October 5th, 2010

Michelle Obama makes fundraising pitch

Washington (CNN) - First Lady Michelle Obama is teaming up with Democratic party officials to help fundraise in the final four weeks before the midterm elections.

In an email sent by the Democratic National Committee to members of Organizing for America, the party's grassroots wing, the First Lady says "our organizers and volunteers are knocking on doors every weekend, making calls every night. Your support will help to fund this work."

In the letter, Obama says President Barack Obama can't keep making progress without strong allies in Congress, and she makes a plea to those who worked or volunteered on her husband's presidential campaign.

"If the folks who I saw in 2008 - those of you who packed up your bags and slept on floors and made calls and talked to voters day after day - are ready to stand with us again, then I'm ready for any challenge that lies ahead. That's why we're asking you to help grow this movement once again," says Obama.

The DNC said that the First Lady will also be featured as "a special guest" on a call with Democratic supporters Wednesday.

Michelle Obama is also scheduled to hit the campaign trail starting next week, headlining events for at least nine Democratic candidates and two Democratic committees in the closing weeks of the midterm election.

A recent CNN/Opinion Research Corporation Poll indicated that 62 percent of Americans have a favorable opinion of the First Lady, while only 25 percent have an unfavorable view of her husband. Digging deeper into the survey, 58 percent of independents and 69 percent of women have a favorable opinion of Michelle Obama, making her a valuable asset on the campaign trail.

– CNN Senior Political Editor Mark Preston contributed to this report

Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @PsteinhauserCNN

Filed under: 2010 • DNC • Michelle Obama
  1. Jennifer

Best 1st lady ever.

October 5, 2010 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

The FLOYUS knows how to rake in the cash. Democrats in tough elections need to have the FLOTUS in their district. She sure knows how to bring the base out.

October 5, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  3. Fed Up

What is the problem Michelle? Just take the money from the food stamp program. The poor don't need it anyway. The election is much more important.

October 5, 2010 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. Gale

Yep, and if there is any money left over, she can go on vacation again. Ritz carlton taking reservations.

October 5, 2010 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  5. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I'm with you FLOTUS, ready and fired up.

October 5, 2010 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  6. CNN is trying to censor me

Best first lady ever!

October 5, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  7. 28 Days until Socialism dies in the United States

A First Lady performing political fund raising? Guess she now wants to be fair game.

And I hope this email or letter is not being composed in the Whitehouse using government equipment. Maybe time for our illustrious Justice Dept. to take a look... har, har, har

October 5, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  8. Mark

She will probably just have a flag burning with Ayers.

October 5, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  9. TOTAL FACT

When she gives up her drag on the taxpayers of America by her 22 aides at a cost of $3,500,000 annualy, I will donat $5,000. There is not danger of my having to do that. For she is one more useless First Lady. Take another vacation Michelle. You are worthless for any cause just like your husband. G.. D... America!!!

October 5, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  10. kakaraka

Beautiful than Sarah Palin. Qui dit mieux!

October 5, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  11. T'SAH from Virginia

Michelle Obama is one of the classiest First Ladies in our history and she will go down in history as that!!!! She is especially an inspiration to young female African American children and an inspiration to all Americans!! I have seen in my day and age, finally, someone truly positive for young adults to look up to!! Thank you Michelle Obama!!!

This is T'SAH from Virginia and I DEFINITELY approve this message!!!

October 5, 2010 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  12. Snow

How can anyone have a favorable opinion of her? She fakes her gardening at the White House, slams others for eating junk food but eats it herself. She is the same as her husband, don't do what I do but rather do what I say. I think it's time for her and the whole family to go on another vacation even though they just returned from one.

October 5, 2010 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  13. What will America Be Under the Rule of the Tea Party?

Just ask that family in Tennessee who's house burned to ground while the "privitized" fire department stood by watching.

October 5, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  14. Rick McDaniel

Sorry.......I am opposed to Democrats, so I will NOT be donating.

October 5, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  15. stufthis

It is going to be difficult to overcome the donations to the GOP from the Koch Brothers, Wall Street, Fox, Big Oil, China and Saudi Arabia. The republicans have always made sure that government is for sale to the highest bidder.

October 5, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  16. #Omegaraiel

Jesus and I approve of this message. Follow me on twitter to read my gospel.

October 5, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  17. stevegee

That's rich! Michelle Obama asking for donations to help the Democrats get re-elected so they can stand idly by while the largest tax hike in history goes into effect.

People, don't be duped again by their "hope and change" snake oil. Since day one, Obama and the Democraps have been pushing their Socialist agenda since day one - ObamaCareless, Stimulust, Cap-and-Tax, Czars, and soon the largest tax hike ever!

On November 2nd, vote for the American principles of freedom and liberty, vote Conservative, vote Republican.

October 5, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  18. Catie

While I really like Michelle Obama. Particularly in her role to help school children. I was always under the impression that once in the White House you became the peoples President and wife, not the demo or rep person in the White House. I am disappointed that she is getting so deeply into the politics of office. She was not elected, her role is to host White House events. This is not coposetic

October 5, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  19. Big George in Big D

Give is a rest woman! You're team is history – and it can't come soon enough. Your husband has ruined this country!

October 5, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |