October 21st, 2010

O'Donnell regrets witch ad, reveals Halloween costume

(CNN) - It was the ad that launched a thousand parodies. Now Delaware Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell says she regrets her famous "I am not a witch" ad.

"I haven't publicly stated this and I don't know if I will get in trouble for saying that, but our intention was to kill [the witch story] and that's not what happened," she said in an interview with ABC News.

The ad in question, O'Donnell's first of the general election, launched earlier this month and featured the surprise Republican Senate nominee pointedly stating, "I am not a witch. I am nothing you've heard. I am you."

The ad immediately went viral, given its peculiar opening, and soon spawned several parodies – most notably one on Saturday Night Live. But perhaps most damaging for O’Donnell, the ad did exactly what her campaign was trying to prevent: keeping her witchcraft comments from 10 years ago in the headlines.

Ultimately, O'Donnell said she wants voters to think about her fiscal conservatism when they go to the polls, not the fact that "this is a woman who is not a witch."

UPDATE: GOP ad maker Fred Davis, who produced the commercial, had no comment regarding O’Donnell’s remarks.

In an interview last week with CNN National Political Correspondent Jessica Yellin, he said the goal of the ad was to personalize the candidate while not completely ignoring her past remarks.

“My goal was to give people the same impression of Christine O'Donnell, that I had the first second that I met her standing in a hotel lobby when we were trying to figure out where to go to dinner and I was very wary and she kinda won me over ....she was very nice,” Davis said. “She didn't sound crazy. She didn’t sound like witch. She didn't sound like any of those things, and I wanted the rest of the world to hear that as well.”

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. Jeff in Virginia

This is not the Palin Buzz that I thought I would be seeing.

October 21, 2010 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  2. Sorensen

Who cares what this nothing woman thinks about anything? She fits in well with the rest of the republiCONS.

October 21, 2010 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  3. Former Republican - Now Independent

I am certain that the voters of Delaware regret having the Tea-Republican Party foist this "lite" version of Sarah Palin on them as well.

October 21, 2010 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  4. Me

"I haven't publicly stated this and I don't know if I will get in trouble for saying that, but our intention was to kill it and that's not what happened," she said in an interview with ABC News.

Yeah...Hmmmm...Umm, Didn't YOU sayYOU were NOT going to do ANY more interviews with the national media?
    And yet you gran ABC News an interview?!?
    Why? I'm just asking.

CNN why aren't you harping on the fact she gave an interview with ABC and not you? Don't you want this train wreck on your air waves. SHE'S RATINGS GOLD I TELLS YA!!!

October 21, 2010 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  5. Rickster

Despite what the liberal media has been saying, O'Donnell destroyed Coons in the debate. Coons was outed as being just another bitter, unlikeable, lying, despicable democrat.

October 21, 2010 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  6. T'SAH from Virginia

When you start out saying you're NOT something – people will take it as if you ARE!!!

AND, here you go again mentioning the WITCH THING!!! Also, it's difficult for people to just think about you and your "...fiscal conservatism when they go to the polls..." because you PREACH on the Constitution and don't even know it????

[Still, O'Donnell may keep the witch narrative alive for a few more days given her choice of Halloween costume:
    "I was thinking about just going as Dorothy. I killed the witch, there you go!" she said.]

Here you go again – still thinking WITCH??? Do you actually know “WITCH way is UP?” SNL is going to take this to the bank too.........WATCH!!!

This is T'SAH from Virginia and I approve this message!!

October 21, 2010 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  7. Texas Doc

At least she didn't have to say that she isn't really a nazi, that she only dresses like one on the weekends (which another GOP candidate had to do) GOP= witchcraft and nazis, what a winning combination. This is the real face of the Tea Party.

October 21, 2010 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  8. NVa Native

Of all the stupid and insulting things she's said over the years and this is theo one she regrets?
    Probably because this is the full blown video that shows her intelligence and her lack of understanding even to those who worship her.

October 21, 2010 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  9. jake

I wonder what model and make of broom she rides?

October 21, 2010 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  10. HCX

Maybe she would be better off going as the tin man so she could get a brain.

October 21, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  11. shoegazer

Just shows how naive she really is.You come across as some sort of political neophyte,put an ad out like this and don't expect the fallout.Wake up America.

October 21, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  12. vic nashville tn

Christine O'Donnell we like you democrats like you, remember republicans dump you

By the way thanks for Hillary comments

October 21, 2010 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  13. Svm

As a pagan, wiccan, american i am highly offended by this person who may very well get a seat at the table in dc. it's outrageous that such a religiously insensative person will even have a shot.

October 21, 2010 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. Svm

I mean seriously O'donnel is our religion a joke to you?

October 21, 2010 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  15. pinky

When you have to deny you are a witch is because you are one. The image did not look good either. Do no know much about politics though! The Tea Party seems way to the right, like the Democratic party which some are way to the left. What this country needs is move to the center!

October 21, 2010 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  16. Mikey

And here I thought the witch thing was to distract from her real liabilities, such as her wacky positions on several issues or the likely true allegations that she used campaign funds for personal expenses. Better to be debating if you're a witch or not, rather than if you committed campaign finance fraud multiple times.

Hey, but I'm sure 25% of the population will vote for her no matter what – the same 25% that still thought Bush was doing a good job in 2008.

October 21, 2010 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama

O'Donnell regrets witch ad,
    -------------------------------------------------–
    That should be the LEAST of her EXTENSIVE repertoir of regrets.

October 21, 2010 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  18. Maggie

I dont think O,Donnell has to worry to much about the witch thing. It is all the other," Head Scratching" paraphrases,that have piled up before and after the incident,that hurts you? Answer: Not Qualified? Wait till the next election,and do alot of study,and reading important documents. Just a suggestion?

October 21, 2010 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  19. Charlie

I will vote for her.

October 21, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  20. Archer

If she gets elected, I'm moving to Canada

October 21, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  21. dont care what you Demoncrates say

dont worry, you got my vote if I was there, because the no name you are running against is a marxist

October 21, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  22. jw

she's not as hot as Sarah, but i'd vote for her on looks alone. If I've gotta see a politician on tv, might as well be nice to look at.

October 21, 2010 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  23. Tom in Delaware

I liked the ad....especially the part where she said she'd "go to Washington and do what you'd do".......that's more than what any Democrat would do..........that Health Care bill that the majority of the country hates was a real doozy.....you Dems have fun on your big vacation.

Don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way out.

October 21, 2010 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  24. Robert

The fact she was or is a witch doesn't matter – it's a non-issue. She is unelectable on the basis that she has phony extremist ideas such as woman not being allowed to have an abortion even in the case of rape or incest, she wants creationism to be taught in the classroom, etc. She has demonstrated a patent lack of knowledge requisite to be a senator. I could accept a witch in office. I could accept even a Martian. But I will not accept a person with extremist ideas who is unqualified to lead.

October 21, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. Joe

It was the Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz who wanted a brain the Tin Man needed a heart. Maybe she needs both lol.

October 21, 2010 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |