October 15th, 2010

Palin takes jab at first lady

(CNN) - Former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin seemed to have the 2008 election – and, specifically, first lady Michelle Obama – on her mind during a speech at a conservative forum Thursday night.

"You know, when I hear people say, or had said during the campaign that they've never been proud of America, haven't they met anybody in uniform yet?" Palin opined during her remarks at a Liberty and Freedom Foundation forum in San Jose, California.

"I get tears in my eyes when I see that young man, that young woman, walking through the airport in uniform – you too – so proud to be American," Palin said to enthusiastic applause.

During her husband's presidential campaign, Michelle Obama sparked outrage among conservatives when she said at a campaign stop that, "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback… not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

After a media firestorm ensued, Obama sought to clarify her comments, saying, "What I was clearly talking about is that I am proud in how Americans are engaging in the political process. I mean everyone has said what I said, in that we haven't seen these record numbers of turnouts, people who are paying attention, going to rallies, watching debates."

"For the first time in my lifetime I am seeing people rolling up their sleeves in way that I haven't seen and really trying to figure this out, and that's the source of pride I was talking about," she continued.

The remarks nonetheless became a linchpin for conservative pundits, who accused Obama of being unpatriotic.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. Lando

I wonder how much she money made from her stupid audience...blind followers. She must be laughing as she count the wads
    of $100 bills and saying to herself..." Fools", "Easy money" ha-ha-ha-ha

October 15, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  2. sherry

It doesnt surprise me that Sarah would stoop so low....Palin is pathetic and I for one would love to see her sail off in the sunset . Sarah takes things out of context and spins them to her advantage. Go away , you are like a wart on a witches nose......

October 15, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. p.h

palin is no match for michelle she gets paid good money to say crazy things. but what have she giving back to the troops after making millions the answer is zero. talk is cheap

October 15, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  4. John J. Mesh

Sarah Palin is just a nasty person - do we want someone this nasty running for president?

October 15, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  5. ronalde

sista sara is an idiot.

October 15, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  6. Liberal4Obama

Who cares about what Sarah Palin thinks, a quitter as a politician and a failure as a mother should be TAKING advice not GIVING it.

October 15, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  7. Gale

You Democrats, get a grip. All she saying is what most of the US was saying at the time. Just because you all idolize her doesn't mean she is infalable. Look at the things you all post about Sarah Palin. Don't throw stones if you live in glass houses.

October 15, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  8. freda

Enough of Christine McDonnell, Sr. already. Sara Palin does not qualify to even speak First Lady Obama's name. I guess she feels she's justified because of the many people she's pimping money off of. I suppose if I were her, I would make any stupid statement in order to get their money and go straight to the bank laughing at them. I bet she's laughing at John McCain also. She's a disgusting human being and cares for no one but Sarah Palin. If she paid more attention to her children and the baby which she used during her campaign, she would be in Alaska and not running all over the world to be seen and heard with that annoying voice of her. I hate to look at her and I hate to hear her talk. i actually get sick to the stomach just thinking about her. She should never utter Mrs. Obama's name because it makes her sicker than she already is. It amazes me that CNN gives her so much attention. Enough Already!

October 15, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. p.h

this is why she won't win in 2012 because she have nothing to offer but her normal talking points. soon people r going to get tired of the same dumb stuff. what r your plans for the country and watch her go blank

October 15, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  10. Al

Michelle Obama is a class act, and she is clearly proud to be an American. Plus, she is highly intelligent.

Palin, meanwhile, is a classless con-artist with no grace and no manners and a room-temperature IQ. I won't be surprised if she's ever arrested for defecating in public because she "forgot."

October 15, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  11. anagram_kid

Leave it to Palin to mischaracterize a remark. If the situation was flipped Palin would already have posts on FB about this. I cannot recall any politician (spare me the nonsense about her being a private citizen) spending so much energy criticizing others. This bitterness is very unbecoming.

October 15, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  12. mickeymat

The way this article was written explains a good deal why CNN is in last place among it competition. Michelle Obama did not in fact enrage just conservatives when she said she was not proud of her country. She enraged most proud Americans. But CNN apparently thinks it is OK to deride your country and be not only disrespectful but incredibly ungrateful for all the blessings we share by being Americans. Most of us are not unappreciative of these gifts but people like Obama who benefited from grants and special allowances due to her race is not grateful and that's why many of us do not like her. She is a nasty woman and CNN is looked upon negatively for not taking her to task for saying such inappropriate things. She and her husband behave like low class jerks.

October 15, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  13. jay in denver

Well, golly gee there, Sarah, as long as we're taking the gloves off regarding First Ladies, can I say how "prode" I am that Michelle Obama has never killed anyone with her car?

October 15, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  14. kayla

you could learn about class from the first lady, you moran.

October 15, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  15. mike

Here we go again this idiot doesn't come close to Michelle in education alone thats not to include on how much class Michelle
    has over Palin you see Michelle is a women that I would be glade to open a door for Palin on the other hand is someone that
    I would slam the door in her face when she talks about Michelle this stupid,idiot is way out of her league

October 15, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  16. sonny chapman

What a sweet & classy lady. She gives Goldiggers a bad name–Also, teaching her daughter by example how to put "Country First".

October 15, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  17. shell

and this is why palin will never be POTUS

October 15, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  18. Joan

The differences between Sarah Palin and Michelle Obama are overwhelming. Michelle Obama is a very intelligent, intellectually gifted lady who had a very succesful, high powered career. Sarah Palin is charming also but is a lightweight when it comes to important, international matters and was mayor of a small city and served half a term as a governor. Not much to compare there. Michelle Obama has more class in her little finger than Sarah Palin has in her whole body.

October 15, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  19. Daniel

Every time Sarah Palin opens her mouth, I feel less proud of America. And, if she wants to revisit the past, what about that separatist political party she and Todd were associated with years ago? Did they want to separate Alaska from America because they were proud of America? Only a fool would take Sarah Palin seriously.

October 15, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  20. Steve

This is such a typical straw-man argument from the right. There are clearly two meanings of the word "really." One way can mean "genuinely" and another can mean "to a greater degree". Anyone who thinks Michelle Obama was saying that she was not actually proud of America before the 2008 election is either being dishonest or obtuse. (And in Palin's case, she might be both.)

October 15, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. Larry

Palin is much like a piece of dreck. The stech of what she stands for is awful. "The White Annoying Teabaggers" and ignorant republicans are the only ones who think she doesn't stink.

October 15, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  22. Augsbee

Well, I can understand Mrs. Obama not being proud of her country in her adult life because as a Black adult woman she came to understand that things in Black neighborhoods are very different than white neighborhoods, education is different for Blacks, job opportunities are different for Blacks, even politics are different for blacks and she probably figured that putting a Black man ( Obama is actually Mulatto ) in the White House would change everything for Blacks and it would improve Blacks.

October 15, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  23. Laverne

This is the same woman who want people to lay off her family. Sarah Palin is such a sleezy person and she is attacking Michelle Obama because she is out campaigning. Michelle is more of a woman than Sarah is even on her worst day. By the way, Michelle's quote was "For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country" There is a difference here, growing up on the Southside of Chicago, Sarah Palin does not know what her experiences were when it comes to patriotism and racism. There are a lot of black people who have shed blood and died for this country too only to come home and be disrespected and treated like a second class citizen much like it is NOW. When you have spent the majority of your life seeing the world through the eyes of a black American and the level of disregard and disrespect that many black people have gotten, I can totally understand why she would have doubts about being proud of a nation under these circumstances. Sarah Palin is not happy unless she is stirring up controversy and causing division. She is definitely a witch in disguise and it is people like her that keep this country divided! All she is trying to do is say hey white people here this black lady goes again, you better get angry so we can distract people from what really matters.

October 15, 2010 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  24. geecee

Still harping on that one, Sarah? Get over it you dimwit! So sick and tired of you drudging up this old crap. No wonder we made a big deal out of a 5-year-old story about that Dick, Cheney never apologizing to the guy he shot in the face. And you wonder why we bring up things from so long ago!!! Ewwww, like only Dems. do it. You're still saying the President "palled around with terrorists", riight? This woman is an idiot!!

October 15, 2010 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  25. Yanni

What a legacy for John McCain???

October 15, 2010 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |