October 4th, 2010

Candidate's secret tape recording 'for my own protection'

(CNN) - Nevada Tea Party candidate Scott Ashjian says he taped his meeting with Sharron Angle "for my own protection."

The recording of the meeting is at the center of a new controversy for Republican Senate nominee in Nevada who is in a heated contest with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. Ashjian is a third party candidate trailing in the polls.

"I thought it was a set-up, so naturally I recorded it," Ashjian tells CNN adding "I recorded it because I realized every time I've had a meeting the truth gets distorted and the facts don't come out. It was never my intention to release the tape. I didn't do it till three days later when my friends said have you heard reports saying you're an egotistical whack job? So I said no problem here's the truth knock yourself out."

He gave the tape to his campaign manager to turn over to Jon Ralston, Las Vegas Sun political reporter and dean of the Nevada political press corps. The subsequent coverage highlighted Angle's pressuring of Ashjian to drop out of the race.

Ashjian says he had the tape recorder in his pocket at the time of the meeting. He says an emissary for Angle called the night before the meeting inviting him to talk to the candidate about getting an apology from the Tea Party Express which has criticized him. Ashjian was hoping for a public apology prior to the election, something Angle wouldn't or can't agree to. (She cannot coordinate with the Tea Party Express.)

Support from the Tea Party Express, a national Tea Party organization based in California, helped transform Angle from a long shot to the GOP nomination. Ashjian did not receive help from the organization, and Tea Party Express prevented him from speaking at a major rally in Nevada.

Ashjian tells CNN that he believes he can win this Senate race.

"The two political superpowers are spending millions of dollars calling each other liars and feel like people aren't buying into it," he says. He has not held public events but his campaign is active online and tells CNN he's "taken lots of private dinner meetings."

Filed under: 2010 • Nevada • Scott Ashjian
  1. stufthis

When you are dealing with the lowest form of political slime, it is good to have a tape recorder.

October 4, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  2. Tina in PA

There you have it. Not very different at all. Vote them all in (mixed bag of nuts).

October 4, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  3. What is the country coming to

Angle-Gate.......she is dirty dirty dirty............VOTE REiD

October 4, 2010 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  4. Shelly

The power and greed hungry GOP will do ANYTHING ( lie, cheat, make crazy claims, and harass) to win. Disgusting!!!

October 4, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  5. jae

Hey let that tape out. it is crazy that a person can even win their party election without speaking to anyone about anything. What does she stand for? Just that she is not part of the Obama Administration? I am glad I am not a citizen and never will be, I would die for most people in this country, but not a lot of people out here to protect Permanent Aliens who pay taxes with no benefits. When you are complaining about illegals, how bout fighting for my rights, fighting for my freedom? Just cause your grandpal came here in raped somebody because he owned slaves does not make you the rightful owner of this country. OOPS i THOUGTHT I WAS SPEAKING TO SARAH PAY-OFF AND GLEN RACIST I MEAN GOD I MEAN JESUS I MEAN APOSTLE, I MEAN SAVIOR, I MEAN RESTORER OF HONOR OR JUST ALCOLHOLIC IS FINE.

October 4, 2010 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  6. LacrosseMom(the real one)

GOOD CNN, you guys finally posted something on the Sharon Angle story! But you did not mention that during the recording, she threw the Republican party under the bus!

In NOvember vote NO for the Party of NO!

October 4, 2010 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  7. GI Joe

Anyone that votes for Angle is NUTS.

October 4, 2010 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  8. Donnatella

Sharon Angle showed her true colors on this tape, she is speaking of washington insiders, naming names if any tea party person still votes for her after this tape, that shows that they are all frauds, all that we don't want any washington insiders is bull.

October 4, 2010 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  9. key

she thinks running the for state senator is like running for home coming queen. Miss congeniality they me better than you.

October 4, 2010 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  10. Patricia

We live in a society of people that are too dumb to even be sllowed to vote. Americans think that they are so smart but they are the dumbest people in the world. You know that it is a sad day when a majority of supposedly intelligent people are thinking of voting someone into office that is by all accounts is devious and a crook. This individual is on tape promising someone favors if they pull out and let her win and the Republicans think that there is nothing wrong with this. These are the people that you want back in office. You people make me sick.

October 4, 2010 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  11. HD 100% ETH

Is it legal to record someone's freedom of discussions' without warnning them that they are going to be recorded? ...face the consequences!

October 4, 2010 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  12. Jess C

Got to love a good implosion!

October 4, 2010 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  13. If you love the Right Wing And Believe That Government is The Problem . . .

You Should Move To Tennessee, where a privately paid fire department watched a house burn down, because they weren't paid their monthly fee.

And the conservatives at the New Republic CHEERED THE FIREFIGHTERS.

This is America under the right wing – pay for your own fire protection and if you can't afford it, tough luck.

Welcome to the "In San A Tea" Party

October 4, 2010 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  14. Shannon

These nut jobs on the right are dropping lie flies, between the witchcraft, the mice with human brains, the secret knowledge of China taking over America, to saying the minimum wage is illegal, and now this tape, showing what a sleazeball Angle is, it's laugh out loud funny. You guys sure can pick them.

October 4, 2010 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  15. GOP Scorched Earth Politics

The GOP clones keep telling me only Dem's cut backroom deals. This "candidate" that hasn't even been elected yet is already showing her true corrupt ways before even taking office.

October 4, 2010 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |