Both Obamas fundraising for their party
October 6th, 2010

Both Obamas fundraising for their party

(CNN) - President Barack Obama heads to suburban New York City Wednesday afternoon to help raise money for his party.

The president is the main attraction at a fundraiser for the Democratic National Committee in Cresskill, New Jersey. According to a Democratic party official, the event is a 50-person dinner at a private residence, with tickets up to $30,400 per plate. The fundraiser is expected to raise around $1 million for the DNC, which has pledged to spend $50 million this campaign cycle to help Democratic candidates in the midterm elections.

The president's trip comes as first lady Michelle Obama also teams up with the DNC to help fundraise in the final four weeks before the midterm elections. The DNC says the first lady will be featured as "a special guest" on a call with Democratic supporters Wednesday.

Tuesday, in an e-mail sent by the DNC to members of Organizing for America, the party's grassroots wing, the first lady made a fundraising plea, saying "our organizers and volunteers are knocking on doors every weekend, making calls every night. Your support will help to fund this work."

Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @psteinhausercnn

Filed under: 2010 • Michelle Obama • President Obama
  1. diridi

Obsms, you are doing excellent job. Please do not give up. GOP thugs ruined this nation playing, relegion, abortion, etc., in this 21st century. People are wide awake. I shall send some money to national democratic party. Good luck. We love you, Pres. Obama. Investigate, Rush Limbaugh, Karl Rowe, and John Bohner's taxes. Audit by IRS. Found guilty, put them in jail....

October 6, 2010 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  2. Peon

Wish I could afford $30,400 for a plate. Wish I had a job so I could buy some paper plates.

October 6, 2010 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  3. Can't We All Just Get Along?

They're such a great couple!

October 6, 2010 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  4. Orlando Patriot

I am just curious how the Barack Hussein Obama feels about being the most incompetent and useless president in the last 100 years? He thought he was a "savior" but when your only experience is a Community Organizer who has never been a leader in his life (even at home – you can tell Michelle "wears the pants" in the house) or ever even held a REAL job it shows. He has caused more damage in less than 2 years than ANY president in history (Jimmy Carter had that record but Obama has made Jimmy Carter look like a great president). So, how is that whole "Hope and Change" working out for you now??

October 6, 2010 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  5. terry, va

Wonder how many common folk will be at this $30,400 per plate dinner? I know none of the 14 million unemployed will be. How about all the college kids....huh...nope. Where's his base?

October 6, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  6. T'SAH from Virginia

If I were RICH and had nothing else to do with my money I would attend this dinner just to meed President Obama!!! I do send donations when I have the money but it never exceeded $25!!!!

DEMOCRATS – let's UNITE the BASE and WIN this RACE in November 2010!!

This is broke T'SAH from Virginia and I approve this message!!!

October 6, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  7. Milo

How about they doing some private fund raising (no not tax increases) for the 16 million you put out of work with your economic policies?

October 6, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  8. Obama is a poor man's Carter

Not leading the country, Obamas are fundraising and campaigning. Luckily they aren't just vacationing.

His policies have proven to be a joke and now he wants voters to expand on that. Vote the bums out–including Obama in 2010.

October 6, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |