October 15th, 2010

Palin takes jab at first lady

(CNN) – Former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin seemed to have the 2008 election – and, specifically, first lady Michelle Obama – on her mind during a speech at a conservative forum Thursday night.

"You know, when I hear people say, or had said during the campaign that they've never been proud of America, haven't they met anybody in uniform yet?" Palin opined during her remarks at a Liberty and Freedom Foundation forum in San Jose, California.

"I get tears in my eyes when I see that young man, that young woman, walking through the airport in uniform – you too – so proud to be American," Palin said to enthusiastic applause.

During her husband's presidential campaign, Michelle Obama sparked outrage among conservatives when she said at a campaign stop that, "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback… not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

After a media firestorm ensued, Obama sought to clarify her comments, saying, "What I was clearly talking about is that I am proud in how Americans are engaging in the political process. I mean everyone has said what I said, in that we haven't seen these record numbers of turnouts, people who are paying attention, going to rallies, watching debates."

"For the first time in my lifetime I am seeing people rolling up their sleeves in way that I haven't seen and really trying to figure this out, and that's the source of pride I was talking about," she continued.

The remarks nonetheless became a linchpin for conservative pundits, who accused Obama of being unpatriotic.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. independent Jim

The very thing that Palin is always accusing others of doing, she's doing. Twisting statements to elicit support of oneself. Not surprising but pathetic as usual. For the life of me I can't figure out why anybody takes her seriously, but apparently they do. CNN covers her constantly.

October 15, 2010 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  2. Von Bismark-Vienna

This woman is pathetic. In the name of God-go!

October 15, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  3. katiec

Palin is not even deservant of being in the same room as our First Lady. And, for her to criticize her would be laughable if not so absolutely ridiculous.
    Palin is one of those that if you bought her for what she is worth and sold her for what she thinks she is worth you would never have to work another day in your life. She is an egotistical, self serving headline grabber, which CNN totally supports, and has made a sham of our political system. Anyone of any intelligence does not give credit to anything coming out of her distorted mouth.

October 15, 2010 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  4. djf

Sarah Palin thinks she is still campaigning for vice-president. She won't let up on the same talking points she used then. Guess what Sarah? You lost. Get over it and get lost.

October 15, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  5. CaliforniaBC

I didn't see anything wrong with those comments by Michele. It seems like a HUGE stretch by the Right to make an issue of this.

October 15, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  6. Michael in Houston

you Palin are so utterly disgusting, repulsive, and classless that I dare say you may well be the most dispicable creep I have ever witnessed.
    Attacking the First Lady? Attempting to spin yourself into the news that she is becoming very popular, polling well, and liked?
    You look so small right now that its pathetic. And by the way.....your neck has wrinkles, your cheeks are plump, and you look like my mother did in the 70s.

October 15, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  7. foxsmartchicago

i'm sorry...only an idiot would try to spin what michelle obama said as 'not ever being proud of america'...maybe the syntax was not correct, but a smart person knew what she was saying. i think this is pretty funny since sarah has a difficult time ever being articulate. i'll match michelle's smarts against sarah's any day...and not question either of their patrotism.

October 15, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  8. La Piovra

What a patriot Palin is! She wants to beautify our flag by taking Alaska's star off it, and then the only color she wants on HER flag is white.

October 15, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  9. Rani McBride

This woman is a Joke! The First Lady has done more for the families of American Troops than Sarah Palin could ever think about! All Sarah Palin is worried about is scoring political points and making millions on FOX news. Too bad she doesn't have the compassion or the class to a first lady or a leader in this country. Hell, she can't even be a govenor!

October 15, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |