October 13th, 2010

White House Dispatch: Mom-in-chief draws on her motherly instincts to craft her campaign message'

(CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama may not be a seasoned campaigner, but she is a veteran mom. And that, she says, has given her a wealth of experience for the campaign trail.

"You see, more than anything, I come to this as a mom," she told an audience at a rally for Sen. Russ Feingold in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Feingold is in a tough re-election battle for his fourth term in the US Senate.

Mrs. Obama is currently scheduled to campaign in 7 states between now and November 2nd. Two advisors close to the first lady say it is likely she will add more stops before the end of the month. Specifics about the additional stops are still being worked out and will depend on which candidates need her the most.

The first lady, who referred to herself as a self described mom-in-chief, said the challenges American families face have helped to shape her thinking. "I think about what it means for my girls, and I think about what it means for the world we're leaving for them and for all our children." she said.

Obama says there are real lessons to be learned from the children of the unemployed mother struggling to pay bills, or the father deployed to a war zone. Or even from the child attending classes every day in a crumbling school.

And while the comforts of the White House are far removed from the real hardships of everyday life, Mrs. Obama said her "first priority has been making sure that my girls are happy and healthy."

"That's how I see the world. And I think that's how most folks see the world," she said.

Filed under: 2010 • Michelle Obama • Russ Feingold
  1. Bill

Micehelle is a smart lady; she'll do well campaigning for fellow Democrats.

October 13, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. Ruissell NC

Michelle said that for the first time in her adult life that she is proud of her country.

October 13, 2010 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  3. Claudia, Houston, Tx

FLOTUS, you are a great Mom like many American mothers and we thank you. It takes Moms, especially, to lead their daughters in the right directions of education and self respect. Thank you.

October 13, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  4. Jennifer

Ms. "This is the first time I've been proud of my country" Obama is going to jet-set around the US, spending taxpayer money to get Democrats elected? Astounding. She's usually so frugal with money that isn't her own.

Oh, wait...

October 13, 2010 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  5. Irma in North Carolina

Just waiting for the republicans to come out and bash and put the first lady down just because she is black. To top the list on coming first will be palin and her bed partners like Beck, rush and the entire fox gang. The higher power in the future to put this to rest.

October 13, 2010 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  6. TOTAL FACT

Yeah mommy dearest let's see your thong again. You certainly do draw off you motherly instincts. WHAT A DISGRACE TO THE FIRST LADIES THAT CAME BEFORE YOU. AT LEAST WHETHER YOU AGREED WITH THEIR HUSBANDS OR NOT THEY WERE NOT A DISGRACE TO AMERICA. THERE YOU WERE WITH YOU HUGE BEHIND IN YOUR BLACK THONGS. GOSHi had to puke.

October 13, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  7. Willy Brown

She don't know squat about squat

October 13, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. stufit

It sure would be nice if we could leave spouse off the hate posts. Liberals really trashed Laura Bush. I think we conservatives should show how much better we are by not mentioning Michelles extravagent, taxpayer paid vacations, her "nanny state" telling us what we should eat and her expressed hatred of America during this type of session.

October 13, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. mj

Oh, Pleaaaasssse! She lost my respect with her outlandish vacation to Spain. People are hurting, can't find jobs, no way to pay their mortgage and she takes an entourage to a 5-Star Resort. Not only was this morally wrong, but an insult to her own Country. The money blown could have been spent in the Good Old USA, where businesses are in dire need of sales. Not the lesson I would teach or preach to my own children.

October 13, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. Tracy

I absolutely love this lady. I am so glad you are being true to yourself first. Thank youfor not wearing all of those old lady suits with jackets and skirts and gloves.. Good grief. Love you in the football pics. You totally rock. You and president Obama are a God sent. I pray for your safety all throughou the day, and I will continue to.

October 13, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  11. T'SAH from Virginia

Michelle – that's how EVERYONE should see the world. But there are so many shades blocking some views, it's difficult!!! I am sure she also talked about health care reform, obesity, financial reform and other accomplishments under President Obama, but it is not mentioned here!!!

Michelle – U GO GIRL!!!

This is T'SAH from Virginia and I approve this message!!!

October 13, 2010 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. Name

I am an Obama supporter.
    I watched condaleza rice on CNN last night and she spoke of a racist america she grew up in.
    And I can see the same racism against president Obama.
    I have never seen or heard of the ridiculous obstruction that the republicans have launched against our commander In chief.
    They want to block and hamper progress all because good change is coming from a black man.
    Let me say this.
    Racist republicans and tea party Klan, on November 2, you will all loose.
    We are not and will not be your 21st century slaves.
    You are a sick racist parasite who doesn't not want to see blacks, the middle class or people of color have a pleasant life that you control and manipulate.
    You are the ugly that exists in america and you have no power.

October 13, 2010 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. Willie12345

Will she be able to fix this ? ....................

1977: Jimmy Carter (D) signs the Community Reinvestment Act, guaranteeing home loans to low-income families

1999: Bill Clinton (D) puts the Community Reinvestment Act on steroids, pushing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to increase the number of sub-prime loans.

2003: The White House calls Fannie and Freddie “a systemic risk.” The Bush administration pushes Congress to enact new regulations.

2003: Barney Frank (D-MA) says Fannie & Freddie are “not in a crisis.” He bashes Republicans for crying wolf and calls F&F “financially sound.” Democrats block the Republican-sponsored regulation legislation.

2005: Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan voices a warning over F&F accounting. “We are placing the total financial system of the future at a substantial risk."

2005: Sen. Charles Schumer, (D-NY) says “…I think Fannie and Freddie over the years have done an incredibly good job and are an intrinsic part of making America the best-housed people in the world …if you look over the last 20 or whatever years, they’ve done a very, very good job.”

2006: Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) again calls for reform. “For years I have been concerned about the regulatory structure that governs Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac … and the sheer magnitude of these companies and the role they play in the marketplace … the GSE’s (Government Sponsored Enterprises) need to be reformed without delay.”

2006: Democrats again block reform legislation.

2008: housing market collapses

I don't think she can, do you ???

October 13, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  14. seebofubar

If you're a "mom" then stay home and take care of your kids you anti-american communist. I can't wait untill we have seen the last of you and your worthless husband so we can get back to being a great country again.

October 13, 2010 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  15. S. in California

You said it First Lady! You have achieved so much in such a short time. Not only are you a good role model for young girls to emulate but you seem to REALLY enjoy what you do. It is such a relief Cindy (I slept with someone's husband) is not out there. I cringe to think she would be speaking and influencing young girls (such as my niece) that it is okay to be a whore and subsequently go on to become First Lady. Thank you America for preventing that.

Thank you Mrs. Obama. Some of us REALLY appreciate ALL you have done to help get this country back on track.

October 13, 2010 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  16. gandoman

PLANET EARTH TO Mrs.OBAMA,,,,,HELP!!!!!

Please bring the following to the President's attention .....

If our planet has a soul, you are responsible for continuing to wound & injure that soul. If the planet's soul should die, we all will die.
    Do you not understand that human beings are simply CARETAKERS for this world & that we are not supposed to maim & kill other species who inhabit this planet under any circumstances much less for POWER & GREED.
    SalaCZAR is the devil disguised as a liberal Democrat. He would have fit right in with George '3 below plant life' Bush & his BIG OIL cronies.
    How is it possible that someone like yourself, whom actually appears to 'give a shit' can condone the destruction of what little is good about this life we are born into.
    Have you no moral fiber left after only 2+ years into your Presidency?
    You, Mr. Obama have greatly misjudged the political climate & I may be only one example, however, I am the one example representing millions of American voters.
    I will NEVER vote republican, but as of this juncture, I will NOT vote period.
    Take your LIFTING of the MORATORIUM & shove it up Ken SalaCZAR's ass. I have no doubt there is enough oil up there to power the state of California.

October 13, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  17. Mar

I love our first lady...she is an inspiration to all women.

October 13, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. Jennifer

Best first lady ever!

October 13, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. Anonymous

She should just tell folks the truth, things are always better for the American people under Democrats, that is after the Democrats finish cleaning up the messes the republicans make. this mess isn't cleaned up yet, which is why folks are so unhappy. but they're mad at the wrong people. maybe Michelle can straighten out an awful lot of stinkin' thinkin' going on now. blame the mess-makers, not the clean-up crew!

October 13, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  20. the real ib

this country is going to pot and all the Obama's can think about is campaigning; Oh well that's all they are good for except to spend this country into a non country.

October 13, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  21. LacrosseMom(real one)

*********** Please Post my comment CNN, I must respond to the vile attack on Mrs. Obama from "Total Fact"******************

@ "Total Fact"..... YOU are despicable, totally VILE! Have you NO sense of decency?! YOU are the reason, I am NO longer a Republican. YOUR comment is exactly why SO many Independents like me, wont ever vote Republican!

You owe ALL Americans an apology for YOUR VILE, disgusting comment about our Nation's First Lady!

CAN'T BELIEVE CNN POSTED "TOTAL FACT'S" COMMENT!

October 13, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |