October 15th, 2010

Palin takes jab at first lady

(CNN) - Former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin seemed to have the 2008 election – and, specifically, first lady Michelle Obama – on her mind during a speech at a conservative forum Thursday night.

"You know, when I hear people say, or had said during the campaign that they've never been proud of America, haven't they met anybody in uniform yet?" Palin opined during her remarks at a Liberty and Freedom Foundation forum in San Jose, California.

"I get tears in my eyes when I see that young man, that young woman, walking through the airport in uniform – you too – so proud to be American," Palin said to enthusiastic applause.

During her husband's presidential campaign, Michelle Obama sparked outrage among conservatives when she said at a campaign stop that, "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback… not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

After a media firestorm ensued, Obama sought to clarify her comments, saying, "What I was clearly talking about is that I am proud in how Americans are engaging in the political process. I mean everyone has said what I said, in that we haven't seen these record numbers of turnouts, people who are paying attention, going to rallies, watching debates."

"For the first time in my lifetime I am seeing people rolling up their sleeves in way that I haven't seen and really trying to figure this out, and that's the source of pride I was talking about," she continued.

The remarks nonetheless became a linchpin for conservative pundits, who accused Obama of being unpatriotic.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. Kathy B from Michigan

I have a great idea. Let's all take a vote on it and everyone get over him/her self. I'm no fan of the Obamas, but could we let this one go already?

October 15, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. suz

well,,, Not everyone's son was forced into the military rather than face prison for severing brakes on a school bus.

October 15, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  3. TangledThorns

Sarah Palin is a patriot. Michelle Obama hates America and thinks it's the source of the world's woes. No surprise here.

October 15, 2010 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. ex-sarge

Well, I'd expect Palin to get this sh*t wrong, but I keep hoping for better from CNN. Having watched Mrs. Obama make that comment, and then seeing all the clever editing Fox did, I can tell you (and I would swear on a stack of Bilbles) that what she said was, ..."I have never been more proud of my country than I am right now.." Get it? To be "more proud" one must already be proud. Why are you giving this she-beast any time??? My nine year old has a better grasp of American politics than this quitting mercenary and her overinflated ego.

October 15, 2010 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  5. Ferrett out the BS

You're so disengenous, it is trully amazing how many buy into your garbage.

October 15, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. Jan Hetterly

Sarah needs to pull in her cat claws. She may not be a witch, but a word that rhymes comes to mind here.

October 15, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  7. Moosehead

Who cares what Palin thinks or says,.. she's irrelevant. I'm more worried about her husband's lack of loyalty and love for America,... didn't he belong to a separatist movement?

October 15, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  8. Jacob

Sarah Palin is tasteless. She really brings this country to new lows.

October 15, 2010 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  9. Robin Hood come to America.

The loser should shut their mouth and go away.

October 15, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  10. scott

Please...For the love of everything good and decent in this world...Please stop reporting every stupid, half-baked, intolerant, thing this media whore does or says. Please. I get that she a walking, talking circus, but honestly, every time you report about her, I can feel the collective intelligence of our country lowering.

October 15, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. anthony

PALIN has also never been BLACK in AMERICA. SO before all of you talk about pride and America, first take a look at just how recent in our history things such as segregation still existed. Not that long ago. And being a woman in America isnt that easy either. So before ANY of you (PALIN) try and question ones pride in a country like ours, I'd be best to walk a mile in the shoes of the person who's opinion you've ask. No, this country's history is something you CAN NOT take total pride in... This country was built on the backs of slavery, blacks who were two thirds of a vote, , this country treated the Japanese community poorly during WW2, this nation has created a fear and hatred toward muslims and mexicans, from east coast to west coast.
    Come on people.. the reality isnt a pretty one, but to live in denial while you wave your flag while leaning on your white picket fence as your apple pie is cooling, and your 2.5 children play in the yard just doesnt cut it. Conservative reality, yes. American melting pot reality? No. And lets be honest, NO ONE was proud of how GW Bush ran the country. He financially wrecked us, wrecked our global standings, and helped dumb down and divide the nation.

Palin can get tears in her eyes all she wants, but her dramatics mean nothing to people with half a brain.

October 15, 2010 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. Me

Okay...now I truly hate Sarah Palin. At first I just considered her a nuisance of politics. A clown, a prop a bad joke that too many people took seriously. Now I just hate her

October 15, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  13. GL

This woman will never the our Presidient. She can not win with out black voters and we all hate her. And going after the first lady just goes to show every American just how nasty Sara Palin have become. Get over it Sara Palin you lose.

October 15, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  14. jerseylou

Palin,palin your racism is showing.You are a real scumbag , hopefully the 1st Lady won't dignify you with a response. Anybody that thinks this IMBECILE,LUNATIC an MANIAC belongs near the WHITE HOUSE ,they too have flew over the coo coo nest !

October 15, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  15. Randolph Carter, I'm no expert, but...

That's right, Sarah, all you have to do is mention our troops, Jesus or guns, and the ignorant "real American" hicks just lap it up. You Betcha! Have a nice day!

October 15, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  16. Jerry D

The only time Palin sees someone in uniform at the airport is when security is whisking her to her private jet. That woman has lied her way to her position with her party, but anyone who has a thinking mind knows how Palin is nothing more than a corporate puppet making tons of money off of stupid people.

October 15, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  17. Charlie from the North

Really Sarah, really? Let me know how that works fer ya.

October 15, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  18. Why are Rush and his Mafia in hiding all the time?

Shes proud until she sees the check for sending them and taking care of them when they get back,then she just says NO,we shouldnt pay for their care.Shes the greatest fraud and outright liar to come down the pike.

October 15, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  19. WILLIE WILLIAMS

There is a plethora of information floating around about Sarah Palin, and no one will discuss it. The First Lady education is top notch, and she could debate Sarah Palin in her sleep. Why do we think this quiter is worth the news? I know, because the Rethugs are using her, and when 2012 arrives, they will destroy her. There is no way this woman is Presidential material. All she cares about is making money off the ignorant people out there. Her money is coming from the Rich men, who wants to destroy American values, and we can thank the Supreme Court for that. Our group has 300 people going to the polls on Nov 2nd, and will bring more. All the money in the world can't stop us from voting. Why is no one talking about the early record voting in Ohio. That's right, the Democrats are out in force. Keep talking about no momentum for our party. Sarah only wants the money, and if she runs, she will have to talk to the media. If not, she will get destroyed during the election. Talking is a two way street. Is she going to debate herself? This woman is a joke!! CNN you are now liltle Fox News. I am appalled with your coverage. Tell John King, Crowley, and Dana, we know they are Republicans. What happen to fact check? Just let your people tell lies, and no one checks them. I guess it willl back in 2012, when Obama win his 2nd term. Your news team is very weak.

October 15, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  20. GL

Jealous do not get you no where. You a just mad that the first lady is have higher approval rated they you. At lest the first lady family is not all mess up. Go away Sara Palin you are the worst kind of person and I can stand to even look or hear you name. Just becasue CNN love you, don't mean we do.

October 15, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  21. Anne

How DARE Sarah Palin take a cheap shot at Mrs. Obama. I urge her to do a little research–perhaps read a newspaper or magazine- into how much Mrs. Obama has taken military familes under her wing.

October 15, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  22. GL

How low can you go Sara Palin? You and your tea baggers are hate the black race anyway so we don't care what you say out of you nasty mouth.

October 15, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  23. debra from georgia

You leave Michelle Obama alone, you are a idiott, how dare you. Go back to your front porch, and see if you can see Russian.

October 15, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  24. GL

Sara Palin we all know by now just how much you hate the Obama's' and I hate CNN for continually reporting every thing this hateful racist nasty POOR WHITE TRASH have to say.

October 15, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. GL

Attacking the first lady is way below the belt. Sara Palin will pay big time for her nast remark against the first laldy.

October 15, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |