October 13th, 2010

Christine O'Donnell: How'd she do?

Washington (CNN) - Before Wednesday's Delaware Senate debate, the bulk of what people knew about Republican candidate Christine O'Donnell came from clips from a talk show from the 1990s.

In the month since O'Donnell rocked the political world with her upset win over Rep. Mike Castle in the Republican primary, she's dominated headlines despite avoiding the national media.

Wednesday's debate, co-moderated by CNN's Wolf Blitzer and longtime Delaware news anchor Nancy Karibjanian, could prove to be make or break for O'Donnell's Senate bid. She and Democrat Chris Coons are vying to fill the seat held for nearly four decades by now-Vice President Joe Biden.

Full Story

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell
  1. LacrosseMom(real one)

Wow...... no comments? I watched 1/2 of the debate and became so frustrated by Wolf Blitzer that I had to turn off the TV. WHY didn't CNN insist she answer the abortion question by saying, "Answer the question." And when she laughed at Coons, when he was speaking about the cost of the Afghan war, why didn't the moderators ask "Ms. O'Donnell what is so funny?" Also when she said she had some sort of degree from Claremont..... WHY didn't the moderators challenge this lie?!
    Maddening.

I hope that the people of Delaware watched this debate and concluded not to send O'Donnell to the U.S. Senate!

October 14, 2010 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  2. AmericanCitizen

Chris Coons won hands down... Christine O'Donnell couldn't answer the simple question of supreme court decisions... uhhh hello? Citizen United Vs. Federal Election Commission... Horrible supreme court decision.

October 14, 2010 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  3. Wilson

She kept pointing fingers instead of answering simple question. Wolf asked her whether she supports negotiation between Taliban and Karzai , she did not answer the question as asked. She kept dodging questions. She does not fit to lead Delaware.

October 14, 2010 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  4. Name

I encourage Ms. O'Donnel to seriously consider improving her English, especially her grammar. I was taken aback by the numerous errors she made.

October 14, 2010 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  5. sILVA

Not well at all. She lies a lot. If Delaware elects this woman the country is in a world of hurt.

October 14, 2010 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  6. Carolyn Smithson

I thought Ms. O'Donnell did very well in the debate. I was pleasantly surprised.

October 14, 2010 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  7. Julene

From all the ads, I was very wary of her, but after the debate, I would vote for her now. Especially how unfair the moderators were to her many times. Especially the lady, she was the witch.

October 14, 2010 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  8. rp

Funny, if it weren't for the liberal views of our Founding Fathers ... there would have never been a US Constitution, much less a United States, and, thus, the conservative colonists would have burnt O'Donnell at the stake decades ago.

October 14, 2010 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  9. VR

O'Donnell surprised me. I didn't expect this, considering how she's been portrayed in the media. If she is "way out there" Coons who is suppose to be an experienced congressman should have done better. He is more left than he wants others to believe.Obama will campaign for him on Friday in Delaware. A Marxist? I think so! O'Donnell may not have the Pedigree but she has the message. By the way, Nancy came off as being rude and Wolf did a good job.

October 14, 2010 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  10. Chuck

Watching the debate between Coons and O'Donnell and i was struck by how one-sided CNN, Wolf Blitzer and Nancy Karibjanian have shown to be....when the question was asked about medical benefits, especially ObamaCare, it was 3 on 1, and I did not see Mr. Coons have to answer the same question, but he was allowed to gang up on Ms. O'Donnell. And, in fact, Ms. Nancy Karibjanian and Mr. Blitzer did not allow Ms. O'Donnell to finish a question before they injected additional questioning. The same line did not occur when Mr. Coons responded, where Mr. Blitzer and Ms Karibijanian allowed him to finish a question without interruption! What a shame that your biases show through like that and common courtesy is not followed for ALL the debatees! After watching this, I'm going to donate as much as I can afford to Ms. O'Donnell! Shame on you Mr. Blitzer and Ms. Karibjanian! How absolutely unfair and biased you are. It is no wonder you've fallen behind other cable news networks. You have no courtesy or couth.

October 14, 2010 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  11. guest123

We already knew there was little substance to O'Donnell. I just never imagined there would be that little.

October 14, 2010 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  12. misnomer58

Overall Ms. O'Donnell came across as not politically savvy. Although, I so agree with her whole heartedly on the Don't-Ask/Don't Tell issue.

October 14, 2010 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  13. michael rogerson

these cnn analysis do not like O'donnell please are thy from the getto

October 14, 2010 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  14. mary

I think she did as well as palin did on the VP debate and seen as how palin isn't the VP right now, mrs O'donnell better start getting ready to run again for her fourth or fifth time. Sorry but you are not me.

October 14, 2010 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  15. kay

She is a joke. She makes her living running for office. She is an air head.She didn't really answer the questions and gave talking points.

October 14, 2010 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  16. Karl Rove was right, she says nutty things.

Sad that the Republicans have sink so low with these Tea Party candidates. If I were the Democrats I would warm up the ethic committee. The Republicans will have their hand full with these untested loose cannons.

October 14, 2010 03:49 am at 3:49 am |
  17. Don Wuerl

Is this woman crazy? I don't think that the fine people of Dover will forget what thier former school board members were trying unsuccessfully stick down their citizens' throats-ID! Will this nutcase attempt to redo this? She has publically stated that Evolution is a myth; however, her education is also a myth! She chose the christian faith because she loves meatballs. I don't believe that Mr. Coons will have to state very much; this wingnut will continue to shoot herself in the foot(figuratively speaking, of course). Before I close, I do thank Ms. O'Donnell for laughter she causes for all of us sane folks. LOL!

October 14, 2010 03:50 am at 3:50 am |
  18. jules sand-perkins

Christine O'Donnell is no Sarah Palin.

October 14, 2010 03:56 am at 3:56 am |
  19. barry

O'Donnell is beat already. No hope for her to win. I'd like to see more news on competitive races especially the senate. The House will go Republican it's just a matter of how big the majority. The Senate will most likely either be 49 to 49 with the 2 independents or Democrats have a slim majority. There is a long shot for the Republicans to win the senate more stories on the 5 or 6 states that are toss ups would be nice. Continuing to cover O'Donnell is fruitless unless CNN just enjoys picking her apart the Delaware race is over.

October 14, 2010 04:18 am at 4:18 am |
  20. jules sand-perkins

O'Donnell reminds me of an economically privileged sixth-grade student who is doing pretty well in her class's annual spelling tournament and has just come home for milk and cookies to her prodigy mother.

October 14, 2010 04:39 am at 4:39 am |
  21. EJL

According to O'Donnell we were fighting the Russians in Afghanistan. When did that happen?
    Is she another Sarah Palin? "I can see Russia from my...?

October 14, 2010 04:51 am at 4:51 am |
  22. bebe

My opinion is the people of Delaware would be crazy to vote for her..Delaware is a rich state compared to most...Delaware has so many good things going on for the people that live there..If they want to lose all the benefits they've had for years, due to Democrat leadership, then "let them pick their own poison"

October 14, 2010 05:01 am at 5:01 am |
  23. gale godfrey

we watxhed some of it. she was a mock up of palin. it is very obuious, that the only reason she is running is for the money. she hopes to get rich off of lies. like palin has done( who is going to fall soon). we caughr her in so many lies, we were laughing so hard that our stomachs hurt! beware americans vote democrat if you want to get your job, and your home. the republicans work for whoever pays them the most. they will not tell the puplic where all the campaign money is coming from. these is a big warning sigh people of what they really want to do with our country. sell it to the highest bidder!

October 14, 2010 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  24. Marie MD

Just like her mentor from AK she couldn't name one supreme court case but she will get back to ya' and post it on her website.
    Too late. You are talking about the supreme court and you can't name one single court case?????
    Yes, you are definitely ready to lead.
    What a bimbo!!

October 14, 2010 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  25. Marie MD

She should have worn some color. Maybe not red because she would have reminded everyone of what's her face from AK, but a little color. At least she didn't wear her glasses.
    All she really needed with that black outfir was a witch hat. Halloween is around the corner christine. Any good potions.

October 14, 2010 06:27 am at 6:27 am |