September 29th, 2010

Brown responds to Whitman allegations

(CNN) – Jerry Brown, the Democratic nominee for governor in California, has responded to allegations that GOP nominee Meg Whitman subjected her former housekeeper, Nicky Diaz-Santillan, to emotional and financial abuse.

"Once again, Meg Whitman has shown that she thinks the rules don't apply to her," Brown said in a statement. "From the start, Meg Whitman has failed to tell Californians the truth."

At a press conference today, Nicky Diaz said she was fired in 2009 for political reasons.

"Nicky Diaz has a compelling story, and it is our hope that she will be treated with respect and dignity as this story unfolds," Brown said.

Filed under: 2010 • California • Jerry Brown • Meg Whitman
  1. vic, Nashville TN

Don’t vote for candidates who avoid media questions

September 29, 2010 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  2. DollParts

I like how she told the housekeeper to "lose my number" and "don't talk to my kids."

Duh. What else is a housekeeper who had been a "part of the family" for 9 years gonna do when her "ma'am" decides to run for public office? What was Whitman's answer? "Lose my number."

September 29, 2010 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  3. mypitts2

It was a mistake for him to jump in on this. If your opponent is hurting herself, let her. He risks making her a sympathetic figure by piling on.

September 29, 2010 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  4. MAC

I grew up in California when Jerry Brown was Govenor and he is a big reason California is in the finacial trouble it is in, especially with the Public Employees Union and my son is a public servent in the state prison system. Nicki should be jailed for a fake social security number and getting a drivers license while being her illegally and then deported for false ID and fake paperwork which the company that got her the job did not check properly. California needs to stop being a welfare state. It is bad when people on welfare get more money than I do on my retirement after 20 years in the US Armed Forces.

September 29, 2010 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  5. jason calhoun

It is ashame how republican are! Do as I say not what I do

September 29, 2010 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  6. Darth Vadik, CA

Jerry's the man, Meg is...well who knows, the offspring of Sauron and the Balrog of Morgoth maybe, as far as i can tell.

September 29, 2010 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  7. Name mathis lopez

I like jerry brown but why doesn't have any ads aimed at hispanics, especially in spanisj

September 29, 2010 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  8. rob

Interesting how this comes out barely a month before election day. Why didn't this come out earlier? Sounds fishy to me.

September 29, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  9. Frank in Valparaiso Indiana

Jerry Brown needs to be elected. He has shown time and time again he does what is good for his state. As opposed to Whitman who just cares about herself.

September 29, 2010 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |