October 10th, 2010

SNL makes its own Christine O'Donnell ad

(CNN) – Move over Sarah Palin. Saturday Night Live has found its new favorite political target.

The late night comedy show took aim at surprise Delaware Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell for a second time Saturday, spoofing her recent ad in which the Republican declares, “I am not a witch.”

“Hi, I am Christine O’Donnell and I am not a witch, I am nothing like you’ve heard,” SNL’s portrayal of O’Donnell – played by Kristen Wiig - says in the mock ad. “I am you, and just like you I have to constantly deny that I am not a witch.”

"Isn't that what the people of Delaware deserve?” SNL’s O’Donnell continues. "A candidate who promises first and foremost that she's not a witch? That's the kind of candidate Delaware hasn't had since 1692."

O'Donnell herself responded on Twitter to the skit Sunday, writing, “SNL skit was really funny... and I have to admit, her hair looked better than mine.”

Full script of the "ad": Video here.

Hi I am Christine O’Donnell and I am not a witch, I am nothing like you’ve heard. I am you, and just like you I have to constantly deny that I am a witch.

Isn't that what the people of Delaware deserve? A candidate who promises first and foremost that she's not a witch? That's the kind of candidate Delaware hasn't had since 1692.

And that’s why, if elected to the human Senate I promise to fly straight down to Washington – on a plane – and do exactly what you would do, not spells.

Besides, if I were a witch, why wouldn’t I just cast a spell making all of you forget that I am witch? It’s certainly not because the spell requires one newt per person, and I lack a sufficient number of newts.

I know the problems facing our nation, because I have been living among you, since I moved to Delaware from the black forests from Germany almost three thousand years ago.

So this November 2nd, vote for Christine O’Donnell, aka Sereda the Enchantress. Because I am not a witch. And if I am, do you really want to cross me, I didn’t think so.

Paid for the Coven to Elect Christine O’Donnell, who is not a witch.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell
  1. ChollyGee

The collapse of the system of education is made crystal clear in this country when emptyheaded ditzes like O'Donnell are even CONSIDERED for a run for the United States Senate. Delaware's population is so small that it is possible to contemplate fooling enough of a percentage of voters to have this airhead–who is not fit to be a grocery store manager, let alone Senator–end up being in the Senate. You want to see evidence of the collapse of Western civilization? Look no further than the names Angle, O'Donnell, Palin, Paladino.

October 10, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  2. Geoffgio

SNL ... among the leaders in late-night entertainment irrelevance. How these "actors" continue to draw paychecks is beyond me. Even looking back at some of the classic episodes of the first five seasons, one is struck by how stilted, uninventive and unfunny so much of their material is.

October 10, 2010 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  3. Old_Perfessor

Don't get bent out of shape everyone. This IS a comedy show (although that has been debatable over the last few years). Besides, if you don't want to be made fun of...why did you do stupid stuff?! It's funny (ha, ha) on SNL, and funny (strange) that she's even running for anything.

October 10, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  4. Shannon

I love when the conservatives here can't defend this woman, so they attack someone on the left instead. Why the interest, because this woman, along with most of the baggers running is crazy, and most Americans don't want crazy people in our government.

October 10, 2010 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  5. Sebastian

Conservative women politicians - turn them upside down and they all look and smell alike.

October 10, 2010 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  6. Steve851

This article belongs in the entertainment section, not the political section. And really, at this point, the O'Donnell thing has gotten really old.

October 10, 2010 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  7. Sare

Enough Already, At least SNL is exposing this absolute non-sense!!!!! I can,t wait till Palin gets her spot on SNL again!!! I love to see this kind of truth really come out for these TP voters to ( GET a Clue !!!! )

October 10, 2010 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  8. slavedriver

The skit was funny. The lack of humor today is really deflating. Anhone who takes the character assanations on both sides....please don't vote because you just don't or won't ever get it.

October 10, 2010 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  9. catmom

Oh for goodness sakes! The right has no problem demonizing President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama. We have listened to them non stop 24/7 saying all sorts of mean, hateful, racist things. Totally disrespecting the Office of the Presidency and the President for two years prior to the election. The media and right wing talk radio doing the same thing. Heaven forbid they focus on someone else. Heaven forbid the media point out the craziness of the tea party candidates. Heaven forbid they actually vet the candidates. Of course the people complaining don't want these people vetted. They are the very ones that ignored the media coverage of President Obama whining that no one vetted him but here they whine when the media shows the American people who the tea party candidates really are. I mean after all most of the tea party candidates refuse to talk to the media since their views have become public. I'm just sayin..........

October 10, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  10. ron

What a joke these teabaggers turned out to be.

October 10, 2010 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  11. A Country Fallen

Why is CNN targeting O'Donnell? Good question. Is it because she is female? I noticed the hostile interview the CNN reporter had with O'Donnell and she stood her ground...and she did not bow! This is the new thing with the MSM...Salyinski-style character assassination is their new strategy. The only problem is that American's have finally awaken to these tactics used by the far left. John Stewart was right....the media is corrupt! Instead of focusing on the issues, what matters to Americans, and the deep divide that exists in our nation today, CNN and their "Comrades" continue to further divide us. That my friends...is un-American

October 10, 2010 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  12. Sam Sixpack

SNL panders to naive children – then cnn advertises it to further a crooked agenda. The reality: your heroes stole your grandmother's Medicare. The shortfall will appear in just a couple of years and then – bye, bye grandma. You’ll pretend your lazy ignorance is some kind of excuse. You'll only be fooling yourself and other idiots.

October 10, 2010 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  13. FM

Oh poor Christine O'Donnell. She has been vetted by the media than any other candidate from the bunch of candidates in the entire Tea Party. I wish they could have done the same to the rest of candidates!

October 10, 2010 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  14. Jonboy

For our Halloween party, my wife is dressing up as Christine odonnel with a smart business suit, a string of pearls and a witch hat. We're also pinning a rubber mouse with glasses on to her lapel (mouse with fully functioning human brain.)

October 10, 2010 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  15. catmom

Correction: My statement should have read: They are the ones that ignored the media coverage for two years prior to the election.

People have been whining about President Obama not being vetted even though he was vetted non stop for two years leading up to the election. Now they complain that the media is covering the tea party candidates who refuse to speak to the media and answer questions about their views of issues already made public.

October 10, 2010 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  16. Katie

Is it obsession to show people the reality of the really, really unqualified candidates? Four years ago no one, and I do mean NO ONE would have given this woman a glance once her entire financial history came to light. The abuse of campaign funds alone would have shut her right out of any running. But in this day and age when people seem to have completely lost their minds and are willing to vote in thugs, celebrities, and people who have no command of the English language, it's downright frightening to see the lack of integrity in candidates. We should be obsessed with this trend – these are the people who potentially are deciding our future.

October 10, 2010 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  17. roro

The skit was funny, but the really scary part is that she has gotten as far as she has. Anyone who votes for this airhead must be under some sort of spell.

October 10, 2010 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  18. Mr. T. Bag

Some clown wrote, "I love how the media is doing their best to demonize this woman. " Aww. –Christie-poo is actually demonizing herself, with her past and present comments - as are the other extremist Tea Party candidates.

Some people think FOX news is actually "fair and balanced." If you want to talk about demonizing - look at the way President Obama has been treated. –How many times was he called, "Foreign, Muslim, Socialist, Communist, Fascist, Blah, Blah, etc., etc." on FIXED-FOX NOISE??

October 10, 2010 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  19. Skunkbud

I am not a witch.

Have you ever had to say that or felt the need? Is she really that dumb? I say yes.

October 10, 2010 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  20. vic nashville tn

After Christine O’Donnell surface Tea Party momentum gone

Guess who is she

October 10, 2010 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  21. Peace

Is this the way how witch looks like (playing piano)? I thought it is a skeleton!

October 10, 2010 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  22. Annie, Atlanta

Paul from Kissimmee – sweetie, you've been lied to about us "libs" taking SNL skits seriously. Wonder how many other lies you believe, don't you?

October 10, 2010 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  23. Next Palin

I dunno about SNL not being funny since the 80's....I watched it then and I don't now, but only because I'm not tuned in to the culture they are poking fun at....and I'm guessing you aren't either. After all, SNL poked fun at every single president since it's inception....you just aren't laughing anymore. And neither am I. But only because it's scarier now.

October 10, 2010 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  24. derek

All this free publicity is just what ANY candidate needs. BRAVO SNL!!!!!! Instead of hurting O'Donnell, I think this may actually help her....maybe you should start doing more Obama skits, something tells me he may need it soon.

October 10, 2010 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  25. TexGal

@Paul from Kissimmee – are you serious? "It'll be interesting to see how many libs take it seriously." I think that everyone knows that SNL is a comedy program so I don't think anyone will take is seriously, liberal or conservative. It's a spoof of a real Christine O'Donnell political commercial where she says VERY similar words denying she is a witch to counter a clip that Bill Maher showed from one of his shows where O'Donnell said that she had dabbled in witchcraft. Too funny that you would immediately want to cast aspersions on "libs" because of a skit. Maybe you should write for SNL.

October 10, 2010 11:29 am at 11:29 am |