October 4th, 2010

O'Donnell: 'I am not a witch'

Washington (CNN) – Playing off of her admission that she dabbled in witchcraft in high school, Delaware Senate Republican nominee Christine O'Donnell will launch her first television ad of the general election on Tuesday, in which she looks straight into the camera and tells the audience "I am not a witch. I'm nothing you've heard. I am you."

The last part of that line clearly references some of the unflattering information that has come to light in the last few weeks about O'Donnell, including inconsistencies in what she has said about her education and her personal and business financial problems.

In an effort to make herself accessible O'Donnell says, "None of us are perfect."

Tea Party backed candidate then transitions in the ad to her core message that change is needed in Washington.

"None of us can be happy with what we see all around us. Politicians who think spending, trading favors and back-room deals are the ways to stay in office."

She finishes the ad vowing to "...go to Washington and do what you'd do. I'm Christine O'Donnell, and I approved this message. I'm you."

The ad, which was taped last week, begins airing Tuesday morning statewide, a source with knowledge of the ad strategy tells CNN. Because Delaware doesn't have its own television market campaigns have to buy time in Philadelphia and Salisbury, Maryland to cover the state. While refusing to disclose an exact amount, the source says it is a "substantial buy."

National Republicans had criticized the O'Donnell campaign for waiting this long to go up with paid advertising since it had raised more than two million dollars since her upset victory last month in the primary over Rep. Mike Castle.

When asked whether more ads would run this week, the source said they "could very well."

Republican Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell and Democratic Senate candidate Chris Coons will participate in a nationally televised debate on CNN on Oct 13th. The debate will be moderated by Wolf Blitzer, anchor of CNN's The Situation Room.

– CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. TOTAL FACT

No one but the lip flappers would think you were a witch. The problem with them is they can't see the monster they have put in the White House.

October 4, 2010 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  2. Grant

I think it's just sad that a potential senator that could be helping to lead this country in the near future has to go on T.V. and declare to the general public she is not a witch.

Is this what we've been reduced to in this great land of ours? Potential candidates having to admit something so preposterous? This is just pathetic for so many reasons.

October 4, 2010 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  3. Elizabeth

Except I am a Witch, so she isn't me.

October 4, 2010 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  4. FRANK FROM LAS VEGAS

No you're not a witch, just an idiot.

Vote NO in NOvember to the party of NO.

October 4, 2010 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  5. The Big One

I know that she is a witch because witches float. She looks heavy like a stone, or even very small pebbles.

October 4, 2010 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  6. smc, central PA

I'd still prefer to see if she weighs the same as a duck.

October 4, 2010 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  7. nick

maybe odonnell should wave her wand and click her shoes to make her horrible campaign dissapear. hehehe.

October 4, 2010 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  8. Isthisthebesttheycando?

As if being a "witch" (which is what a lot of Wiccans call themselves) is a bad thing. I doubt what she experienced was even "witchcraft." Wasn't she on a date at the time? I bet the guy just made it up to get in her pants. I think she should thoroughly educate herself on the belief systems of others if she wants to be senator.

October 4, 2010 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  9. J. Keffelew

No matter what she says from now on, it is not going to make a difference. O'Donnell has already exposed herself as a nut case with all these outrageous statements she has made. What else can one expect from a person endorsed by Sarah Palin who in her own right has established herself as the leader in making crazy pronouncements. What frightens me more is that the people who blindly support her cannot see her for what she is. Truly unbelievable.

October 4, 2010 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  10. Sean

Such an allegation is insulting, like we're all whack jobs and frauds. I think not.

October 4, 2010 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  11. john in cal

let's see. the last time I was in Washington I had dinner and did some sightseeing. Is this what she will do? Just what the heck does she really mean by that remark? it's very non-specific. Ahh I see- just another politition . No big surprise there. I guess that's the change we want eh?

October 4, 2010 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  12. rdepontb

"I am all the things you want me to be. I have no soul of my own, no compass, you see, but with the attention and resources broght by a US Senate seat, I will be able to embrace everyone of us in my personality."

What??!!

October 4, 2010 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  13. Andrew

nobody really thought you were a witch, they just thought you were a hypocrite... which you are. On top of that you are also borderline mentally handicapped.

October 4, 2010 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  14. Republicans Are The American Taliban

She finishes the ad vowing to "...go to Washington and take out the current President.

October 4, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  15. me me me

you think your gonna win people over with that statement....you must think the public are a bunch of idiots....
    you dabbled in witchcraft and now your an over the top christian?...make up you mind who you are...

October 4, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  16. monzell Lewis

Your a witch and your stealing campain fun you been outed. bye witch try different job this is too much for you

October 4, 2010 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  17. Peter E

And what if she did witchcraft? Does it matter? Ronald Reagan based national decisions on what an astrologer kept telling him. Not that I approve of either, I'm just saying republicans are being hypocritical attacking their fellow conservative for dabling in pseudosciences and mysticism.

October 4, 2010 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  18. Sir Galahad

"but you are dressed as one!"

October 4, 2010 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  19. Limbaugh is a liberal

Geez, even in face of a fellow conservative republicans are sore losers!

October 4, 2010 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  20. JennyTX

To the good people of Delaware: Please, please, please don't send this woman to the U.S. Senate.

October 4, 2010 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  21. ushj

hello witch. you are not me. while i am not a fan of masturbating unless i absolutely have to, i also am not asking to be voted into a position to dictate to others based on my beliefs/opinions. i agree that none of us are perfect, but we're also not running for office while hiding from our far far far right outlandish stances and posing as a moderate. some people will try to argue that i'm trying to paint her in the broad stroke of "Tea Party Crazy", but in this particular case, i'm more accurately painting her in "Words That Came Out Of Her Own Mouth" when i say she's on the deep end. lastly, i do not melt when you pour water on me.

October 4, 2010 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  22. Marty, FL

Please do not be so presumptuous, Ms. O'Donnell, and speak for yourself. You are not me nor our family, not even close. We did not dabble in your witchcraft on a satanic altar, default on student loans, used your deplorable gay baiting, unethically paying your personal expenses with entrusted donations, etc.

October 4, 2010 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  23. JT

No, Ms. O'Donnell. Thankfully, you are not me. Any political ad that starts with, "I am not a witch" is a waste of money from the get-go. No matter how much money you spent on this or similarly themed ads, your campaign is in a free-fall tail spin. That's the problem when we try to make ourselves out to be something other than we are without taking into account evidence indicating our true nature. If this is the best you've got, it's hopeless. As it should be. You need better advisors.

October 4, 2010 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  24. Frank

...her admission that she dabbled in witchcraft in high school...." Actually she was referring to dating a guy who was into witchcraft.

"..the unflattering information that has come to light in the last few weeks about O'Donnell...." Actually, she is referring to the ceaseless, deranged smear campaign spearheaded by CNN, SNL, etc.

Bohn, you just haven't figured out how much this slanted language and biased reporting is enraging the public. You're not the filter anymore – ya hear?

October 4, 2010 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  25. Brice

My dear, you are certainly not me, nor are you anyone I would know or associate with.

October 4, 2010 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |