September 29th, 2010

Mystery solved: Palin not booed

(CNN) – The big question surrounding Sarah Palin's appearance on "Dancing with the Stars" has been answered.

The former Alaska governor was in fact not booed on the ABC program.

Following a string of media reports questioning whether the studio audience gave Palin a frosty welcome when she was introduced, ABC released raw footage showing the boos were in fact directed toward judges who had - moments earlier - given contestants Derek Hough and Jennifer Grey an "8" for what the crowd believed was a better performance.

The speculation was spawned when, during the show's original airing, off-camera boos were clearly audible immediately before host Tom Bergeron began his interview with Palin. The former GOP vice presidential nominee was in the crowd to watch daughter Bristol compete.

"There's booing in the ballroom. We don't know why," Burke said then. Grey then asked, "Why is there booing?" before the camera cut to Palin and Bergeron.

Bergeron himself told ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Monday the boos were prompted by scores for Grey's performance and not Palin's presence. "They felt that Jennifer got screwed, that she should've gotten nines," he explained.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. jp

I am not a Palin fan but I have to say that the press was really trying to create drama on this one. I didnt notice her being booed when the show originally aired and when I saw there was a stir about it I watched the video. After watching the replay the only drama I saw was what the media had created.

September 29, 2010 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  2. King Kong

This is for her anyways BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

September 29, 2010 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  3. Seattle Sue

I'm sure Palin got plenty of booing from people sitting on their armchair at home watching on tv.

September 29, 2010 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  4. Bruce

I'm sure the radical left wing loonies will still say it was because of Palin.

September 29, 2010 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  5. Retired Army in San Antonio

It's OK......I was booing Palin from my living room ;-) .

September 29, 2010 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  6. Kevin

I am not so stupid or naive to think for one second that Palin's group immediately told the show to do something about this. The crowd was cheering and cheering for the first two scores of 8, and then you want to say that they spontaneously didn't like it when a third 8 showed up? C'mon. You know full well that they did some scrambling to find a way to do damage control. Besides, why even go to the trouble? I know why. Because Palin was concerned, not DWTS or ABC.

September 29, 2010 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  7. Balls

i booed by not watching this show.

September 29, 2010 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  8. Jason

I wish she would have been booed into retirement. This wack job needs to go away before she ruins our country.

September 29, 2010 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  9. Brian O'Connor

I never watch the show, and never will. But it seems far fetched that a pair of commentators on the show would not know what the booing was about, if, indeed, it were regarding a grade for a recently finished performance. You can watch skating or gymnastics late at night, on ESPN 8, and the awful announcers will know that the booing is for a score.

September 29, 2010 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  10. Tamara Malik

It is amazing to me that there was so much questioning about this. My family and I watched it the night it was aired and all of us realized they were booing the judges and not Palin. It seemed silly to the next day when there was all this controversy going on. Seems people and the media should have better things to do than to spend so much energy on something that was so obvious.

September 29, 2010 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  11. Ernie

I think this is very petty. If this is all reporters can do is report on Sarah Palin getting booed at DWTS. Thne it's time for them to start acting like adults. I call this "Petty Reporting" who cares of Sarah Palin got booed. I don't see the reporters of this article getting out on the dance floor. Sarah Palin was there to see her daughter dance but the "Petty Reports" don't see it that way. The "Petty Reporters" should be worrying seeing if they can win a Pulitzer Prize for good reporting not "Petty Reporting:" Hey guys time to grow up.

September 29, 2010 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  12. Tea Bagger

Ya, no one would EVER boo Sarah Palin. The thought of that is just absurd!

September 29, 2010 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  13. Dennis

Why is this political news? Why are the American people so caught up in the hate and lies being espoused by this woman? Is it because some people are so incapable of thinking for themselves they have to grab on to somebody else's self-serving way of thinking? Is it because people are angry about being screwed over again and again they will side with the person who possesses the most hate, even though that is the same person who screwed them over? Just wondering.

September 29, 2010 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  14. nintex

Sarah Palin has done more to get me motivated about politics than anyone else ever could. I am working so hard for the local Democratic party, and supporting the national party financially, which I have never done before. I can't think of any person that I dislike as much as I dislike her, and the thought of her spreading lies and distortions about the health care law makes me livid! If there is a God in heaven, she won't get anywhere near a political office in my lifetime!

September 29, 2010 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  15. T'SAH from Virginia

24/7 needs SOMETHING to fill voids when REAL NEWS is not being reported!!! She was BOOED yesterday and today she was NOT – the audience was actually BOOing the score!!

BOO HOO – who cares!!! My problem with the media is NOT so much the 24/7 news cycle they needs to fill a VOID when there is no REAL NEWS to report – I have a problem when the media "GLORIFIES" an unwed WHITE teen mom – giving her all of the BREAKS in the World, BUT yet if it was an African American teen or a teen of COLOR – it would be DISGRACEFUL!!!

Think About It!!!

T'SAH from Virginia – the Original – and I approve this message!!

September 29, 2010 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  16. J. McCarthy

Yeah, they were booing over a lousy point right as Palin's interview was about to begin. Not buying it. But is anyone really shocked. Isn't the show taped in LA? LA is hardly a conservative stronghold.

September 29, 2010 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  17. BBB

So glad this major drama was solved... now I can sleep at night. HA!

September 29, 2010 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  18. James Brooklyn N.Y.

Well we need to make it right
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

September 29, 2010 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  19. MLV1055

The raw footage wasn't convincing at all. The host crossed in front of the judges and sat down next to Palin, then the booing started. What's interesting is the amount of time & energy devoted, both on the show and now on CNN, to "prove" that she wasn't booed. Normally, when the audience boos the judges, it is immediate, and not a delayed reaction that happens after the camera has cut away to the contestant interviews. I don't think it was appropriate, but it's still clear that she was booed.

September 29, 2010 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  20. skurfer

She should have been.

September 29, 2010 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  21. JOhn

I was there. We were booing Palin from my row!

September 29, 2010 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  22. TheTraveler

And this is news? Gads, you people are getting petty ...

September 29, 2010 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  23. New Age Independant

Any bets that the liberal/progressive name calling and insults to the Palin family will be rampant on these boards? Liberals can be so predictable in their extreme hatred... That's all that they are about anymore, "hate".

September 29, 2010 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  24. Lynn

Why worry if Palin was booed? If not, she should have been. What a bore.

September 29, 2010 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  25. NoBama

Mystery solved; Main street media sucks!

No wonder half the country doesn't know Obama sucks and so does the congress.
    The media has failed to do its part for America and it will be the next target for the Tea Party so watch out!!
    Don't believe me? We'll talk on November third after you've been schooled.
    You believers of CNN and MSNBC and the rest are fools and the enemy within, our next target.

September 29, 2010 09:41 am at 9:41 am |