October 4th, 2010

O'Donnell: 'I am not a witch'

Washington (CNN) – Playing off of her admission that she dabbled in witchcraft in high school, Delaware Senate Republican nominee Christine O'Donnell will launch her first television ad of the general election on Tuesday, in which she looks straight into the camera and tells the audience "I am not a witch. I'm nothing you've heard. I am you."

The last part of that line clearly references some of the unflattering information that has come to light in the last few weeks about O'Donnell, including inconsistencies in what she has said about her education and her personal and business financial problems.

In an effort to make herself accessible O'Donnell says, "None of us are perfect."

Tea Party backed candidate then transitions in the ad to her core message that change is needed in Washington.

"None of us can be happy with what we see all around us. Politicians who think spending, trading favors and back-room deals are the ways to stay in office."

She finishes the ad vowing to "...go to Washington and do what you'd do. I'm Christine O'Donnell, and I approved this message. I'm you."

The ad, which was taped last week, begins airing Tuesday morning statewide, a source with knowledge of the ad strategy tells CNN. Because Delaware doesn't have its own television market campaigns have to buy time in Philadelphia and Salisbury, Maryland to cover the state. While refusing to disclose an exact amount, the source says it is a "substantial buy."

National Republicans had criticized the O'Donnell campaign for waiting this long to go up with paid advertising since it had raised more than two million dollars since her upset victory last month in the primary over Rep. Mike Castle.

When asked whether more ads would run this week, the source said they "could very well."

Republican Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell and Democratic Senate candidate Chris Coons will participate in a nationally televised debate on CNN on Oct 13th. The debate will be moderated by Wolf Blitzer, anchor of CNN's The Situation Room.

– CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. JohninTampa

She is NOT me. I'm John in Tampa. I have a brain, and I approve this message.

October 5, 2010 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  2. Brant

People get the goverment they deserve

October 5, 2010 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  3. AJ

Of course she isn't. Witches have standards too ya know!

October 5, 2010 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  4. dedzone

How often has one of these teaparty people made some outrageous claim about a democratic candidate(sara"you betcha"palin)and she did this to herself that's the best part. good luck defending yourself now.

October 5, 2010 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  5. Annie

this ad sounds like it will lend itself very well to parody. Especially the last line, I'm you.

October 5, 2010 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  6. Emma Morrow

Wow, your are so Hateful of Christine O'Donnell, all the snide comments only shows how far CNN has fallen.

You mock Christine O'Donnel but hire Elliot Spitzer!!

CNN has zero credibility with the American Public.

October 5, 2010 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  7. BJs65

Yes my dear, you ARE a witch. Somebody please throw a pail of water on her so she can melt!!!

October 5, 2010 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  8. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

Pointy or not, we don't need any (more) tin foil hats in Washington. You have shown yourself, over the years to be in and of the fringe by nature... People who don't see that must be there with you.

October 5, 2010 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  9. dont care what you Demoncrates say

witch or not, at least she is talking instead on hiding like her opponent, she got my vote

October 5, 2010 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  10. Jon

O'Donnell's claim "I am not a witch; I am you" is painfully condescending to any of us who practice Wicca. I want so much to support the Republican premise of financial responsibility, but as long as religious fanaticism and ongoing efforts to keep the public convinced that we're the ones who are fringe radicals infests the party, you can forget my vote.

October 5, 2010 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  11. franz dibbler

Hard to believe something this stupid is even an issue in the 21st century.

October 5, 2010 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  12. stormerF

Why is the lame stream Media afraid to run the story of Chris Coons as a Marxist,but keeps attacking Christine O'Donnell? How come she has to keep defending her self for something she did in high school. Stop the Mockery get to the Marxist facts.

October 5, 2010 08:15 am at 8:15 am |