October 20th, 2010

Trail Running: Conway: 'Aquabuddha ad' will 'run its course'

Hopkinsville, KY (CNN) – Kentucky Democratic Senate candidate Jack Conway said his controversial campaign spot, dubbed by political observers as the 'aquabuddha ad,' won't be on the airwaves much longer.

"The ad will run its course and we'll be talking about a lot of different issues," Conway confirmed to CNN.

In an interview with CNN at a campaign stop in Hopkinsville, Kentucky, Conway said he personally approved the ad targeting his Republican opponent Rand Paul. "I think he has to answer the questions," Conway said.

The ad alleges that as a college student at Baylor University, Paul belonged to a group that mocked Christians, and once forced a woman to kneel before a "false idol" named "Aquabuddha."

Paul told a conservative talk radio show today he had no memory of the alleged "Aquabuddha" incident.

Conway, who said his actions as a college student were also fair game, says voters can draw a line from Paul's behavior at Baylor to the GOP contender's Tea Party beliefs as a candidate.

Filed under: 2010 • Jack Conway • Kentucky • Rand Paul
  1. Concerned Voter

Run it til election day. It's not a lie, Rand Paul really partook in this.

October 20, 2010 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  2. GOP Scorched Earth Politics

Stop capitulating to the GOP. Nut Gringrinch is out pushing his politics of hate and calling Dem's terrorists. The least the Dem's should do is give the GOP a dose of their own medicine. Hmmm tasty.

October 20, 2010 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  3. Danny Cali

I agree with Jack Conway Rand Paul need to answer the questions and the Tea Party need to answer all the questions too.

October 20, 2010 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  4. Trixie

These Tea Party Nut Jobs gets into the Senate and I will be ashamed to be an American.
    I pretty much am with the way the Republican Party and the Tea party behave with such hate and bigotry.
    When President Obama became President I was proud to be an American again.
    With all these nut jobs like Palin, Paul, O;Donnell, Angel, ect. they are not what America is all about.
    This is a outrage and every American should be outraged by their behavior.

October 20, 2010 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  5. Trixie

Rand Paul is such a baby! He is a disgrace!

October 20, 2010 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  6. vic nashville tn

Tea party agenda is criticizes others faith so let the ad run till the election

October 20, 2010 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  7. Justin Cider

You would think Palin would be all over Paul since she's the leading Jesus freak these days...

October 20, 2010 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  8. welches, oregon

The Tea Party seems to have one strange candidate after another..

October 20, 2010 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  9. TS37

Come on Rand! Is this "I don't remember" the BEST line you can play for questions that have been out there for weeks? Or are you and your lovely wife going to keep throwing out the righteous indignation non-answer? Mr. Paul, like a number of other Tea Party candidates, is now finding his past actions catching up with him. Running from the press (as in "I'm not sure I will show up for another public debate with my lousy Democrat opponent") just will not do. Rand: do you have any political handlers with any savvy? Or do you just not pay attention to the ones you have? SO MUCH BETTER to have answered the hard questions from the very beginning. Or maybe you did tell the truth when you said "I don't remember." Were you so busy being a stoned college party boy that you really don't remember all your lapses in judgment? Aqua Buddha is not going away.

October 20, 2010 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  10. T'SAH from Virginia

I figure it would run its course which most likely ended yesterday!! Too much negative responses toward the AD so this is how you end it 'graciously'!!!

If it's TRUE, then everyone in the country knows but ONLY KY will decide if it would make a difference in their VOTE!!!

But what I want to say – VOTE DEMOCRAT so that we can continue to MOVE AMERICA FORWARD!!!!

This is T'SAH from Virginia and I approve this message!!

October 20, 2010 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  11. Abby

We Kentuckians are taking a beating over his low life ad. I honestly hate to say I live in KY at this point. It's going to take a while for the rest of the country to get this bad taste out of their mouths! Just think, we elected him to Attorney General! Dear Lord, what were we thinking! Now, I would hate to admit I voted for this guy....so it has to be a no vote for me.

October 20, 2010 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  12. Steve

Conway is a loser! If I lived in KY and even thought about voting for him, after seeing this ad, I wouldn't give this sleazeball the time of day. No way would he get my vote. It's unfortunate that this clown has to resort to dirty political tactics instead of facing up to the issues of the day. Jobs, Jobs and more Jobs! The economy. Flawed Obamacare. Double dip recession. I hope this guy goes down on Nov. 2nd.

October 20, 2010 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  13. pat

I think you can tell someone's character by their antics as a college student. I think you can tell in high school if someone is going to be of good character. And as Conway suggested, he'll match his college days to Paul's any day. That seems fair.

October 20, 2010 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  14. 13 Days until Socialism dies in the United States

Maybe Conway can answer a question if he is so concerned about people answering quertions? Here's one for YOU:

"Why should the American people send another Obozo rubber stamper to the Senate?"

October 20, 2010 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  15. D. Bunker

Hopefully the next few ads will target Paul's extremist views on things like repealing civil rights laws and Social Security. Paul is dangerously unfit to govern. Electing hin would be like allowing a child to play with a gun unsupervised.

October 20, 2010 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  16. Annie, Atlanta

Who cares about aquabuddha, really? What I want to know is why the GOP is ready to gut what remains of the middle class in favor of their rich friends. How much more do they want to take from us? They took our jobs. They took our pensions. They took our homes, when we lost our jobs. Why do they keep coming at us? All that's left is to pick our bones, and they're more than happy to do that.

They want to do away with or privatize Social Security (makes the wall street banksters even richer, of course). They want to take away unemployment which is keeping some of us fed (one nut went so far as to call it unconstitutional even though his wife was receiving benefits). They want to do away with Medicare, or privatize it to help out those banksters again. Or in the alternative charge people on it a $2000 deductible (oh holy Aquabuddha). Yet they want us to pay their six figure salaries and provide them with the best medical benefits our taxes can buy. What is this crap? "I hate government, but I want to be part of it, and I will take from it everything that I can get and lots more too if I get in the good graces of the right lobbyists." We have witnessed the total corruption of one of only two major political parties in this country. Will the Dems be very far behind?

October 20, 2010 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |