The GOP having only one goal: “To make the President fail!” I admire the President to be able to still work so well FOR the people – despite all the misinformation and slander spread by the GOP and the TP! Please, vote informed, responsible and smart!

September 25, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  13. LogicDictates

Repubs disparage stimulus as ineffective and not making jobs, while asking for its funds to provide jobs in their states.

They want to undo 'Obamacare' but then include a lot of its ideas in their new contract.

It's disgusting and immoral, yet so many people – uninformed, and happily so – take the bait, hook, line and sinker.

unbelievable...

September 25, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  14. southern cousin

It really would have been great if this money had been included in the original stimulus instead of giveing billions to the corrupt union bosses and the left wing nut organizations, but you have to remember that Obama is the most corrupt, incompetent, inept union toady president in history and the SEIU stole the election for him. Did you read about the voter registration scandals in Housto? There the SEIU did not even use an ACORN shill, they just flat out did it themselves.

September 25, 2010 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  15. a in austin

Middle class Americans need to wake up, unite, and be heard. We need jobs brought back to the US. We need to stand solid about Made in America/Purchased by Americans. What's so hard about that? Refuse to buy products not made in the US. The amount of $$$ corporations and the republicans are pouring into the elections for republicans ought to be a wake up call. WAKE UP MIDDLE CLASS AMERICANS -

September 26, 2010 08:55 am at 8:55 am |