October 7th, 2010

O'Donnell to release second ad pushing the 'I'm You' theme

Washington (CNN) - In the second ad released this week, Delaware Senate Republican candidate Christine O'Donnell again uses the line "I'm You" trying to portray herself as someone who understands the everyday problems of citizens.

In the new 30-second spot, she says "I didn't go to Yale. I didn't inherit millions like my opponent." Her Democratic opponent is Chris Coons, who is a county executive in the state. He grew up in Delaware and attended Amherst College and then Yale Law School as well receiving a master's degree in ethics from Yale Divinity School before going into law practice.

As she did in her first ad released earlier this week, O'Donnell looks straight into the camera talking for the entire time.

In it she says "I know how tough it is to make and keep a dollar. When some tried to push me from this race they saw what I was made of. And so will the Senate if they try to increase our taxes one more dime."

She closes both of her ads with the "I'm You" tag line.

The ad is again a state-wide buy, according to a source with knowledge of the ad. Her commercials are being produced by Strategic Perceptions, the company owned by Republican consultant Fred Davis.

While she speaks of her opponent's education, her own education background has become a source of controversy. A LinkedIn online profile of her said she studied at Oxford University when in fact she took a course at the Phoenix Institute, which has an affiliation with Oxford. In an earlier statement, she said she had never authorized anyone to establish the profile on LinkedIn. "I have always been clear about my educational background," she said in that statement.

Separately she had said she graduated from Farleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey, but it turns out she only received her bachelor's degree in early September of this year.

The release of the ads come as O'Donnell and her campaign are becoming more publically active than in the first weeks following her upset victory in the primary when her events were not open to media coverage and her schedule was not made available to the media. Today the campaign sent out an advisory listing an event she was attending.

Also today the campaign unveiled a new website which encourages more interactive involvement. Through online efforts, the campaign says it has raised more than $3 million dollars online.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. Pollwatcher

She's the voice of the tea party, and that voice is idiotic.

October 7, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  2. Shari from Madison

This woman is nuts. She isn't me and won't ever be me. Her ideas are so elitist and stupid. I pray people will see her as the hypocrite she is.

October 7, 2010 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  3. Tulsa

No, you are not me. I do not lie to cover my past. I didn't use contributions to my campaign to live on. I don't think it's right to condemn people for what they do in private. I don't lie about my education, or lack thereof. No, I am not you. In fact most Americans are not you. They work for a living.

October 7, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  4. Shannon

and America has said, no you are not. Most of us don't steal from donated money, most of us don't repeatedly lie, most of us don't believe the goverment has implanted mice with human brains, most of us think what we do in our bedrooms is private, and nobody else's business. Most of us don't choose our religion based on whether or not we like meatballs. So Christine you aren't most Americans, and here's some advice, campaign funds aren't supposed to be your meal ticket, at some point you actually have to get a job. Most Americans do that too, Christine, unlike you, you haven't held a job since 2004.

October 7, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  5. Marko

Oh in so many ways you are not me and in so many ways you are not the vast majority of Americans. The only way that you are even a topic right now is that Americans are blinded by fear and frustration. Hopefully they will calm down in the next few weeks and put you back into obscurity.

October 7, 2010 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  6. ej-mohammed

She's definitely not me! She's like a Sarah Palin clone no substance whatsoever!!
    Good luck Delaware Coons is someone you can be proud of.
    EJ in Tacoma

October 7, 2010 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  7. Jacob, Denver

She definitely ISN'T me.

October 7, 2010 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  8. anagram_kid

Well let's see I pay my bills and have a job, so I guess she is not me.

October 7, 2010 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  9. Mikey

She didn't go to Yale because she is not even remotely qualified. They tend to accept smart people. What is it with the Tea Party and dimwit candidates? Please tell me, if the Tea Party is about fiscal responsibility, why are most of their candidates extreme religious nutcases? Or is the Tea Party the same old batch of culture wariors and reactionaries we have been dealing with for decades, just dressed up as Libertarians this time?

O'Donnell is one of a long list of unqualified, extreme right-wing candidates on ballots this fall. Hopefully none of them will get elected. PLEASE, just say no to O'Donnell, Palladino, Paul, Angle, Buck, Miller, Bachmann, Fox, Tancredo, Quayle, Brewer, and McMahon.

October 7, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  10. La Piovra

Nope, she ain't me. My master's degree is real, my law degree is real, and when paying bills got tough, I never whipped up a campaign comittee to pay them.

October 7, 2010 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  11. Liz

Only a republican would view education, particularly an Ivy League one, as a detriment. In their eyes, anyone who can read beyond a sixth grade level is some high-falutin elitist. Let's hope the people of Delaware don't make the same mistake as Alaska.

October 7, 2010 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  12. Henry

The next ad will have her saying, "I'm not you if you're rational, tolerant and open-minded. I'm theocracy incarnate. I'm for bring back the Inquisitions. I'm ... I'm a fruitcake before its season. I'm ... duh ... duhmb."

October 7, 2010 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  13. Annie, Atlanta

Am I missing something? What ever happened to honor, decency, integrity, or just plain old intelligence? You know, the kinds of things we used to look for in our politicians.

This woman is not me. She's not most of us. Where do we sign on for a gig that let's us spend donations on our bills? I want in.

October 7, 2010 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  14. ThinkAgain

What's with the steam rising from the cauldron in the background of her ads?

October 7, 2010 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  15. carly

Lets see on one hand you have a liar who practiced witchcraft, misued campaign funds and doesn't believe in evolution and chose her religion based on her eating habits. Oh, and lets not forget she has not had a real job in years (unrelated to this downturn). On the other hand you have a candidate who "attended Amherst College and then Yale Law School as well receiving a master's degree in ethics from Yale Divinity School before going into law practice."

This is a tough one.

October 7, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  16. ThinkAgain

She's not me, and here's why:

1. I have never falsified my resume.

2. I actually went to the university I claim to have gone to.

3. I've never embezzled funds.

4. I've been gainfully employed ever since I graduated from college.

5. Although I am a spiritual person, I've never bounced around from one extreme ideology to another.

6. If I truly believed in the tenets of a religion, I wouldn't let something as silly as giving up meatballs stand in my way of knowing God and living a virtuous life.

7. I strive to be accountable – and if I say something (especially if it's videotaped), I don't call myself a victim when others remind me of my words, unflattering though they may be.

So, Christine, no you are most emphatically NOT me!

October 7, 2010 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  17. billy

You are NOT me. I actually want a educated, intelligent person as a US Senator.

October 7, 2010 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  18. kayla

you are not me. i am not tea party. tea party is hate.

October 7, 2010 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  19. Nancy5545

No Christine – you are not like me. I don't steal money – I work for it. Give me a break. Is anyone stupid enough to buy this garbage? We shall see in 26 days.

October 7, 2010 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  20. roro

This nutcase is definitely NOT ME!!

October 7, 2010 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  21. blah blah

yeah you too stupid to go to college!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 7, 2010 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  22. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Sorry Lady, they broke the mold when they made you...Thank God!

October 7, 2010 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  23. Arjun

Not all of us that went to Ivy-League caliber schools are sons and daughters of millionaires. I worked my way up, along with the majority of my classmates. The more Repubs try to distance high-achievers from the concept of "being American," the more they undermine our country. We should all be striving our hardest to achieve as much as we can, on merit. Too bad Republicans would rather be divisive than collaborators.

October 7, 2010 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  24. Oy Vey Az

What is all this ? A reality show ? If you look like Sarah you have a shot at becoming a political diva ? My heavens ... can you see an army of Sarah clones marching against everything ?

October 7, 2010 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  25. T'SAH from Virginia

Dang – Same BLACK dress and white pearls – they must have shot all of her ads in one day!! This ad sounds like Part II of a LONG saga!!

This YOU thing is NOT resonating with me – and I truly believe it's NOT resonating with DE voters!!! She mentions she did NOT go to YALE – but yet she lied about the schools she attended!! She mentions she is NOT and did not inherit millions – but yet she's ACCUSED of stealing campaign funds!!!

She just dug herself deeper in a hole because she reminded voters about her SCHOOL CAREER – which is negative – And she reminded voters about her MONEY situation, which was also questionable!!

O'Donnell – YOU are not ME!!!

This is T'SAH from Virginia reminding DE voters to continue to STATE the CASE and mean it and keep the BASE UNITING to win in November 2010!!! I approve this message!

October 7, 2010 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |