October 21st, 2010

O'Donnell regrets witch ad, reveals Halloween costume

(CNN) - It was the ad that launched a thousand parodies. Now Delaware Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell says she regrets her famous "I am not a witch" ad.

"I haven't publicly stated this and I don't know if I will get in trouble for saying that, but our intention was to kill [the witch story] and that's not what happened," she said in an interview with ABC News.

The ad in question, O'Donnell's first of the general election, launched earlier this month and featured the surprise Republican Senate nominee pointedly stating, "I am not a witch. I am nothing you've heard. I am you."

The ad immediately went viral, given its peculiar opening, and soon spawned several parodies – most notably one on Saturday Night Live. But perhaps most damaging for O’Donnell, the ad did exactly what her campaign was trying to prevent: keeping her witchcraft comments from 10 years ago in the headlines.

Ultimately, O'Donnell said she wants voters to think about her fiscal conservatism when they go to the polls, not the fact that "this is a woman who is not a witch."

Still, O'Donnell may keep the witch narrative alive for a few more days given her choice of Halloween costume:

"I was thinking about just going as Dorothy. I killed the witch, there you go!" she said.

UPDATE: GOP ad maker Fred Davis, who produced the commercial, had no comment regarding O’Donnell’s remarks.

In an interview last week with CNN National Political Correspondent Jessica Yellin, he said the goal of the ad was to personalize the candidate while not completely ignoring her past remarks.

“My goal was to give people the same impression of Christine O'Donnell, that I had the first second that I met her standing in a hotel lobby when we were trying to figure out where to go to dinner and I was very wary and she kinda won me over ....she was very nice,” Davis said. “She didn't sound crazy. She didn’t sound like witch. She didn't sound like any of those things, and I wanted the rest of the world to hear that as well.”

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. rikko

I'm so sick of hearing the majority of the country didn't want the health care bill. A lot of people didn't like it because it didn't have a public option or didn't go FAR ENOUGH! Anyway, the majority of the country didn't want Bush either, remember that?

October 21, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  2. kenneth fusilier

Christine odonnell get ready for halloween its trick or treet and joke is on you come nov 2.you will be able to go home and practice your witchcraft like a full time job

October 21, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  3. Glenn from Cary

Gosh, Christine. We knew you weren't a witch. That was the least of our worries. And the ad wasn't the problem. The problem is you're you.

October 21, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  4. Name

I sure hope the goes the way of Palin: total garbage in terms of politics, and total gold in terms of entertainment!

October 21, 2010 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  5. Mike in Texas

Just another nutjob from the goofballs at Tea-bagger central!

October 21, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  6. Marcus

Sigh...
    I don't care if she is or not a 'witch'.
    My problem is that she, like all radicals, only sees what she wants and even when she's faced with proofs that her vision is wrong, she doesn't NOT change her mind.
    For instance, to all those that defended her about the 'separation of State and church' issue either by quoting the same portion of the Constitution that her rival did, and trying to interprate it through their point of view, or said that the term was coined in a letter from thomas Jefferson of 1802 (16 years after the Constitution was signed)...
    You're right, the term WAS coined in that letter, which was a reply from Mr. Jefferson (then the POTUS) to a religious group who was fearing that another religious group (who disliked them) might try to persecute them or impose their religious point of view over them by using the powers that the Administrative branch of the government of that state might give to them.
    Mr. Jefferson explained, among other arguments by quoting that same passage, that it would never ever happen as long as the Constitution of the United States stood as it was (Bill of Rights and all...) since it (the 1st Ammendment) had built a wall between State and Church. He was called un-Christian (by the group feared by those who had wrote to him) for that, but eventually his position was made clear by the SCOTUS... since he had only explained an idea (present in the Constitution) that many other Founding Fathers agreed with (including George Washington)!!!!
    But did O'Sonnell changed her point of view about separation of Church and State?

October 21, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  7. rdepontb

This poor woman is woefully unprepared not just to be a Senator, not just to run for the Senate, but apprently even to cast an informed vote as a citizen. She was clueless about Supreme Court cases, she was clueless about who the Democratic Senators are, she was clueless about even the First Amendment. Any way her "staff of advisors" tries to cut it, Christine O'Donnell is simply not ready for this heady a role.

What we are observing is the work of those who have hijacked the once-honorable Tea Party idealists and campaigns, and are trying to put in place a gaggle of puppets to do the work of the Koch brothers and Karl Rove and their like. Those people are peeved at both Democrats and Republicans, in fact are peeved at all Americans, and want to neutralize not just honest opposition but also any who might be so bold as to question them publicly (are questions asked innocently in private subject to Second Amendment remedies?).

Please, Tea Party die-hards-get control of things before the election, make your original goals of fiscal responsbility known, and STAY ON MESSAGE.

October 21, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  8. cecilia

what amazes me is that palin is just a ignorant at o'donnell but palin is still given a platform to spew her stupid remarks.
    i just dont get that

October 21, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  9. Bill

And your little dog too!!

October 21, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  10. mary225

Which witch is which? I think Christine cast a bad spell over the entire Republican Party.... $arah gave her some really bad advice...Sarah tried to downplay her own stupid mistakes (like writing notes on her hand for an interview, for example) by joking about it and constantly refering to it, but the tactic backfired for O'Donnell. Why? Because the field of stupid Republican women is too crowded, so there's no room for you, Christine. Now jump on your broomstick and scram.

October 21, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  11. Dave

I couldn't care less if Christine O'Donnell was/is a witch. What I do care about is that she's an extreme right-wing nut with an IQ of a canned ham. Whether or not she’s a witch is the least of her problems…

October 21, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  12. June in Chicago

Christine – you are a witch. Just as your hero Sarah Palin is a witch. But, I belive it should be spelled "which", as in "which way will I let my thoughts wander today". Anyone who would seriously consider this completely incompetent person to hold ANY office, is as nuts as she is. Unfortunately, there are a lot of nuts out there.

October 21, 2010 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  13. Chris

This woman spend so much time regretting what she's done she barely has time to make any new mistakes to regret.

October 21, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  14. jdoggers

Until you and other politicians from the tea party start doing real interviews on networks other than that phony "news" organization fox, then I don't care what you have to say. I'm not going to vote for any politician who isn't willing to answer tough questions from the real media. If you don't have what it takes to answer tough questions, then you don't have what it takes to make the tough decisions needed in order to run the country.

October 21, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  15. Moosehead

I'm not a fan of O'Donnell,.. i think she's not qualified and totally in over her head,.. but she's not a mean person,.. not as mean as the Moose Queen from Alaska,.. she's a genius compared to Palin,.. and it's a shame she got herself embroiled with the Tea Party crowd. They'll use her,.. and when she loses,.. they'll dump all over her.

October 21, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  16. DarthWoo

I would think that she should regret insulting everyone who watched the ad by stating that we were anything like her even more so.

October 21, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  17. Birdwatcher1

The fact that this woman got the vote, and the spotlight is due 100% to her looks. She has no brain at all. If she were fat and ugly she would NEVER have made it this far – just like the Palinator.

October 21, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  18. Jaywing

The new Terror in our midst, brought to you through the lies and mis-representations of the how and why the Consitiution was crafted and refined by the Amendment process, by the likes of Odonnel, Palin, Paul, Angle and and the rest of the Tea-Bagger crowd, is the Terror of Ignorance and Stupidity. Thanks GOP!! You couldn't stop with just being obstructionist - now you've thrown your lot in with these extremist, ignorant nutjobs.

October 21, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  19. Dave

Coons def mopped the stage with this little nothing who says she's a Constitutional expert and yet doesn't know what the 13th amendment is? Acted dumb about the 1st Amendment? Acted dumb? Wait, I think she is dumb. What the hell is she doing in the national spotlight. Oh yeah, it's the Palinization of America.

October 21, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  20. Ian

Really? @ Rickster... Did you actually watch the debate? She didn't even know that the first amendment has provisions for the separation of church and state, and she was dumbfounded on two other constitutional amendments. She even said (not an exact quote, from memory) that it was a good thing that as senator, that she didn't have to memorize the constitution to do her job. The platform she is running under is as a constitutional republican! I am by no means a politically minded person, but even I could get elected over her. Seriously. I would ruin her. I am beginning to believe that the tea party really is a democrat conspiracy to make republicans look stupid, because I would like to believe that someone who made it past their primaries in a senate election could not be this mind numbingly ignorant.

October 21, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  21. Annie, Atlanta

Rickster – You do realize that this woman who has gone all Constitution on us didn't have a clue what was in the first amendment, right? She lost all credibility with that nonsense.

One of many of my favorite quotes:

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." – Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan

October 21, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  22. Charlie

Seems democrats can't discuss issues so they make character assassinations. O'Donnell is right Social Security is a failure and must be dumped. The U.S. Dept. of Education only takes tax payer money and gives it back tot he tax payer after skimming 40%; get rid of it and cut tax rates. The IRS tax code should be re-written tp be 10 pages; assuring that everyone who earns money pays a t least something.

October 21, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  23. mohillic

i honestly thought that when i clicked the link the big secret would have been "i never learned to read"

that would have been awesome :(

October 21, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  24. mbays01

The funniest thing in the article is Fred Davis's comment – "She didn't sound like a witch." How many witches does he know? I guess he must have witch friends.

October 21, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |