October 17th, 2010

Meghan McCain sounds off on O'Donnell

(Updated 4:40 p.m. ET with O'Donnell campaign response)

(CNN) – Meghan McCain is known for speaking her mind, and her views on Delaware Republican Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell proved no exception Sunday.

The daughter of Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain said O'Donnell's candidacy sends a message to the younger generation that you can just "wake up and run for Senate," regardless of past experience.

O'Donnell, an unsuccessful Senate candidate in 2006 and 2008, has received national attention this time for her Tea Party backed victory in the Republican primary over nine-time U.S. Rep. Mike Castle, a former governor.

In recent weeks, decade-old video footage surfaced showing O'Donnell challenging the theory of evolution and talking about having "dabbled in witchcraft."

"Christine O'Donnell is making a mockery of running for public office," McCain said. "She has no real history, no real success in any kind of business."

The program included some comments from O'Donnell from an interview broadcast last week, prior to McCain's criticism Sunday.

O'Donnell's campaign later responded to McCain.

"Christine overwhelmingly won her primary battle against the establishment candidate, so Ms. McCain's vast experience in politics and running for office probably won't influence many Delawareans of any age to listen to her latest rant," Matt Moran, O'Donnell's campaign manager said in a statement.

O'Donnell has depicted her candidacy as an effort to give ordinary Americans upset with the direction of the country a voice in Washington.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Meghan McCain
  1. gg

Meghan is one of the few voices of reason left in the Republican-Stalinist party, although the reactionary cadres are striving to expel her.

October 17, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  2. garc

I really like her, and I'm no Republican. If the Republicans want to attract any sane young voters, they will pay attention to what she has to say.

October 17, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  3. T'SAH from Virginia

Meghan is a person that wants to be more liberal and at the same time, respect her party!! There is NOTHING wrong with that!!! That's like being raised as a Catholic and then later on becoming a Baptist – it's still religion!!

I respect her for having her OWN opinion and no one should DOWN her for that!!! I don't even think this bothers John McCain because he is also TRAPPED in two places – the only thing about John McCain is that he does not know how to handle it!!

This is T'SAH from Virginia and I approve this message!!!

October 17, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  4. ufadoof

"you can just "wake up and run for Senate," regardless of past experience."

For once I actually agree with her.
    Though I think that Obama would not fall under that tent.

October 17, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  5. CBR

Megan McCain has a right to state her beliefs and to have them quoted. After campaigning for her father, she certainly has credentials to talk about politics.

John McCain ran for the presidency He was defeated and is now running for reelection to the Senate. You may not like his views. you may not like his choice of friends, and you may have disagreed with his choice for a raining mate. You can criticize him for his political choices. This does not mean we are entitled to call him names or deride him as a person.

When we learn to write and criticize fairly it will be a new day in the United States. Freedom of Speech – yes, but it is our job to put that into practice without adding such negative words about Sen. McCain, or President Obama. How do we teach our children to respect others when we do not do that.

October 17, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  6. Lily Ashkenazy

May be someone will remind Meghan, that America is NOT England, and doesn't have discriminating "high society"?
    "We the PEOPLE, by the PEOPLE, for the PEOPLE"! – That's what America is made of...:).

October 17, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  7. SC

While I firmly agree with Meghan, I appreciate living in a country where any "Joe Shmoe" has the freedom to run for office. Lighten up, people! O'Donnell is a flash in the pan – grab some popcorn, sit back and enjoy the show!

October 17, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  8. bob pepse

Waking up one day and running for office worked for Obama, and none of you democrats complained. Obama was clearly unqualified for the job, and he's doing great (right??). Why can't it work now for O'Donnell?

October 17, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  9. DAVE

""I just know, in my group of friends, it turns people off because she's seen as a nut job," McCain said on ABC's "This Week" program. "It scares me for a lot of reasons."

This is exactly how my circle of friends feel about Sarah Palin...truer words were never spoken about either person and i don't like Megan McCain...so this is scary for that reason , too

October 17, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  10. kenneth fusilier

Megan is right 100% she spoke her mind and she told the truth(period)

October 17, 2010 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  11. jenn, philadelphia

After seeing Megan McCain list Christine O'Donnell's qualifications (or lack thereof) to run for the Senate, I think it makes O'Donnell qualified to run for president. She has as much experience as Obama does (no history on positions, no success in business, etc.).

October 17, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  12. Evans independent

No experience, never owned a company, no other noticeable acheivements other than winning the nomination sounds like Obama to me.

October 17, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  13. Mike S.

It is refreshing to hear an honest Republican admit that candidates like O'Donnell are nut jobs. Meghan also has Sarah Palin's number. Maybe if more Pubs started weeding their party from these lunatic fringers, they might run the country again.

October 17, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  14. 4sanity

I applaud anyone who seeks to run for public office (including US senate). I don't care about a perceived lack of "work experience" being a politician as a prerequisite for office but such candidates are unlikely to succeed because they have to convince millions of voters, who do judge their candidates on work experience and track record. If you have little idea about a candidate's voting record you just have their word to go on – and we know how reliable that can be.

Instead, if the candidate is articulate and knows the basics of government, they have my interest. Christine O'Donnell may be articulate but I haven't heard even ONE substantial policy position (bumper sticker slogans don't count) and she is inept when it comes to understanding how our government institutions work. She deserves to get soundly beaten by Coons who would represent Delaware interests much better – irrespective of the side of the political divide you reside on.

If she does miraculously win, you can guarantee that she'll be "controlled" (and I mean that literally) by her handlers and lobbyists for the next 4 years. High level politics needs people who can think independently for themselves to be able to see complex issues and argue their positions thoughtfully (aka President Obama). Good luck with the likes of Mama Grizzlies like O'Donnell, Palin, Angle and Brewer.

October 17, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Once again- Meghan said someting i agree with! Too bad most conservatives aren't that savvy. They embrace anything non-Democrat.

October 17, 2010 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  16. ricosu

It scares me how far out on a limb the Tea Party will go to vote for someone: too much Beck and Limbaugh. Down here in Az they want to vote for people with GED's over well educated adversaries. Don't waste your breath about the common man. They people who had the drive to become educated and knowledgeable ARE common people with drive and intellect. What kind of confidence should I have in a GED? He/she didn't like reading. Oh yeah! That's what we need: the anti-intellectuals, anti-science and conspiracy theorists.
    Thank god for sensible people like Meghan!

October 17, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  17. Marla Dean

My daughter, who never follows politics, made a great comment when I told her about O.Donnell. She said "Maybe I should run for an office. My platform would be – I am not an idiot".
    She at least would have more common sense than either Palin or O'Donnell.

October 17, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  18. W.G.

I love Meghan she´s smart and beautiful and she realizes that the republicans are headed in the wrong direction .
    Palin is a nut job and O´Donnell is a nut job .

October 17, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  19. Uncle Sam

Does anyone else find it interesting that many like Meghan McCain judge Ms. O'Donnell by what they know of her by the media?

October 17, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. Dawn

This girl is the only Republican who's opinions happen to make any damn sense!

October 17, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  21. Phillip

This is the "new media" folks; anyone who has even a slight hint of notability can be given facetime on a major news outlet's website. Meghan McCain is no different than Levi Johnston, the liberal media shows Ms. McCain some love and she learns to love the attention and she's then conditioned to say the type of things that will get her attention.

The fact she pointedly says O'Donnell can't run for Senate based off her lack of experience is truely sad. Any legal citizen in this country who has a voice and wants to represent their fellow citizens "is" qualified to make an attempt to do so. It's this elitest mentality that is currently undermining the country.

October 17, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |