October 21st, 2010

Rand Paul to CNN: "I've never said or written anything un-Christian in my life."

Louisville, KY (CNN) - Kentucky Republican Senate candidate Dr. Rand Paul defended his Christian faith and sharply criticized his Democratic rival, Jack Conway in response to the now infamous "aquabuddha ad." Conway's TV attack ad accuses Paul of once belonging to an organization that mocked Christianity while the GOP contender was a student at Baylor University.

"In my entire live, I've written and said a lot of things. I've never said or written anything un-Christian in my life," Paul said.

In a brief interview with CNN, the Tea Party-backed candidate slammed Conway for running the spot, which claims Paul once forced a woman to kneel before a false idol named "aquabuddha." "I think he ought to be ashamed of himself," Paul said.

At a news conference at the Atlas Machine and Supply outside of Louisville, Paul said the ad would discourage future candidates from running for political office. During the event, Paul signed a pledge to repeal the Estate Tax, dubbed the "death tax" by conservatives. Most of the questions at the press conference were focused on the "aquabuddha" controversy.

Paul told CNN he doubts the voters care about the questions raised in the spot. "I mean people are concerned about the federal takeover of health care. They're concerned about taxes, jobs, the economy," Paul said. "I don't really think they're concerned about or want to talk about one man's accusation of another man's religion," he added.

Conway told CNN yesterday he plans to run more issue-oriented spots in the final days of the campaign and will let the "aquabuddha" ad "run its course." He defended the spot saying Paul needs to answer questions about his behavior as a college student.

Filed under: 2010 • Jack Conway • Kentucky • Rand Paul
  1. Sniffit

Well, Randroid certainly shined his inexperience to a high gloss before making that statement. Talk about an invitation to the blogosphere to prove him wrong. Idiot.

Besides, the ad is about questioning his judgment based on his behavior, not about questioning his faith. Randroid DESPERATELY wants to characterize it as the latter so he can play the victim card...because, well, the ad was effective at doing the former. That's why he trotted out his wife to cry about it too.

October 21, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  2. John

Mr Paul, to repeat a euphamism you recently used when addressing your opponent: How can one tell when you are lying? Your lips are moving.

October 21, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  3. Dave

Why do I feel like this statement is going to come back to haunt him? People are digging up everything he's ever written as we speak.

October 21, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  4. Independent

He should be struck down by lightening from the heavens for saying this lie.

October 21, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  5. GOP Scorched Earth Politics

Except the part about wanting to repeal Civil Rights, Healthcare, Social Security or other programs that millions of Americans depend on.

October 21, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  6. Augsbee

Oh please, no one cares that Krystall Ball, the Democrat Congressional candidate from Virginia posed with a sex toy at a party some years ago, she herself doesn't care about the sexually suggestive pictures of herself and then husband.

October 21, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  7. ingrid

I hope Rand Paul does not win because he is crazy, but that said, he should not have to defend himself about the aqua buddha. Who cares? I found the more troubling part of that story was tying up some woman!!! Why does that not get more play?

October 21, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  8. blackburndh@aol.com

Why has it taken Rand Paul so long to come out to the article in GQ Magazine, NY Times, the Debates and news accounts that reported that he had in fact made the statements. I don't think he can be trusted to tell the truth, especially if it would undercut his election chances. He never denied the comments during the debate I watched. He just tried to shame Conway.

October 21, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  9. Beverly - NYC

I guess pseudo arresting those pesky reporters does not work in Kentucky. In all of the protesting by you and your spouse you've yet to deny being a member of the offending group. We all know you got Newt's memo it not what you do but what you say.

October 21, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  10. Allison

Note that Rand Paul has not denied on the record any of the accusations Conway made in the ad.

October 21, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  11. Randolph Carter, I'm no expert, but...

How dare you deny Aquabuddha? He will punish you by turning you into a newt! He will slap you around with His fins and turn all votes for you into hanging chads. Don't mess with Aquabuddha! Have a nice day!

October 21, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  12. YBP

When Republicans claim to be Christian, and they seldom fail to, I wonder exactly how they define what being Christian is. I wouldn't suspect by their words or their actions or even any of their principles or philosophy that they are in any way Christian. Yet the Democrats, who do not usually wear their religion on their sleeves, seem in most cases to behave in a more civil, soft-spoken manner. They are more fair-minded. They are more apt to play by the rules, reach across the aisle (perhaps Obama's biggest mistake), and be outspoken on behalf of the poor and working class. Yet they get no points for any of that. In fact the Democrats are not even considered patriotic. Isn't it like the old hymn goes: "And they'll know we are Christians by our love?"

October 21, 2010 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  13. Me

Except your noted objection to the civil rights act of 1964. Those statements were notably 'un-Christian'

DON'T VOTE FOR RAND PAUL, HE DOESN'T BELIEVE IN EQUAL RIGHTS!

October 21, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  14. S. in California Laughing In Anticipation Of How Well Democrats Turnout At The Polls

First of all CNN shouldn't it be LIFE instead of live?

As for Mr. Paul: No, you just ACT (un)Christian.

October 21, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  15. Marcus

To be fair and square I REALLY don't think that the aquabuddha is an issue to be dealt with. Paul said and done things way more offensive to the American people's values than that silly stuff....

October 21, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  16. John

Rand Paul you are till UNQUALIFIED to be in the U.S.SENATE, your idea are way to far out there. Like SARAN PALIN all way say is man-up but you send your wife out yesterday to do your taking.

October 21, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  17. Michael in Houston

What you did in a college frat dorm is not of a concern to me Mr Paul. What does concern me is your currently tied lock and step with a wacko extreme group called the Tea Party and your agenda is the same as theirs. That sir is what makes you a lousy candidate, an unlikeable candidate, and a dangerous candidate. I am sure you love having the spotlight and discussion placed on your antics in college as that is relative nonsense and keeps the focus and discussion off who and what you are.

October 21, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  18. Lisa P

As usual the problem isn't the attack, it's the cover-up. It starts with denying a college prank and ends with telling lies about "the federal takeover of health care" (which, unfortunately, is nowhere in the horrible, private insurance-protecting, Frankenstein of a bill we're currently stuck with).

Any reasonable person would forgive Paul his foolish youth, if asked; what's telling is that he can't or won't ask. He's not looking for the votes of reasonable people, he's playing to the ideologues who hear "I've never said or written anything un-Christian in my life" and don't wonder if the man is lying or deluding himself or just an out-and-out idiot. Why would Kentuckians want someone with such a very narrow world view to represent them - all of them - in Congress? I promise you, there are no simple answers to our problems at this point, whatever Rand Paul tells you. Demanding simple answers will only get you no answers, and the problems are only going to get worse.

October 21, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  19. Tony Z

When are you going to talk about issues? What we have heard you back track.

October 21, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  20. stufthis

I listened to Paul say he did not agree with the civil rights legislation of 1964, and that is about as un Christ like as you can get. By the way, why isn't he hiding behind his wife's skirt, and letting her do the talking?

October 21, 2010 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  21. NotFooled

Sorry, I'm not buying what Pauls selling. Christianity is in complete contrast to his Ayn Randian beliefs. HIs philosophies are like that kind of nonsense you'd dream up in college after smoking tons of dope. Grow up Mr. Paul, your beliefs are the stuff of fantasy – unless you want the US to resemble a nirvana like Somalia.

October 21, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  22. vic nashville tn

Finally he spoke to CNN let him explain in AC 360 or Eliot Spitzer

October 21, 2010 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  23. andy

Who cares if you said anything un-Cristian, when however have you ever said anything remotely intelligent?

October 21, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. A Grown Up

Interesting. Rand Paul is furious over an ad that alleges inappropriate behavior on his part in college. In the same election cycle I have seen an ad for Colorado's Prop 62 that shows President Obama as the Angel of Death (Josef Mengele?). I've heard Rush Limbaugh reference unflattering photos of the President to compare him to a demonic entity or perhaps the antichrist (666) himself. A billboard in Colorado included the President's image in a host of awful stereotypes. Over the past two years President Obama has been shown as The Joker, Hitler, A Witch Doctor, a terrorist and so much more. The Rand Paul ad seems tame in comparison. I suppose it is much more offensive when it is aimed at you and yours, but wouldn't it be wonderful if that brand of hyperbolic personal attack politics wasn't what yielded results? Nonetheless, I understand why Dr. Paul is offended at what he sees as a challenge to his spiritual beliefs and I trust that the next time someone says that President is anything but a Christian, Dr. Paul will remain true to what he is quoted as saying in this article and be among the first to defend the President from unfounded accusations.

October 21, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  25. T'SAH from Virginia

CONWAY "...defended the spot saying Paul needs to answer questions about his behavior as a college student."

If you THINK that you MAY have a LITTLE chance of running for any political office in the FUTURE – For instance, you are MAJORING in Political Science or LAW – KEEP your DOGGONE nose clean......PERIOD – especially in College!!!

Back in HS (LI,NY), during the RACE RIOT SEASON – I remember – after being convinced by my peers – taking a "List of Demands" to the office that we wanted the school to incorporate!!! The DEMANDS were SIMPLE – Soul Food in the cafeteria; Black History courses; Swahili offered as a language; not standing for the Pledge of Allegiance until there was 'liberty and justice for all." A half-hour later my mom was up there at the school pulling my ear and took me home!!

Nonetheless, we GOT the demands after thoughtful consideration of the school district. The results afterwards – NO ONE ate the soul food (corn bread, greens, yams, etc.) because it wasn’t ‘soulful enough; Black History studies did stick around for a while and still exist as a course; I took Swahili for two years and can only remember "Je una taka chakula" which means "I want some food" and that went away too; as far as the Pledge of Allegiance – after awhile that faded since times did get better and those who ‘demanded’ it finally graduated!!! LMAO!!

My point – I BETTER tell this story BEFORE I consider running – up FRONT – and even though it was SET for the TIMES, some may find it a little radical!! Therefore, the campaign cannot DWELL on it and they will be looking more like the FOOL!!!

This is T'SAH from Virginia and I approve this message even though it's ALMOST telling my age!!!

October 21, 2010 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |