October 4th, 2010

O'Donnell: 'I am not a witch'

Washington (CNN) – Playing off of her admission that she dabbled in witchcraft in high school, Delaware Senate Republican nominee Christine O'Donnell will launch her first television ad of the general election on Tuesday, in which she looks straight into the camera and tells the audience "I am not a witch. I'm nothing you've heard. I am you."

The last part of that line clearly references some of the unflattering information that has come to light in the last few weeks about O'Donnell, including inconsistencies in what she has said about her education and her personal and business financial problems.

In an effort to make herself accessible O'Donnell says, "None of us are perfect."

Tea Party backed candidate then transitions in the ad to her core message that change is needed in Washington.

"None of us can be happy with what we see all around us. Politicians who think spending, trading favors and back-room deals are the ways to stay in office."

She finishes the ad vowing to "...go to Washington and do what you'd do. I'm Christine O'Donnell, and I approved this message. I'm you."

The ad, which was taped last week, begins airing Tuesday morning statewide, a source with knowledge of the ad strategy tells CNN. Because Delaware doesn't have its own television market campaigns have to buy time in Philadelphia and Salisbury, Maryland to cover the state. While refusing to disclose an exact amount, the source says it is a "substantial buy."

National Republicans had criticized the O'Donnell campaign for waiting this long to go up with paid advertising since it had raised more than two million dollars since her upset victory last month in the primary over Rep. Mike Castle.

When asked whether more ads would run this week, the source said they "could very well."

Republican Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell and Democratic Senate candidate Chris Coons will participate in a nationally televised debate on CNN on Oct 13th. The debate will be moderated by Wolf Blitzer, anchor of CNN's The Situation Room.

– CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. seamar116

Yet this is what Tea Party Endorsed Senate candidate Sharon Angle is caught on tape offering in exchange for another Tea Party Candidate to drop out of the Senate race in Nevada. So I'm confused about what the Tea Party actually stands for.

October 4, 2010 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  2. Lee Bartholomew

True she's not a witch. She's a devil worshiper. What she described wasn't anything wicca. Not to be confused with satanic worship. and probably a bunch of wannabe folks too. And satanic cults are not anything to laugh about either.

October 4, 2010 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  3. Bren

Her wiccan religious past is not the issue itsher current politics

October 4, 2010 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  4. Greg

Saying you are not a witch doesn't make it so.

We need to do serious investigating here. Is Christine O'Donnell:

1. Made of wood?
    2. Able to float?
    3. The same weight as a duck?
    4. Able to turn people into newts? (Even if they get better)

October 4, 2010 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  5. thorrsman

I've known more than a few people who dabbled in witchcraft in highschool. And I've known more than a few who are true Wiccans. Doesn't make a bit of difference in them being good people or bad people.

October 4, 2010 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  6. independent

Sounds like Richard Nixon.

October 4, 2010 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  7. H

Thanks for giving delaware to the dems!

October 4, 2010 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  8. Ruth

She's not me, and I resent her thinking so. I've worked my entire adult life, paid taxes, did not dabble in witchcraft, know that evolution is not a myth, and would not expose my life to the media, even though it happens to be lily white.

October 4, 2010 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  9. Matthew

Okay. Thanks, Tea Party, but the world is now officially too surreal for me.

October 4, 2010 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  10. 53CR37 50C!37Y

can't w8 4 the debate....should b interesting

October 4, 2010 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  11. Mr. T. Bag

Holy Sweet Baby Jesus... These so-called "Tea Party" candidates are truly an indication of the end-times. Only a depraved society would consider electing such disturbed lunatics as these to run for office. They are the absolute polar opposite of "normal" –as she claims to be.

They are not fit to pump gas.

PLEASE - GO VOTE in November! Take your friends and family with you. And Pray....

October 4, 2010 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  12. The truth teller

So what your trying to say is that everything you are on tape saying really didn't occur?? I get it now, that wasn't you, it was your evil twin and we should not believe a word of it. I'm from the tea party so will believe whatever you spoonfeed me.

October 4, 2010 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  13. Chedar

O'donnell she is not a witch? What is she then? A big pathological liar ? The Woman is lacking integrity. The Tea Partier is coming up with witches and a Mobs in New York called Paladino.
    What a joke!

October 4, 2010 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  14. normajean

At first I saw O'Donnell as a carbon copy of Sarah Palin but now, although she's every bit as self centered and boring, I think because of the lies, she's a lot more devious, therefore more dangerous in the long run. I wouldn't trust her ever, much less ever vote for someone like her.She's to be watched carefully......!!!!!

October 5, 2010 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  15. Big Al

She lied about her education. She's lied about her work experience. She has had to cover for what is almost countless acts of infantile idiocy going back as recently as ten years (when she was apparantly a grown up).

She's an embarassment to her party. She's an embarassment to her family and she is an embarassment to her country. But she is not the biggest embarassment. The biggest embarassment are the people who voted for her. Why the GOP and it's governing body known as the Tea Party do not respect themselves is a mystery.

October 5, 2010 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  16. J.V.Hodgson

This lady does not come accross as a credible person for a Senatorial position.
    For one thing hr relidgious would taint many decisions she faces in the senate, and I doubt she could even get close to understanding any legislation put in front of her. Also I have no confidence in her finacial ability or to judge legislation on such matters... she would vote party line all the time.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

October 5, 2010 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  17. carlos

please,you do not even come close to BE ME and not to many millions of WE THE PEOPLE, your spin is worthless, bye.

October 5, 2010 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  18. Roger Dunn

Correct term is Wiccan!

October 5, 2010 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  19. Klaxon McFlinderginder

"Christine O'Donnell is a witch. She turned me into a newt!"

"A newt?"

"I got better."

I think Monty Python invented the Tea Party just to give us all a much-needed laugh.

October 5, 2010 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  20. Jonesey

She didn't go to Oxford either. I guess her "movement's" motto is to say whatever it takes, even if it's a lie, in order to get in power. Quite the antithesis of what they preach. Do as I say, not as I do. They are NO different than anyone else in politics... just dumb and dumberer.

October 5, 2010 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  21. Joe

I am not a witch, but I want to tempt the people of Delware.

October 5, 2010 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  22. Four and The Door

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
    She forgot personal attacks. Democrats have a 2010 campaign strategy and she almost had every point except she forgot heavy on personal attacks. Whatever it takes to distract voters from the issues, where Democrats lose.

October 5, 2010 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  23. bobcat1a

They haven't spent the two million dollars that were raised 'cause Christine needs it to pay her rent.

October 5, 2010 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  24. Bob

So... what, exactly, is wrong with being a witch?

*Looks straight at camera* I am a witch.

October 5, 2010 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  25. leonard

Then Ms. O’Donnell stop using brooms for transportation and we might believe your not a witch!

October 5, 2010 12:30 am at 12:30 am |