October 21st, 2010

Rand Paul to CNN: "I've never said or written anything un-Christian in my life."

Louisville, KY (CNN) - Kentucky Republican Senate candidate Dr. Rand Paul defended his Christian faith and sharply criticized his Democratic rival, Jack Conway in response to the now infamous "aquabuddha ad." Conway's TV attack ad accuses Paul of once belonging to an organization that mocked Christianity while the GOP contender was a student at Baylor University.

"In my entire live, I've written and said a lot of things. I've never said or written anything un-Christian in my life," Paul said.

In a brief interview with CNN, the Tea Party-backed candidate slammed Conway for running the spot, which claims Paul once forced a woman to kneel before a false idol named "aquabuddha." "I think he ought to be ashamed of himself," Paul said.

At a news conference at the Atlas Machine and Supply outside of Louisville, Paul said the ad would discourage future candidates from running for political office. During the event, Paul signed a pledge to repeal the Estate Tax, dubbed the "death tax" by conservatives. Most of the questions at the press conference were focused on the "aquabuddha" controversy.

Paul told CNN he doubts the voters care about the questions raised in the spot. "I mean people are concerned about the federal takeover of health care. They're concerned about taxes, jobs, the economy," Paul said. "I don't really think they're concerned about or want to talk about one man's accusation of another man's religion," he added.

Conway told CNN yesterday he plans to run more issue-oriented spots in the final days of the campaign and will let the "aquabuddha" ad "run its course." He defended the spot saying Paul needs to answer questions about his behavior as a college student.

Filed under: 2010 • Jack Conway • Kentucky • Rand Paul
  1. stufthis

I forgot to mention that trying to balance the budget off the backs of seniors is un Christlike. Promising to repeal health reform which so many Americans need is un Christ like.

October 21, 2010 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  2. stufthis

The death tax affects those whose assets are over $3.5 million. I wonder what Jesus would say about rendering unto Caesar what is Caesars?

October 21, 2010 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  3. gc

Wow, I think Christ is the only Christian that can make a statement like that. I didn't know that Rand was the only other perfect person to walk the earth.

October 21, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  4. stufthis

Yet the right wingnuts think Coons from Delaware should not be forgiven for an article written when he was young.

October 21, 2010 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  5. Anonymous

For those paying attention- the illiterate statement is a lie. The man wants to do away with every form of entitlement the government offers- this in itself would smack of a lack of Christianity.
    Many minority, elderly and impoverished poeple would suffer by this. I'm not quite sure whuch Chrsit he thinks "christianity" follows but the one in The Bible would give away everything to help others.

October 21, 2010 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  6. Larry

Lies, Lies, and more lies
    Nothing new here
    Just the good old GOP screwing this country
    A Tea Party puppet for hire

October 21, 2010 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  7. rdepontb

What doest his wacko think stopping Social Security or shutting down the Dept of Education means? It means taking away from the poor and those who have contributed all their lives to the good of the entire nation. Close Education? That leaves only rich people able to afford schooling. Social Security? I've worked over 40 years, paying into that system every single week-who are you to speak about takingit away so cavalierly? Are either of these actions reflective in the least of Christian morals and virtue? Not on your life, "Dr." Rand. Indeed.

October 21, 2010 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  8. booradley

Rand we know you by your actions, YOU are a virtuous man with integrity. People are so jaded and disheartened in this political process and I can see your campaign is different. Let them say what they want- you know in your heart who YOU are and those people who SEE can SEE. Keep fighting the good fight and know this is the testing of your faith.

October 21, 2010 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  9. kara

I'm not concerned with the religion, but I'm a little worried about the kidnapping.
    And isn't this the guy that said he wouldn't have voted for the civil rights act because people should be able to discriminate against people of different races in privately owned business? Is that a Christian thing to say? Or does he think God only made white people?

October 21, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  10. Jay T.

Poor Mr. Paul. This is a man who belongs to a political party who would never stoop so low as to question another man's religion.

October 21, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  11. La Piovra

Note that Mr. Paul didn't say he had never done anything unChristian in his life.

October 21, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  12. Gale

Democrats don't have to prove anything. They can tell all the untruths and made up lies they want, and no one seems to ask for proof. They sling mud, but scream bloody murder when someone dares insinuate they might have done something wrong. You can't have it both ways.

October 21, 2010 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  13. The Unsub

yeah right

October 21, 2010 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  14. key

Denying services because of ethnic background is Christian I guess. Medical,prescriptions,power services as long as its private remember that's very Christian like.

October 21, 2010 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  15. Danny

The only person whoever went through life without saying anything un-Christian was Jesus – everyone else whether they are Christians or not have done and said un-Christians things (ps they're called sins!). So, Rand Paul is saying he is Jesus Christ.

October 21, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  16. Dianne

This man seems disturbed AND disturbing. He doesn't seem to be someone stable enough to deal with political and social issues concerning our country.

October 21, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |