October 17th, 2010

White House Dispatch: Obamas mix playful banter with hardcore political pitch

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) – At their maiden campaign event together for the midterm election, First Lady Michelle Obama and President Obama mixed playful banter with a hardcore political pitch to re-elect Democratic incumbents here and across the country.

At a Cleveland fundraiser before heading here for a late-night rally on the campus of Ohio State University, Mrs. Obama introduced her husband as "the love of my life, even though he doesn't always think it. And more importantly, the President of the United States."

"It is not true that more importantly I am the President of the United States," the President replied when he got the microphone. "More importantly, I am Michelle Obama's husband, and Malia and Sasha's father, and Michelle has put up with me through thick and thin, and I'm grateful for her each and every day."

Since this is their first joint campaign swing since 2008, the President told the crowd that he's normally campaigning all alone just listening to his iPod, and teased the First Lady about telling him what to do.

"We had a wonderful conversation on the way here," the President said of their flight aboard Air Force One, pausing for effect. "And she's telling me what I should do. It's true. ... You think I"m joking. I'm not. I have witnesses."

About 350 people attended the fundraiser held in a private home with tickets ranging from $750 to $5,000 per person. The proceeds benefited Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, who is facing a tough challenge from Republican John Kasich, and the state Democratic party.

Mrs. Obama cast the upcoming election as a test of whether voters can move past cynicism in the country, saying Strickland and the President ignore polls and "noisy chatter" to try and help move the country forward on issues like health care, college affordability, and aid to military veterans.

The President repeated familiar themes from his recent travels, comparing the change he is trying to achieve to such monumental moments in American history as ending slavery and giving women the right to vote.

He told the crowd "I implore you" to re-elect Strickland, contending that the governor has been working hard to turn around the especially hard-hit economy in the state.

Filed under: 2010 • Michelle Obama • President Obama
  1. Kenneth Close

$5000 a ticket:Now there is a way to keep the so called little people engaged!!!!!!

October 17, 2010 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  2. CNN watcher

The first couple is so cute together. God bless them.

October 17, 2010 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  3. King

We need people that is going push this country forward we can il aford to go backward or stagnate for the next two years. This will do serious damage to our country even if the baggers succeed on getting rid of obama we might not beable to recover.

October 17, 2010 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  4. tracy

Love you so Mrs. Obama. You Rock big time. love you too Mr. President, very much.

October 17, 2010 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  5. Leena

They are great. Love is in the air......

October 17, 2010 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  6. Donnatella

What a nice looking couple.

October 17, 2010 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  7. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Ohio is my home state with honest and hard working people, my family worked in the steel industry as many families. When Bush put the people of Ohio in the soup lines, after loosing their jobs, pension, etc., it hurt me to my heart and they still haven't recovered. Ohio deserves jobs, they've worked and earned jobs and not to continue to support the wealth of the Republican party who frankly don't give a D. Please Mr. President, help Ohioians, they deserve it.

October 17, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  8. barry

I guess the Liberal Media is still so in love with Obama. Unfortunately the majority of the rest of us are suffering from his job killing agenda. I hope Strickland wins by 8 to 10%. Obama has spent more time in Ohio than he has in Washington and his approval rating there is worse than George W. Bush's. Ohio knows who's policies cost them their jobs and they aren't buying Obama's BS.

October 17, 2010 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  9. Anitasmiles

Obama can smile all he wants but that doesn't hide the fact he is lying to the American people.
    If the American people want the real truth...then listen to the truth from Obama himself and stop hiding and covering up for him.....
    How important is the truth to you.....

Go to youtube..."Shock vido Obama in his own words will eliminate private insurance"...and while your there also type in.....

Shock video top Dem, socialists plot '1-world' scheme'

October 18, 2010 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  10. Anonymous

Obama should play the Trump Card .... he has kept AMERICA safe

October 18, 2010 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  11. Celticbarde

it is unfortunate that you aren't a little more sensitive about your choice of words, for the bi-line of this article. Then, again, you aren't in the business of fairness, you're in the business of garnering clients, for your ads. It is unfortunate, but that is the predominate theme of this election season. it is all about Corporate interests, which are, more often than not, in conflict with America's interests. There is nothing " hardcore " about our democratic elections.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS, BRING THEM HOME, ALIVE AND WHOLE. NOW.

October 18, 2010 09:07 am at 9:07 am |