October 4th, 2010

O'Donnell: 'I am not a witch'

Washington (CNN) – Playing off of her admission that she dabbled in witchcraft in high school, Delaware Senate Republican nominee Christine O'Donnell will launch her first television ad of the general election on Tuesday, in which she looks straight into the camera and tells the audience "I am not a witch. I'm nothing you've heard. I am you."

The last part of that line clearly references some of the unflattering information that has come to light in the last few weeks about O'Donnell, including inconsistencies in what she has said about her education and her personal and business financial problems.

In an effort to make herself accessible O'Donnell says, "None of us are perfect."

Tea Party backed candidate then transitions in the ad to her core message that change is needed in Washington.

"None of us can be happy with what we see all around us. Politicians who think spending, trading favors and back-room deals are the ways to stay in office."

She finishes the ad vowing to "...go to Washington and do what you'd do. I'm Christine O'Donnell, and I approved this message. I'm you."

The ad, which was taped last week, begins airing Tuesday morning statewide, a source with knowledge of the ad strategy tells CNN. Because Delaware doesn't have its own television market campaigns have to buy time in Philadelphia and Salisbury, Maryland to cover the state. While refusing to disclose an exact amount, the source says it is a "substantial buy."

National Republicans had criticized the O'Donnell campaign for waiting this long to go up with paid advertising since it had raised more than two million dollars since her upset victory last month in the primary over Rep. Mike Castle.

When asked whether more ads would run this week, the source said they "could very well."

Republican Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell and Democratic Senate candidate Chris Coons will participate in a nationally televised debate on CNN on Oct 13th. The debate will be moderated by Wolf Blitzer, anchor of CNN's The Situation Room.

– CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. Maty

We should all pull out our old copies of "the Crucible" and brush up on witch detection.

October 4, 2010 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  2. EJS

Whats the largest budget you've ever managed...

October 4, 2010 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  3. Victoria

Ms. O'Donnell, you are not like me. I am a witch, and I am proud of that. I have never hidden my pentacle, and I have been treated as an outsider by people of other faiths. I find this add to be highly offensive to members of my belief. Whoever thought this would bring you into a positive light is sorely mistaken.

October 4, 2010 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  4. Villager

Of course she's a witch, she turned me into a newt!....
    ...I got better...

October 4, 2010 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  5. ThinkAgain

Personally, what concerns me more is that O'Donnell is an irresponsible, somewhat paranoid flake (and a liar, to boot, regarding her education), totally unprepared to represent Delaware as Chief Dogcatcher, let alone as Senator.

That aside, isn't it pathetically funny how one of the teabaggers' own now has to put up with ridiculous accusations about their candidate and her religious faith?

Maybe this is karma for all the nonsense and lies they've spread about President Obama being a Muslim born in Kenya.

What goes around, comes around ...

October 4, 2010 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  6. DAS

Here I thought liberals liked all those alternative religions......

October 4, 2010 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  7. johen

IIf she weighs the same as duck, then . . . she's a WITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 4, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  8. RussInTX

Not a witch? Too bad. I would have supported you if you were and were honest about it.

October 4, 2010 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  9. David

You go Christine. You represent what Delaware and this country needs. Your out there informing the people about the issues and how you can help Delaware improve, Coons on the other hand is throwing mud at you and your high school scene like a the school bully that he is. Wheres my water hose.

October 4, 2010 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  10. Gpenn

I'm sure you are not a witch. I'm also sure Obama is not a Muslim and is a US citizen, but you see how that is working out for him. Your hero and mentor was instrumental in the ridiculous labeling and now you get to reap what she has sown.

October 4, 2010 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  11. Edgar Friendly

You might not be a witch, but you certainly don't seem to be me, either.

October 4, 2010 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  12. zaitrancer

I'm not a Republican nor a Tea Partier, and neither do I support Christine O'Donnell. I also enjoy watching Bill Maher's show, which incidentally was where this whole witch thing came to light; but come on......whether or not Christine O'Donnell dabbled in witchcraft earlier in her life is hardly relevant and is just political fodder. If anything, I give props to her for exploring life a bit instead of falling into some drone, clone-like state of what is expected of a person. I'm generally a classic liberal thinker, but more and more I have a begrudging respect for these Tea Party types that are emerging as a people's protest movement. Although I think they might be misguided without a real plan for success, they embody the ideal of a government by the people, for the people. Perhaps this is what the whole political establishment needs is a real shake from a grass roots movement.

October 4, 2010 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  13. John

let me tell you something Christine O'Donnell you are nothing like me, I never dabbled in witch craft and i didn't pick my religion because i like meatballs.In my option you are one big nut case and i mean you are way out there. There is no way the people of Delaware should vote you in the U.S.Senate.And the people that back you is a bad thing because SARAN PALIN AND THE TEA PARTY are very hateful and RACIST people, SO that make you RACIST too! YOU got no BUSINESS being in the U.S.Senate at all. And I'm a Independent Voter.

October 4, 2010 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  14. Eleanor

What kind of whackjob comment is that?? ... "I'm you." ??! I don't think so!! I don't know a lot of people who dabbled in witchcraft, or who lied to cover up the fact that they didn't pay off student loans and didn't have a college degree. She's a lot of things, but she's not me or anybody I know.

And unfortunately the new hair style makes her look even more like Sarah Palin's clone ... she clearly wants to be seen in every possible way as another bigoted, insensitive, inflammatory extremist like Palin.

October 4, 2010 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  15. Debbie from Arizona

I just wonder how many folks in Delaware will say this and say – Oh no you certainly are not me. – And what in the world did she do to her hair – yikes.

October 4, 2010 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  16. Not Another Crazy Story !

Too late ! The information is already out there , I can't believe the republican's ever nominated such a person , This lady is a first class nutcase ! Thank goodness the information came out now , before she could dupe people into supporting her ! This is yet another reason why the teaparty is bad for America . They have forced out all the reasonable and sane republican's and replaced them with lunatic's ! First Paul,then Angel and now this dingbat ! I never thought I would see another politician crazier than Sarah Palin but this one has won the prize !

October 4, 2010 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  17. AwesomBob

She turned me into a mute!... I got better.

October 4, 2010 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  18. I'm voting Democrat this time!

Well the black dress ain't helping.

October 4, 2010 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  19. Rob in MO

Of course she is not a witch. Witches are good folks, not raving idiots.

October 4, 2010 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  20. Drew Williams

Next week: I am not a heretic. I am you.

October 4, 2010 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  21. MikeH

I absolutely believe Christine O' Donnel is not a witch.

Not because she says so, but because witches don't exist.

Christine is too mentally unstable and is such a pathological liar, I'd never believe anything she says just because she said it.

I'm waiting for her to be indicted for fraud, what's taking so long?

October 4, 2010 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  22. SurRy

"I am you"

She knows she can't win by being herself!

October 4, 2010 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  23. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Well, she does seem to make things magically disappear and appear. Maybe she is a wizard instead. I think that it is more likely that she just can't keep her story straight and would not serve the First State well in the Senate.

October 4, 2010 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  24. Dave

You are NOT me. I actually got a valid degree from a real university.
    I also believe in science.

You're nothing but a whackjob troll.

October 4, 2010 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  25. MA

She may no longer be a witch, but she's still not very bright.

October 4, 2010 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |