September 30th, 2010

NY governor candidate to reporter: 'I'll take you out'

(CNN) – A confrontation Wednesday night between New York gubernatorial hopeful Carl Paladino and a reporter threatened to turn physical.

The dustup was captured in an exclusive cellphone video by CNN affiliate YNN Albany. It began with New York Post statehouse columnist Fred Dicker pressing Paladino to back up an explosive allegation he made to the Politico website Wednesday that his opponent, Andrew Cuomo, had taken "paramours" during his marriage to Kerry Kennedy.

"Do you have any evidence of the charge you made?"

"You'll get it at the appropriate time. You're not entitled to it," retorted Paladino, who then derided Dicker as Cuomo's "stalking horse" and "bird dog."

The confrontation escalated from there.

"You send another goon to my daughter's house and I'll take you out, buddy," an apparent reference to the Post's coverage of a daughter Paladino had out of wedlock.

Dicker shot back: "You gonna take me out?"

"Yeah."

"How you gonna do that?"

"Watch," Paladino ended with, before walking off.

The Post declined to comment on the altercation. The Paladino camp did not immediately return a request for comment. Nor did the Cuomo camp.

Filed under: 2010 • Carl Paladino • New York
  1. Granny Griper

Sounds like Palindino belongs to the mafia and is going back there, this guy is scary beyond belief and you wonder about the people casting ballots these days

September 30, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  2. Bluini

Two weeks ago on national tv, Eliot Spitzer claimed Andy Cuomo was the dirtiest politician he ever knew. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this reporter is a "bird-dog" for Cuomo. I would wan't to kick his ass too if he was harassing my kids.At least Paladino doesn't try to act like Mr. Goody Two Shoes like Cuomo does

September 30, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

As a former (but always) New Yorker I gotta say that the phrase "I'll take you out!" was totally taken out of context!!!
    We use it ALL the time. It is the West Coast's equivalent of "Let's do lunch!". Lighten up! lol

September 30, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  4. Justin

So Paladino, is all the Tea Party could come up with..GOD help us all

September 30, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  5. Stephen

This is the kind of crap that we will come to expect from the Tea Party crowd that is being nominated and possibly elected if we are not careful. This should be a wake up call for the Tea Party.

September 30, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Meant to say : The East Coast's equivalent of "Let's do lunch!". My bad.

September 30, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  7. jimmyjam

Nothing this guy says surprises me anymore. Maybe this is is his "Tony saprano" alter ego coming to the surface.
    I read in an article last month he thinks that Welfare recipients (code word for minorities,even though just as many Whites are receive assistance these days because of the dismal economy) should be held in Empty correctional facilites until
    they get the proper job training and Hygene skills. I'm Like WTF??? This guy is more offensive than Rush, Sean, and
    Glenn Combined. Glad I don't live in the Empire state, sheesh!

September 30, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  8. Rachel

Kind of sad both of them. The reporter seems to have some personal agenda and did they send reporters to his kids house?

September 30, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  9. Marie MD

No wonder the teabaggers don't want the press around. Is this what New Yorkers want representing them?

September 30, 2010 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  10. Red by Choice

If some low life reporter from some gossip rag sends someone snooping around and scaring my daughter and I'd say and do the same thing. Nice to see that Paladino is not just another namby pamby politician that will say anything/do anything to be elected. You should have smacked him right then and there.

September 30, 2010 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  11. al

Normally, threatening to kill a reporter would end a person's political aspirations. In the new world of Tea Party politics, however, Paladino may have just become a legitimate candidate for President.

September 30, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  12. usualone

This guy is a loose cannon. I hope the NY voters are as smart as I think they are.

September 30, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  13. roro

Paladino is just another example of the lunatic candidates of the Tea Party.

September 30, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  14. B. Lonetree

Though I do not condone what Paladino said I understand it. The press can be like the paparazzi. If they would send someone to my daughter's house to spy on her I would react the same. This election cycle is getting dirty. I have nothing but disgust for the politicians and the press who try to degrade their opponents. America is in the decline but most of our politicians seeking re-election will now resort to anything and everything negative. I hope we Americans do not buy into it and throw them all out of office.

September 30, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  15. DAVE

wonderful. T Party Mafia thug running for office. what's the difference? we have a Mafia thug government that has been for sale for 40 years. Buy a Senator, get legislation passed. Buy a Congressman, get legislation passed. Pay a little more and your lobbyists get to write the legislation. You're too poor to buy a senator? Tough luck, you don't get anytjhing. Let's be real here. THE US government is a group of thugs and it is for sale.

September 30, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  16. America Shrugged

Wow, the guy sounds like he is unhinged.

September 30, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  17. terry, va

I'd take out anyone that fooled with my family. Anyone that wouldn't would be in the Michael Dukakis and Obummie camp. I call them cowards.

September 30, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  18. phoenix86

Wow. I wish he was governor here in California.

September 30, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  19. johnRJ08

Paladino and his thugs belong in jail, not the state capitol. How do these lunatics get on ballots?

September 30, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  20. carol

The year of the nut cases!! We have O'donnell a real nut, this nut, Brewer here in AZ with amillion lies, the people in the tea party and Republican party that what to do away with Social Security. Adding thousand of senior to the work force because they lose their retirement would help. People are against health care???? The whole country has issues. Vote for these nut cases and see what happens? Scared yet!

September 30, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  21. Virginia S Lowe

Paladino sounds like a stereotypical TV Mafia hitman. And he wants to be Governor of New York! Surely the Republican Party can do better for a candidate. Sir, have you no shame? to quote a past historical figure. What has happened to civility?

September 30, 2010 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  22. Richard

As a father, I can understand his frustration. However, that is conduct unbecoming of a gubernatorial candidate. This can either be a positive for him (parents feeling his frustration) or a negative (he's a hothead and unfit for governor). I can see both sides. I live in Indiana and don't know much about either candidate, therefore, I cannot comment on whether I would still vote for him. It's all about the policies.

September 30, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  23. jd

This guy is nuts! I hope the people of NY don't make a huge mistake. The far right is taking over the repub. party. Sad

September 30, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  24. Gary Salmon

Anyone who lives in the Albany NY area and watches WRGB Ch 6 sees Fred Dicker almost nightly on the news with his political commenting. I've never seen Fred make much noise for the side of any candidate. (I don't read his columns in the NY Post). This heated exchange he had with Carl Paladino really is out of character for Dicker! I have for thirty years alway found Fred Dicker to be a fair reporter who would "Ding" Republicans as quickly as he would "Ding" Democrats!! That has always been his style!

NYS politics is a beast of its own, and Fred Dicker knows it first hand! I'm a Conservative Republican who did vote for Palatino in the Primary over Lazio, because as an upstater, I'm sick of down state politicians!! For me it was a "Worst of Two Evils" decision! I realize Carl Paladino is a lose cannon and I'll eat my hat if he is elected our next NYS Governor, but I'm afraid Cuomo is going to win in November regardless of my voting for Paladino! Thats life in New York State Politics!!!!! In the end, Fred Dicker is still a good guy!

September 30, 2010 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  25. Clwyd

Who would be surprised at this? The right and the extreme racist right, that doesn't know a thing about governing, tries to attack reporter. Imagine what these nuts would do if they ever get elected? The republican party is a nut case senario now that the extremists and teabuggers seem to have grabbed power. They must be eliminated before they have us wearing brown shirts and goose stepping!

September 30, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |