September 28th, 2010

Palin booed on 'Dancing With the Stars'?

(CNN) - It's the question the political world is asking after Bristol Palin's debut on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" Monday: Was her famous mother booed by the live studio audience?

That's what appeared to be the case when boos clearly became audible as questioner Brooke Burke was wrapping up an interview with another contestant on the show.

"There's booing in the ballroom - we don't know why," said Burke.

The show then immediately cut to host Tom Bergeron, who was seen sitting next to Palin, about to interview the former Alaska governor.

"I'm here with guest ballroom commentator Sarah Palin, who joins us from Alaska. Sarah, great to have you here," said Bergeron, making no mention of the boos, which had stopped by the time Palin's face was on camera.

Speaking with the Washington Post, the show's executive producer, Conrad Green, said he wasn't sure why the audience was booing. But he doubted it was for Palin, noting that the audience stopped booing when she actually appeared on camera.

"That's my guess, I can't say for sure," he said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Randy McLeod

I understand that she was there for her daughter, but why the BIG HYPE? Sit in the audience like everybody else does.

September 28, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  2. TPF

She hasn't even begun to hear boos, like she's going to hear. She is the most divisive female in the world today.
    She is mean, vindictive and very dishonest. It's only the beginning of a long but sure decent, in her popularity and the American voters can hardly wait. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

September 28, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  3. TommyBoy

They weren't booing Palin, I believe they were booing the judges scores for the previous dancer which appeared low relative to the performance.

September 28, 2010 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  4. Seattle Sue

That is not very polite to boo some one, the Tea Party must have been in the audience.

September 28, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. Jack

Just because you want something to be true doesn't make it so. Check your bias at the door. They were booing the judges previous decision you idiot.

September 28, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  6. Mack

I saw DWTS Monday night and right on the front row of the audience were $arah and PIPER Palin. Good Lord, does Piper EVER go to school!!! I guess when $arah finally stops traveling and gets out of politics, Piper will go back to school; by that time she'll be 18 years old and just in the 5th grade!!

September 28, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  7. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Regardless of everyone's opinions about her, and I have yet to meet anyone who was either 100% in favor of her or 100% opposed to her, this show is not about her, but about her daughter. The audience needs to remember that and respect her as they would the family members of any other dancer. At the same time, she needs to remember that it ain't all about her! I did not watch the show, as this years crop of "stars" really has few attractions to me. I would prefer watching reruns of "I Love Lucy" or "All in the Family" to watching a mostly group of has-beens, never-weres and wanna-bes with the occasional actual STAR.

September 28, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  8. bequick

There was booing because Jennifer Grey did a fantastic job and gave it her all and she did not receive 8's across the board as she should have. She got a 7 from Bruno and he gave 7's to other celebs who deserved less.How could he compare her dancing to others who lack a sense of musicality and keeping up with the pro partner? No one should make this a political thing-it's not- none of us care that Palin was there so noone cared enought to boo her. Her daughter (who seems like a nice person but too tied to her mom's apron) did ok but did not deserve the score she got – she was nervous and kind of clunky.

September 28, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  9. Maxis Carmody

The audience was booing because of a rather rude Palin heckler. Some idiot was down there harassing her and being a jerk. They started booing him until security escorted him out, and then the producer signaled for the crowd to be quiet.

September 28, 2010 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  10. Doug

WOW!!!! Nice reporting.. The Boos were coming from the ballroom were for the harsh treament Michael Bolton received from the judges. That followed with the lowest score on the show history. Did you all watch the clip?

September 28, 2010 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  11. TruthHurts

she is a celebrity. She will get booed. I don't think she is worried about it. She isn't a real politician.

September 28, 2010 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  12. stufit

You have to remember the fans of this show are obvious NEA products, who Tina Fey through the liberal media actually was able to convince that she was Sarah Palin. They are very shallow and probably on dope.

September 28, 2010 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  13. proud military mom

The people of this great country no longer exhibit any civility.You don't have to agree with someone's politics but whatever happened to something our parents called "good manners" or respect? Politics along with individuals thinking they have a personal right to whatever pleases them, has drug us into the gutter. My son fought for this country and I am very proud of him but I don't think I would want him defending the irresponsible, demeaning individuals our citizens have become.

September 28, 2010 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  14. Morgan

A lot of people don't like Sarah so it shouldn't be a surprise when someone boos her.

I, on the other hand, look forward to addressing her as "Madam President".

September 28, 2010 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  15. Sophiecat

I am NOT a Palin fan but I would never, EVER "boo" her during an entertainment event, what for, it's not even a political event!! Sheesh. How RUDE. Rude, rude, RUDE!!!

September 28, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  16. Chris

Of course CNN tries to spin this to make Sarah Palin look bad.... Are you guys really that afraid of her? Seriously?

September 28, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  17. RobRoy

palin can set this country back to the stone age in no time. definitely not a good example of morality or brains for that matter. She should be booed out of Politics and all public life for sure. Wow what a role model for our children. A shameless person and a very myopic person for sure. If I were her I would be hiding from the public eye raising tramps, wow what a role model.

September 28, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  18. Violet Weed

So people who waste their time and probably money going to 'dancing with the stars' taping booed a highly intelligent, straight shooter governor? Sure, of course they did. They don't want to lose their welfare, now do they? My point: who cares who booes Gov Palin? The more libs boo her, the better off is this country.

September 28, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  19. Objective

Sarah Palin is a politician, a very polarizing one by choice, and we are in a very political time right now. I suspect the audience was not booing her so much as the producers for interviewing her. If it's normal to interview the parents before their kid goes on and to sit them in a prime spot right near the judges, then it was inappropriate to boo. If this was something not ordinarily done then it does feel like the producers were exploiting Palin for ratings, as well as needlessly politicizing what should be a totally non-political show. If that was the case then the producers do deserve to be booed.

September 28, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  20. Michael

I was watching the show. I don't think they were booing Palin, I think they were booing the judges for their scoring on that particular dance. They started booing within a few seconds of the scoring.

September 28, 2010 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  21. Old Farmboy

The booing was from Jennifer Grey's fans after she got a lower score than they wanted her to get. They were not booing Palin. Nice try on the negative Palin stuff, but no cigar. You need somebody besides Olberman as a source....

September 28, 2010 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  22. corymac

Uh, why is this non-story even on a CNN blog? CNN presrnts no facts, at all...just speculation. Barack Obama gets booed all the time and I never see that on any CNN blog. Is this just more CNN Palin-bashing? If so, it's really too bad. CNN is so much better than that.

September 28, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  23. FDA

Divisiveness only works in her circle. The rest of the world has more sense! This woman's greed has trumped the common good of the country. She makes money taking this nation apart. Separating people from their president. I once heard Hannity tell a listener to fall in line with Bush on the invasion of Iraq. "It is your duty to support your president even if you have different ideas" (he told the listener). We are one nation. We can have different ideas, we can voice them, but we shouldn't divide by hatred. Palin, Beck, Hannity, and the godfather of hate Rush Limbaugh need to step back, bring something to the table besides their obvious hatred of our President.

September 28, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  24. Orlando Patriot

Just shows how disrespectful Democrats are. If this is a political event then you have every right to boo if you don't like her politics but this is a show where she is there to support her daughter. This is NOT a political event and anyone who supports booing a parent at a non-political event is classless and has no moral character. You Democrats are disgraceful and should be totally ashamed of yourselves. However, I don't expect you to recognize your lack of character since you have to actually have to have an IQ at least two points above a turnip to have moral character and that is obviously not the case. What a disgrace the Democrats are and is pathetic.........

September 28, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  25. Doles

My problem is, why would anyone boo this lady? I think the more you pay attention to her the more relevant she becomes. I think politics is just dirty. However I think there are people who shouldn't even be taken seriously. I do understand that some groups have problems with Obama because of which they will gravitate towards anyone that looks different and is of the opposite belief. Do they really have to gravitate towards this lady? I don't think it says as much about her as it does those who follow her.

September 28, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |