October 13th, 2010

Delaware debate live blog: Update #9

After O'Donnell's comments about immigration Coons says: "If you can reconcile those comments, you'll be an even more talented reporter than I think you are."

Watch the debate live at and follow our live blog here.

Filed under: 2010 • Delaware
  1. john jupiter

She is much smarter than the media portrayed, she has my vote

October 13, 2010 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  2. jason

I think it's shameful how one-sided this debate has been. Both "moderators" and Coons all attacking O'donnell. So much for a fair debate on the Clinton News Network. It's no wonder Fox News destroys you in ratings. Who wants to watch this crap?

October 13, 2010 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  3. Judith

How would we know? Can we get back to watching the debate? Enough with the miners! We've got election concerns here!!!!@!

October 13, 2010 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  4. Steven Dold

Am seriously disappointed that you chose to break away from TV coverage of the Delaware debate to join Sptizer. Really!?

October 13, 2010 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  5. r. smith

CNN really dropped the ball in abruptly switching from the debate to what was labeled "breaking news" and clearly was not that urgent. Poor judgment CNN.

October 13, 2010 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  6. hmmmm

it's embarassing to watch a very smart man, coons, have to debate an idiot. we're 21st in science and south korea is number 1, and o'donnell doesn't believe in evolution and wants local schools to decide what they want to teach. omg. i'm glad i'm old enough that in 20 years i won't have to see america a third world country with idiots like o'donnell in the spotlight.

October 13, 2010 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  7. 8 Years of "Trickle Down" economics has only left a dribbling wet spot on working Americans's shoes!

This may be the best thing Coons has ever done, I am thinking he could be Presidential material!

October 13, 2010 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  8. Jim Rizzolo

Whose stupid idea was it to switch off the Coons/McDonald debate.... and put the chilian miner rescue.... which has been on for the last 12 hours showing exactly the same thing over and over.... the reporters are running out of adjectives.... The debate was facinating..... and you switched it off... no wonder why no one is watching CNN anymore!

October 13, 2010 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  9. trace

Ask Coons about being sued for violating our Federal civil rights,aka his instant ticket program where you pay the fine FIRST than fight the charge.

October 13, 2010 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  10. Greenone

Is the Tea party joking?Can they come up with anyone that is competent? Give me a break!

October 13, 2010 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  11. Todd Schmidt

Coons is just an old time establishment politician who talks about what McDonnell says but has theological and Marxist backround

October 13, 2010 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  12. janet Yurecja

Thisis the first time in my 63 years that I have been so appled with poititic and reporting. What have we come to? I refuse to listson to Oconnel.. Discusting, Not even in the loop. Certainaly not helping us to make our US a better place.Uninformed, naive. I am so angry about debate as a college educated individual -–
    Janet Yurecka

October 13, 2010 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  13. Andy Skeen

This is the quote worthy of an official "update" for the debate? I guess is does encompass the caddiness of the left in this discussion.

October 13, 2010 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  14. Stephan in Indianapolis

Rather than continuing the fascinating debate between Chris Coons & Christine O'Donnell, which is highly timely, CNN chose to cut to the rescue of miner # 32 in Chile . It seems a bit suspicious that CNN would cut to the rescue of miner #32 when of course #33 is of more significance, given that he was the driving force behind the minders' survival, as their "captain:. So, had been a cut to that, I would have understood.
    In the meantime Ms. O'Donell was getting further and further mired up in unenteligible responses to perfectly reasonable questions, as should be expected of her. Was this a conscious decision by CNN to "cut their losses" because the O'Donell-Coons debate was not giving them the rating they wanted? Or was it an attempt to stifle what was threatening to be a very one-sided win by Coons, just because of his superiority? Who knows.
    At any rate. I fault CNN for that switching decision. I, as a voter (even though not a Delawarian) feel cheated.

October 13, 2010 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  15. Martha

As a former Delaware resident...I wish I could vote for Chris Coons. I thought Chris' point about reconciliation of Christine's comments was right on...she speaks in vague language with little substance and it seemed swirl- it didn't connect. Christine was on the attack and in my opinion Chris Coons demonstrated far more professionalism than his opponent. He obviously knows the issues in-depth while Christine speaks in general (vague) terms. On education she kept saying she wanted to give the money back to the teachers to spend in the classroom...but how would she accomplish that? When did we fight the Russians in Afganistan? Where did come up with that?I hope Chris Coons wins...because we cannot allow unqualified candidates go to Washington...especially in times as challenging as today. Even my 14 year old daughter comment how rude Christine's mannerisms were while Chris Coons was speaking...it is obvious who should win.

October 13, 2010 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |