October 4th, 2010

O'Donnell: 'I am not a witch'

Washington (CNN) – Playing off of her admission that she dabbled in witchcraft in high school, Delaware Senate Republican nominee Christine O'Donnell will launch her first television ad of the general election on Tuesday, in which she looks straight into the camera and tells the audience "I am not a witch. I'm nothing you've heard. I am you."

The last part of that line clearly references some of the unflattering information that has come to light in the last few weeks about O'Donnell, including inconsistencies in what she has said about her education and her personal and business financial problems.

In an effort to make herself accessible O'Donnell says, "None of us are perfect."

Tea Party backed candidate then transitions in the ad to her core message that change is needed in Washington.

"None of us can be happy with what we see all around us. Politicians who think spending, trading favors and back-room deals are the ways to stay in office."

She finishes the ad vowing to "...go to Washington and do what you'd do. I'm Christine O'Donnell, and I approved this message. I'm you."

The ad, which was taped last week, begins airing Tuesday morning statewide, a source with knowledge of the ad strategy tells CNN. Because Delaware doesn't have its own television market campaigns have to buy time in Philadelphia and Salisbury, Maryland to cover the state. While refusing to disclose an exact amount, the source says it is a "substantial buy."

National Republicans had criticized the O'Donnell campaign for waiting this long to go up with paid advertising since it had raised more than two million dollars since her upset victory last month in the primary over Rep. Mike Castle.

When asked whether more ads would run this week, the source said they "could very well."

Republican Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell and Democratic Senate candidate Chris Coons will participate in a nationally televised debate on CNN on Oct 13th. The debate will be moderated by Wolf Blitzer, anchor of CNN's The Situation Room.

– CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. Amenhotepstein

She (didn't) turn me into a newt!

October 5, 2010 03:36 am at 3:36 am |
  2. John D.

No she is not me, I am not her, and frankly, I really, really want to keep it that way. Somebody PLEASE do us all a favor and send this goon back to Salem in the year 1692.

October 5, 2010 03:51 am at 3:51 am |
  3. Joe Blow

Please Deleware keep this intellectually challenged Sarah Palin look alike out of office!

October 5, 2010 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  4. sue

So what if she is or isn't.

October 5, 2010 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  5. WTF????

All she needs is her broom and black hat to match that dress to fly away. Wow! What a bad ad!

October 5, 2010 04:14 am at 4:14 am |
  6. Roger Ogilvy Thornhill

First we had voodoo economics, and now witchcraft? No thanks. :)

October 5, 2010 04:15 am at 4:15 am |
  7. Roger Ogilvy Thornhill

"I am not a witch" - Was she doing a Nixon parody when she said that? Just curious.

October 5, 2010 04:17 am at 4:17 am |
  8. Jon

As someone who couldn't care less about whether or not she's a witch or whatever, I am kind of worried about the fact that O'Donnell doesn't seem to be accepting any kind of media interviews or anything of the sort. If she's so down to earth, why won't she accept being cross-examined?

October 5, 2010 04:36 am at 4:36 am |
  9. Larry Bradenton, FL

Yea, she's not a witch like Nixon wasn't a crook!

October 5, 2010 04:42 am at 4:42 am |
  10. Mobius007

It's just some of that Satanic black magic stuff, trying to convince us that Satan is not her master. I don't buy it. ;-)

October 5, 2010 04:59 am at 4:59 am |
  11. joe

Yes change is needed! You've served one term now go home! All elected officals need to be replaced! We the people are sick and tired of all the fake promises of change oozing out of washington!

October 5, 2010 05:00 am at 5:00 am |
  12. Cynthia Whitford

She is not you or me or anyone with common sense. If Delaware elects her they get what they deserve. Unfortunately it will affect all of us. What is going on in politics lately. What a pack of sniveling bratty children.

October 5, 2010 05:15 am at 5:15 am |
  13. John D

No, she's not a witch. She's just a complete idiot with no qualifications whatsoever to be a US Senator.

October 5, 2010 05:16 am at 5:16 am |
  14. dont care what you Demoncrates say

so what about the other guy who took socialist classes, guess the media is bias, well witch or not, she has my vote rather than put lieing democrates back in office.

October 5, 2010 05:37 am at 5:37 am |
  15. Larry

Maybe not a Witch, but certainly an embarrassment to intelligent progressive women around the world

O'Donnell and Palin have both served to undermine what so many have fought to achieve for the women of this planet

If you don't have the intelligence to recognize your own lack of ability, how could you possibly properly serve the people of this country

Go home Christine, get a real job

October 5, 2010 05:38 am at 5:38 am |
  16. Charlie in Maine

Well let's just sit down for a spell. No you are not a witch. I believe you. You are also not fit to be dog catcher. Nothing personal, I'm sure you are a nice person but you are in the wrong field. Try Fox News.

October 5, 2010 06:00 am at 6:00 am |
  17. Ricefarmer

"I'm not a witch! I'm not a witch! They dressed me this way!"....

October 5, 2010 06:01 am at 6:01 am |
  18. Big Day

Wow! Candidate O'Donell isn't a witch. Duh?! Maybe because witches aren't real. Alot like her campaign. She's an oppurtunist like her buddy, Sarah Palin. Their "party" is controlled by even more oppurtunist. I'm thinking, when does America get an opportunity?

October 5, 2010 06:01 am at 6:01 am |
  19. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Like the backroom deal that Sharon Angle proposed to the Teabagger Express guy? These wingnuts are imploding at just the right time. Fox Lies won't cover this stuff.

October 5, 2010 06:12 am at 6:12 am |
  20. Charles

No, she is just a silly twit that hasn't got a clue. She also apparently lies about her education and mishandles her campaign finances.

October 5, 2010 06:22 am at 6:22 am |
  21. Marie MD

You might not be a witch but you are friends with one (or is she – that exorcism didn't work well) and the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top.
    Dabbling in witchcraft, humans and animals being bred to each other, mice with human brains. What a joke.
    BTW – I don't know who or what you are, but that ad of yours . . . . . I don't live in DE but if I did YOU ARE NOT ME!!

October 5, 2010 06:24 am at 6:24 am |
  22. Catie

Wow, people really make too much of everything. All you 50 plus'ers go back to when you were 20, I dare say there are many things you wish to erase. The whole point of growth and maturity is to better ourselves and gain wisdom from our mistakes. Lets see what she has been doing say the last 5-10 years not when she was 20.

October 5, 2010 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  23. Shannon

My god, these are the kind of candidates Republicans want to lead this country. "I'm not a witch". Why do they want to ruin America for the rest of us, who could take this kind of person seriously. I guess as long as you say you are a "Christian", you can follow it by anything else. Fools!

October 5, 2010 06:40 am at 6:40 am |
  24. Misfit

Wearing all black against a dark backdrop and declaring "I am not a witch": Priceless.

October 5, 2010 06:41 am at 6:41 am |
  25. Robert Moses

I'm not a witch, I'm not a witch - they dressed me like this!

I say put her on a scale and see if she weighs the same as a duck. We already know she is a quack, so that would be the final piece of evidence. And the irony is that it would be exactly the same sort of logic that teahadis use when trying to explain their twisted worldview.

October 5, 2010 06:43 am at 6:43 am |