October 1st, 2010

Wolf's Picks: Advice for Rouse

(CNN) - Four former White House chiefs of staff have some specific advice for the new chief of staff, Pete Rouse. I e-mailed them asking for some advice for Rouse, and quickly heard back.

Ken Duberstein, who served President Ronald Reagan, offered this: "Remember you are staff, not chief. The President is elected and you are not. Every time you speak the voice people hear is not yours but the President's. And finally, you have a constituency of one and a half, and do not tell the First Lady who is the half."

Andy Card, who served President George W. Bush, emailed me this:

"Some thoughts:
1. Ethics # 1
2. Protect Article 2 for future presidents as you serve the President
3. Bring good peripheral vision to the WH debate as the President is counseled by experts with tunnel vision."

(Article 2 of the U.S. Constitution says: "The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America.")

John Podesta, who served President Bill Clinton, was terse with his email: "Kevlar."

And the outgoing chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel offered me this: "Keep your sense of humor."

Filed under: Pete Rouse • White House • Wolf Blitzer
  1. Kenneth

And second make sure you get the executive rest room key from your predecessor.

October 1, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  2. T'SAH from Virginia

WHO? WHAT? WHY? WHEN did these people surface and from WHERE???

So I guess if the CHIEF listens to Duberstein – who somehow advised the Great RepubliCAN'T Hope, Reagan – then the RepubliCAN'Ts will work with the President and STOP saying NO??????? Really????

And if Card – who serviced BUSH – get the Chief to listen to his advice, then maybe those 'tunnel-vision' RepubliCAN'Ts would again stop saying NO to everything President Obama proposes??

The BEST advice comes from Rahm – 'keep your sense of humor" or else he would go CRAZY working with the RepubliCAN'Ts who STILL are going to say NO!!!

I have no idea what ‘kevlar’ or who Kevlar is?? I admit, I don’t know everything but after reading other blogs, I will learn!! (I don’t have time to look it up.)

This is funny! This is T'SAH from Virginia and I approve this message!!

October 1, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  3. jim

Learn to play basketball, that way you'll always be looked favorabley by Obama.

October 1, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  4. Hugo

If the Democrats were to win in 2012 I would predict you would see a Nation torn completely in half with violent civil unrest, unless of course people get back to work and continue with their lives. The fact is the Democrats have had total control for two years and control of House and Senate for two prior. They have done NOTHING except expand Government, pass a 700 billion tax dollar funded payoff for the Government employed and Unions. Our economy is in the toilet, our dollar is rapidly deteriorating, food prices are up 20 – 30%, property taxes are up on the State level, our healthcare costs are up, and we are completely bankrupt both financially and morally with their doing. You want us to continue to support these clowns, think again...

October 1, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  5. 33 Days until Socialism dies in the United States

In this adminstration I'd say "Watch your back" and "Keep your esume up to date". Your job is only good for another two years!

October 1, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |