October 4th, 2010

O'Donnell: 'I am not a witch'

Washington (CNN) – Playing off of her admission that she dabbled in witchcraft in high school, Delaware Senate Republican nominee Christine O'Donnell will launch her first television ad of the general election on Tuesday, in which she looks straight into the camera and tells the audience "I am not a witch. I'm nothing you've heard. I am you."

The last part of that line clearly references some of the unflattering information that has come to light in the last few weeks about O'Donnell, including inconsistencies in what she has said about her education and her personal and business financial problems.

In an effort to make herself accessible O'Donnell says, "None of us are perfect."

Tea Party backed candidate then transitions in the ad to her core message that change is needed in Washington.

"None of us can be happy with what we see all around us. Politicians who think spending, trading favors and back-room deals are the ways to stay in office."

She finishes the ad vowing to "...go to Washington and do what you'd do. I'm Christine O'Donnell, and I approved this message. I'm you."

The ad, which was taped last week, begins airing Tuesday morning statewide, a source with knowledge of the ad strategy tells CNN. Because Delaware doesn't have its own television market campaigns have to buy time in Philadelphia and Salisbury, Maryland to cover the state. While refusing to disclose an exact amount, the source says it is a "substantial buy."

National Republicans had criticized the O'Donnell campaign for waiting this long to go up with paid advertising since it had raised more than two million dollars since her upset victory last month in the primary over Rep. Mike Castle.

When asked whether more ads would run this week, the source said they "could very well."

Republican Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell and Democratic Senate candidate Chris Coons will participate in a nationally televised debate on CNN on Oct 13th. The debate will be moderated by Wolf Blitzer, anchor of CNN's The Situation Room.

– CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. bravado in boston

it freaks me out when she looks into the camera and says "i am you". YIKES! Hal9000, anyone?

I am not a witch, am not in foreclosure, have not failed to pay my staff, have not skimmed from donations from third parties, I have not lied about my education of where I went to school, I am NOT you, and YOU are not ME....after all, that is supporting cloning if you want to be ME, and we all know you do not have a stand on cloning, but you DO have a stand on self pleasure and I DO NOT think that is adultry......YOU are no John Kennedy, lady! YOU ARE NOT ME!!

October 5, 2010 06:45 am at 6:45 am |
  2. Robert Moses

Odoneell has not been putting the money she has raised into ads because she wanted to buy a nice house and a new car with it. You know, for campaign purposes. Her campaign account manager (herself) said that was ok.

October 5, 2010 06:45 am at 6:45 am |
  3. jost

She's either a witch or a whacko. It's one or the other. A whacko for first "dabbling" in witchcraft, and second for talking about it on a tv show, third for thinking it was funny. And no she could'nt have been a high school kid when she was doing her dabbling. She said the first time was a MIDNIGHT pinic. A high school kid would'nt have a date that started around midnight.

October 5, 2010 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  4. russinmaine

And if she were a witch, two things worth noting. 1) There is already one on the hill, she's been leader of the House for several years now! and 2) She would work well with the Warlock named Reid!

October 5, 2010 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  5. AmFem

The simple fact that she has to start this commercial off with "I am not a witch" shows that she is one BIZARRE chick. Mice with human brains? She had top secret intellegence documents stating that China was planning to take over the US? Combined with her chronic and habitual lying about her background and education makes me think she's pathological. Hey, she's a PERFECT TEA PARTY CANDIDATE!!!

October 5, 2010 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  6. Dave

I'm sure she's not a witch. Unfortunately, she's dumb as a post, half-insane, self-righteous, and a flaming hypocrite. In hindsight, the witch thing would probably be better...

October 5, 2010 07:03 am at 7:03 am |
  7. latherian

So logically... If she weighs the same as a duck... She's made of wood... and therefor... She's a witch! Burn her!!!

October 5, 2010 07:04 am at 7:04 am |
  8. jim atmadison

She is a Christian because the Krishnas wouldn't let her eat meatballs. She lied about several aspects of her educational background. She doesn't pay her bills and doesn't seem to have held a job recently. According to Karl Rove, she's too unqualified and 'nutty' for the job. Her positions, where they are discernible, are extreme.

Wake up, Independents and Democrats! If you don't vote in November, the Christine O'Donnels, Sharron Angles, Joe Millers and other extremists like them will have positions of real power in the US Senate and House as well as in your own state legislatures, or governors or attorney generals offices. Vote!

October 5, 2010 07:09 am at 7:09 am |
  9. Just_Me

Umm ... okay ... if you say so. *Rolls eyes*

October 5, 2010 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  10. BHfromKC

She's not a witch, but she plays one on TV. This is the type of serious "change agent" that we need in DC.

October 5, 2010 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  11. opalka10

So O'Donnell once "dabbled in witchcraft", amongst other things a few years ago. But Obama attending a school in Indonesia (not his choice by the way), and the Tea Party types hold THAT against him. Yet they support O'Donnell by saying "that was years ago".

Do you think now they see how stupid some of their previous barbs directed at Obama are? I doubt it.

October 5, 2010 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  12. u2canfail

NO, MS O, you are not me. Not even close!
    I work, for a living. You use campaign funds to live on. I pay taxes, and appreciate what the government does for me in return. (And by the way, in high school, I never dabbled in witchcraft. The stupid things I did had more to do with the boys I dated, none were against the law, or trendy.)

October 5, 2010 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  13. L

She needs to prove that she can analyze intelligently a difficult issue and craft a policy that can work.

Until then, she will continue to be a light weight who repeats sound bites without understanding what she is advocating.

While it's romantic to think about the Senate as being staffed by the ordinary people, but it needs the smartest most thoughtful people we can elect.

October 5, 2010 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  14. Regertz

Just an extreme right winger zealot with failed old answers who'd like to impose her vague canon of morality as God's law.

But as Bugs Bunny once said... "Aren't they all witches inside?"

October 5, 2010 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  15. Sybaris

How about closet fascist?

October 5, 2010 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  16. Funbags3

I don't care if you're a witch Chrissie. What I care about is what exactly are your plans to make Delaware a better place to live and do business. I don't care that you believe in "true love waits". I care about people losing their jobs and homes and what you and Chris Coons plan on doing to stop the loss. I care about your lack of care for anything other than your blind ambition to become a do-nothing celebrity politician. Your tv ad is vacuous and uninspiring.

October 5, 2010 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  17. Former Republican - Now Independent

The reason why you are not a witch, Ms. O'Donnell, is that you could not meet the minimum standards to get into Hogwarts.

But not to worry Christine ... that does not disqualify you from being a Tea Party candidator (actually it helps) nor does it mean that you cannot be elected as a U.S. Senator.

October 5, 2010 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  18. Terry

After listening to Christine O'Donnell speeches, hearing her past comments from television shows, and finally by reviewing the way she spends other people's money, I could not, in fair conscience, vote for her. She seems to know what she wants, but lacks the skills and knowledge to deliver on commitments.

October 5, 2010 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  19. Brian

You may not be a witch but you sure are a nut case!

October 5, 2010 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  20. MassiveMarbles

People who have experiences are more worldly and knowledgeable. They are able to make informed decisions and be unbiased. Whereas the close-minded type who is quick to criticize others are most often the ones proven to be ineligible for leadership.

October 5, 2010 07:43 am at 7:43 am |
  21. bob

the surest sign you are in fact a witch is that you have to insist you are not a witch.

October 5, 2010 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  22. iceaxedave

Lisa Murkowski, Nancy Pelosi and RuthBader-Ginsberg pass muster as witches...not O'Donnell. Have you seen them? Positively funerary! An Egyptian mummy has more skin tone! Without their bi-weekly human blood meal, they would dry up and blow away! O'Donnellis, if anything, a GOOD witch!

October 5, 2010 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  23. Joe

Love the new haircut, but this commercial would do little to convince me that she is ready to serve in the US Senate.

October 5, 2010 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  24. Steven P

I don't believe she is a witch any more than I believe Ms. Clinton to be capable of speaking with Eleanor Roosevelt in a séance.

October 5, 2010 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  25. Mark

She is not a witch but a total nut case. Why are crazy people like Palin and this nut job present in American politics during these difficult times?

October 5, 2010 07:53 am at 7:53 am |