October 15th, 2010

Palin takes jab at first lady

(CNN) - Former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin seemed to have the 2008 election – and, specifically, first lady Michelle Obama – on her mind during a speech at a conservative forum Thursday night.

"You know, when I hear people say, or had said during the campaign that they've never been proud of America, haven't they met anybody in uniform yet?" Palin opined during her remarks at a Liberty and Freedom Foundation forum in San Jose, California.

"I get tears in my eyes when I see that young man, that young woman, walking through the airport in uniform – you too – so proud to be American," Palin said to enthusiastic applause.

During her husband's presidential campaign, Michelle Obama sparked outrage among conservatives when she said at a campaign stop that, "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback… not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

After a media firestorm ensued, Obama sought to clarify her comments, saying, "What I was clearly talking about is that I am proud in how Americans are engaging in the political process. I mean everyone has said what I said, in that we haven't seen these record numbers of turnouts, people who are paying attention, going to rallies, watching debates."

"For the first time in my lifetime I am seeing people rolling up their sleeves in way that I haven't seen and really trying to figure this out, and that's the source of pride I was talking about," she continued.

The remarks nonetheless became a linchpin for conservative pundits, who accused Obama of being unpatriotic.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. Voter

Tacky, childish, phoney unpatriotic women who didn't even love her state or country enough to finish her term. Give me a break, she's a loser.

October 15, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  2. Independent In Albany

Sarah Palin knows NOTHING about patriotism or conservatism for that matter.

October 15, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  3. Fair is Fair

It's about time someone called her on the carpet for that remark. Well done, Sarah!

October 15, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  4. Elliott

I've noticed that Sarah Palin ever allows a thought to interrupt the flow of her conversation. Sarah honey, please save your breath, you'll need it to blow up your date later....

October 15, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  5. IHTCF

Do you get the same tears when it's a Muslim-AMERICAN wearing that same uniform?!?!?! YOU are reason enough to NOT be proud of this country.
    Sick of this woman. Sick of all of them.

October 15, 2010 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  6. Independent One

Sarah Palin is the antichrist

October 15, 2010 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  7. Jesus Francisco

Palin is such a racist. Michelle Obama has more of the American Spirit in her than Palin will ever have. Palin is such a hater!!!!!

October 15, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  8. jeff, alabama

I have always been a Sarah Palin fan.
    I'll vote for her if she runs for President.
    I share alot of her views. She is NOT a
    racist as some say. And also she's
    hot as a fire cracker.
    But..........She should not go after a member
    of an opponent's family. The crack about
    The First Lady was uncalled for and
    accomplished nothing positive for Sarah
    Palin. I hope she doesn't do this sgain.
    Palin........2012 !!!

October 15, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  9. VB Lincoln Park NJ

What the Wasilla Wackjob has to say on ANY subject is unimportant, as she has often proven that she doesn't have the qualifications to run for dog catcher, let alone a national office.

October 15, 2010 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  10. Ken in NC

During their run for the President and Vice President, I was convienced that Senator McCain was not a good choice for the office and I was also of the opinion that Sarah Palin was an IDIOT. Since the elections are over, I am now convienced that Senator McCain couldn't lead a blind man in the desert without bumping into a big oak tree and Sarah was not an IDIOT. She IS an IDIOT. She is a mean spirited, hateful, vengeful woman.

October 15, 2010 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  11. Indy

This coming from the biggest liar in America, she must make Satan very proud.

October 15, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  12. fielding mellish

This woman only knows negative negative negative. She has no regard for facts and is a disgrace to the country as a whole. Put her back in the snow and let her take on real mama grizzlies.

October 15, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  13. Dave Harris

This from somebody who belonged to an Alaskan separatist party until a couple of years ago, who doesn't want to pay any taxes unless her party is in charge, who defames the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces she claims to worship with false and ridiculous claims. Some patriot.

October 15, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  14. Dave, Central Illinois

AH, yes, CNN's sexual obsession with Sarah Palin continues. I think I understand: you poor frustrated editors and so-called journalist have nothing but fat and hairy liberal NOW types to carous with and thus Palin is a target of your frustration. So, frustrated CNN Censor, are you too frustrated and cowardly to allow my post through????? Ha Ha, typical....

October 15, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  15. grapevine

Still hasn't gotten over the election, or is she just upset that Angle, ODonnell, and Whitman are getting all the media attention? Low, Sarah, even for you. Hell, Sarah, I cry too. Each and every utterance from you sends tears of angony down my face. ( Also. Too.) Keep it classy, Sarah, honey. Using the troops for your amusement sends such a wonderful message, don't ya think? Especially in war time.

October 15, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  16. Ada

Palin is an Idiot!!!

October 15, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  17. Nancy5545

As always Palin doesn't look at the statement within context. But then you would have to have more than 2 brain cells to understand. What a fool just like the lemming tea partier's that follow her lead.

October 15, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  18. Obamanomics

She is so full of it.
    She is quitter and now she is milking the cow dry.

October 15, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  19. Claudia, Houston, Tx

First Lady Michelle Obama was just name as the Worlds Most Famous Woman and for Palin to take "jabs" at her does not look good in the face of the World. Palin, take your petty jealously out of politics and focus on your raising your family as FLOTUS is raising her children because that's one of the many jobs you have failed doing.

October 15, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  20. andrew

This still doesnt compare to being married to a man who has involved himself in actively trying to break their state away fromt he US. Haven't they ever met someone from America?

October 15, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  21. Lori in St Pete

What a hate filled sack of crap this woman is! Never before in the history of our great nation has the losing VP candidate been so unable to get over the fact that they lost, that they still bash the winners two years later! It just shows how clueless and classless this witch is. Honestly CNN, three stories about this divisive woman in one day!!!??? Really???!!!

And for the supporters of this dim bulb who will whine and cry that the dems are hateful and mean to women, I say: Where the hell were YOU when that fat, closeted, drug addicted pedophile gasbag on the radio used to refer to Chelsea Clinton as the White House dog? She was a little girl for heaven's sake! Not to mention the hateful things he has said about Hillary, Nancy Pelosi and every other Dem woman. Hipocrites one and all!

October 15, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  22. Video Guy

When are we going to be done with this half-baked Alaskan. She is class less and is the last one to question anything the First Lady has said.

October 15, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  23. Dianne Ressmann

So MO's pride is dependent on others' actions? Others' actions evoke pride in MO. She should be able to show intrinsic pride. She doesn't have it.

October 15, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  24. iean

I will be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad when the ignorants get out of power and quit making a mockery of Christianity and our whole Country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 15, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  25. Whatever

Ask any Black American regardless of party how they felt and they all felt a sense of pride when President Obama was elected. We, White America will never understand what it must feel like to always be treated like 2nd class.

October 15, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |