October 15th, 2010

GOP ad man explains controversial spots

(CNN) – The now infamous "I'm You" ad by Republican Delaware Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell and the "Demon Sheep" ad by Republican California Senate candidate Carly Fiorina have one big thing in common - they were conceived by Republican ad man Fred Davis.

In an interview with CNN Chief National Correspondent John King on John King, USA, Davis explained what went into creating those ads, and why he thought it would be a good idea for Christine O'Donnell to say, "I'm not a witch."

"She was the butt of every joke, every late night comedian, " Davis said of O'Donnell. "And so with that in place, she's down 20 points in the polls, roughly, at that time. I don't see that you have a choice; you have to address it. Why ignore it completely?"

But, David said, O'Donnell was not immediately on board with the idea of discussing the witchcraft comments.

Filed under: 2010 • John King USA
  1. Voter

Time for the GOP to fire Fred Davis. O'Donnell & Fiorina's ads were not only bad, but both of these candidates are losing in the polls (thank God).

October 15, 2010 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  2. George of the jungle

Im sick of all these lying repo wing nuts. Palin should shut up about the first lady. O Donnell should just shut up period. You may not like joe biden but he is honest and trustworthy . a good father, husband and christian. Thats why the repos attack him all the time. He has all the morals they don't. And most of them are not smart enough to understand the president. Vote all repos out in November. Go fowar not back wards.

October 15, 2010 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  3. bbrooker

"She said I'm so sick of the witch thing I'd like to put it behind me, and I said this is the way to put it behind you," Davis said. ... Except now it's the only thing she'll be remembered by. Republicans, can they dream up worse strategies?

October 15, 2010 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  4. barry

I am so happy Christine O'Donnell came on the scene. She will be as big a thorn in the Dems side as Palin. The great thing is the Media will keep baiting the liberal lunatics by continuing to listen to her and give her air time. I love our democracy.

October 15, 2010 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  5. Peter Zheutlin

If she had said, "I am not an idiot," it wouldn't have been any more persuasive.

October 15, 2010 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  6. Julie C in CA

Face it, she deserves to lose simply because she's so clueless and in no way qualified for this role. It's a sad statement that she's actually running in the first place.

October 15, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  7. Jim

She may want to put it behind her, but it's not going to go away. This woman is a hypocrite of the first order. Dumb as a skunk, unequiped to run a quick mart, much less be a Senator.

October 15, 2010 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  8. normajean

As a former advertising copy writer, I seldom criticize the work of other writers, but I found that of Fred Davis to be not only odd, but puzzling..These ads gave no real feeling of this young womans abilities or knowledge for an extremely important position , instead giving only the vapidity of her personality.An ongoing mistake

October 16, 2010 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  9. D

This guy should make ads for all the republicans. What an idiot. She wants to drop the witch thing, so she makes a commercial about it. Excellent strategy, run a commercial everyday that bring the topic up.

October 16, 2010 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  10. chad

Bad bad bad baaad ideas!

October 16, 2010 05:11 am at 5:11 am |
  11. southern cousin

I don't think the "I am not a witch" ads will do any good. Once the liberal media decides to go after you, you don't have a chance because liberals are not real smart. 87% of them still believe that Palin made that "I can see Russia from my house" remark. Liberals just believe what the union bosses tell them, they cannot think for themselves. That is how you end up with an incompetent, inept, corrupt, lying president like we have now.

October 16, 2010 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  12. youngblood61

Davis was wrong it O'Donnell coming out in her add saying I'm not a witch did not put an end to it. Get your check back from Fred Davis Christine!

October 16, 2010 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  13. meemawfromthesouth

Really, Christine? Really? So, how is that witch thingie working out for you?

October 16, 2010 07:26 am at 7:26 am |