September 26th, 2010

Will Rahm run for the 'greatest job'?

(CNN) - If Rahm Emanuel wants to run for mayor of Chicago–and it's pretty safe to say he wants to–he may have to do it without the endorsement of a big name in Illinois politics.

Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin, the state's senior senator, declined to endorse Emanuel for mayor Sunday on CNN's State of the Union with Candy Crowley.

"I have said publicly to Rahm Emanuel, if you want to run, you can't do it from the White House. You need do it from the loop in Chicago," Durbin said, referring to the Windy City's major downtown commercial center.

"No endorsement today, though?" Crowley asked.

"No."

White House senior adviser David Axelrod said Sunday that Emanuel is "drawn to" running and is "working through" the personal implications.

"I think that he loves the city of Chicago, he's always believed that that was the greatest job there is," Axelrod told Christiane Amanpour on ABC's This Week.

Filed under: Chicago mayoral race • Dick Durbin • Rahm Emanuel
  1. vic, Nashville TN

Rahm is smart white house will miss him

September 26, 2010 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  2. GoodComedy

Yes he will run for the mayor of chicago.I still can't believe Daley won't be Mayor of Chicago..I thought he would be like his Dad.

September 26, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  3. Augsbee

I think it's great Rahm become the mayor of Chicago as his actions as mayor will either break or make his reputation. Actions speak louder than words. We'll see if he can live up to his reputation.

September 26, 2010 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. Ken in NC

I hope he does run for Mayor. As much as President Obama likes him, I think he is part of the source of friction in the White House.

September 26, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  5. jules sand-perkins

CNN's headline is misleading, pulling focus away from the fact that Emanuel's association with Obama is a negative in Chicago, and that Emanuel can't get endorsements there because Obama is such a failure.

September 26, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |