October 5th, 2010

Biden's latest figure of speech

(CNN) - Vice President Joe Biden is known for his bluntness, and his comments Tuesday were no exception.

"If I hear one more Republican tell me about balancing the budget, I am going to strangle them," Biden said at a fundraiser in Minnesota. "To the press: that's a figure of speech."

It didn't take Biden long to go after Republicans and the Republicans' new "Pledge for America" that he said would increase the debt by $1 trillion.

"These guys have absolutely no credibility, no credibility on debt," Biden said. "This is the party of repeal and repeat. This is the Republican Tea Party."

Biden was introduced by former Vice President Walter Mondale at the event to raise money for former Sen. Mark Dayton, the Democratic nominee for governor in Minnesota. Dayton is facing state Rep. Tom Emmer in the November election. The winner of the general election will succeed Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty, who decided against running for a third term, and instead is considering a bid for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination.

Filed under: 2010 • Joe Biden • Minnesota
  1. Rick McDaniel

Biden is a complete and utter fool.

October 5, 2010 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  2. Four and The Door

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Yeah, it's been much more fun just spending without bound, hasn't it? Guess what, Joe? It's the majority of Americans worried about federal government spending. Wait 'till you see a congress that doesn't grant your every wish just based on empty promises. You and your boss are going to finally be held to some accountability.

October 5, 2010 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  3. Henry Miller, Libertarian, Cary, NC

No, the George Bush era GOP screwed up, badly, not only on balancing budgets, but on a lot of other things as well. The difference between them and the Dems, however, is that the GOP is at least making noises about having learned their lessons–some of them, anyway–but the Dems are still defiantly, and stupidly, insisting that they can spend the country out of bankruptcy

October 5, 2010 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  4. Michael Gonzales

Clinton did NOT balance the budget, Obama did not kill our budget and Bush did not kill the budget. CONGRESS balances the budget or kills it but it is the presidents that always try too claim credit for economy or get the blame when things go badly. It was a Republican controlled congress that balanced the budget in the 90's not clinton and a Republican congress in the 2000's that killed our budget and created a deficit. The only thing Ive seen a Democratic controlled congress do is spend us into a nightmare but the Republicans have shown they can fix things as well as mess things up also.

Michael Gonzales,
    Edgewood NM

October 5, 2010 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  5. vic, Nashville TN

VP i am with you

October 5, 2010 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  6. anthony

What part of what he said is not truth?
    Honestly answer yourselves this.
    He is a gaffe machine, yes, but he can also be very blunt and to the point with his truths.
    You can name call and rip Obama and the Dems all you want, but when youre done, can you actually provide any solutions or legitimate answers on how to fix ANYTHING?
    or are all you posters that one dimensional? I love how these cnn forums offer an outlet for us to dish all the insults we want while hiding behind a screen, yet I rarely see any of you using it as an actual forum to try and help fix the country.

Typical Americans.

October 5, 2010 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  7. southern cousin

You have to remember this is the same guy who named last summer "the summer of prosperity." That is real creditbiilty in the Democrat liberal world, I guess. That and so many other lies he tells. Neither he or his inept, inocmpetent, corrupt, union toady president have any credibility.

October 5, 2010 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  8. Ruissell NC

Biden is a loose cannon. Who would take him seriously?

October 5, 2010 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  9. Steve

Our dear VP should take a course in the English language. Quite obviously "them" should have been "him" or "her"

(If I hear "one" more Republican tell me about balancing the budget, I am going to strangle " them" Biden)

October 5, 2010 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  10. Robert Yepez

My favorite vice-president! :D

October 5, 2010 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  11. German,IrishAmerican

Of course Biden doesn't mention, or more likely just didn't understand, that it was Newt Gingrich and the majority Republican Congress that drug President Clinton kicking and screaming to sign the bills to balance the budget. It was because of the first Contract With America that Clinton finally went along with, plus the internet bubble, that gave us the balanced budget during the final years of the Clinton administration. But hey, when did the Obama administration ever let facts get in the way of their false, divisive, class envy talking points?

October 5, 2010 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  12. Stop whinning and start voting!!!

Go gett'em Uncle Joe!!!!!

October 5, 2010 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  13. Dave

Biden is a joke, trying to play the bully VP (and democrats do not get it that the VP is a role to play, blaming Cheney!).
    Fooled me with a fool once, shame on you, let's avoid same on us!

October 5, 2010 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  14. ST

Go and get them Mr. Vice President. No more fooling around!

October 5, 2010 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  15. Dennis K

Tell Biden I am a Republican and I want to see us have a balanced budget. You have spent us into economic oblivion you and your narcissistic friend Obama the neophyte.

You can come over and try and strangle me, just let me call the press, my lawyer and then he can have at it.

I will not touch him, as I do not want to go to jail, but I will press charges, so Joe bring your jail clothes.

October 5, 2010 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |