October 21st, 2010

Bush on 'What I got right, what I got wrong'

(CNN) – Miss President George W. Bush?

Well he's back!

The former president is out with a YouTube video previewing his upcoming book, "Decision Points," set to be released November 9.

In the three-minute video, Bush says he decided to take an "untraditional approach" to his memoir, forgoing an "exhaustive, chronological account of my life and years in office."

Might that be an off-hand reference to Bill Clinton's 1,008-page tome, "My Life?"

"I wanted to give readers a glimpse of the presidency from my perspective," says Bush. "That meant focusing on the most demanding and important part of the job: making decisions."

Bush goes on to say the first decision he writes about was the pivotal one he made at age 40: to quit drinking. Other decisions he details include deploying American troops to Iraq and signing off on a major bailout of the financial industry in 2008.

"I reflect on what I got right, what I got wrong, and what I'd do differently if I had the chance," Bush also says.

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Jen

The return of George W. Bush, just in time for Halloween. Thank you CNN for scarng the crap out of me.

October 21, 2010 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. Monster Zero

God, I never thought I would say this, come back George America needs you!

October 21, 2010 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  3. The Irony is palpable

Nothing like hindsight, eh?

October 21, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  4. Jeff Clemetson of San Diego

Glad he's including the what he got wrong, otherwise the book would be a pamphlet.

October 21, 2010 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  5. stufthis

He had no regrets two years ago. Lying for war, GITMO, torture, wiretapping, unfunded tax cuts, unfunded drug programs, unfunded wars, driving us to the brink of a great depression, and then throwing billions of his unfunded TARP money to big banks with no restrictions, sleeping at the switch allowing the attacks of 9-11, mission accomplished in Iraq and Afghanistan make him the worst president in history. The baggers should have used their 'second amendment' solutions on him.

October 21, 2010 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. GOP Scorched Earth Politics

He quit drinking at age 40 ok. What about the coke allegations that he always ducked? The only thing he did right was doing a lot of humanitarian work for Africa and keeping a muzzle on the GOP fruit-loops that are always trying to incite race war or demonize ALL Muslims. Other than that he really did not accomplish anything and did more harm than good overall.

October 21, 2010 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  7. John

You didn't do anything right.

October 21, 2010 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  8. Bill

Nice guy and a good husband, perhaps, but a terrible President.

October 21, 2010 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  9. MARKPAIN

I don`t believe for one minute that he will admit responsibility for his major screw ups & stupid decisions but will shift blame to someone else

October 21, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  10. stufthis

You can write a book on what Bushido got wrong, but can fill a page with what he got right.

October 21, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. andy

What you got wrong is the the number of "rights" you counted; it is ZERO Mr President.

October 21, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  12. S. in California Laughing In Anticipation Of How Well Democrats Turnout At The Polls

I'll make this easy even for you Mr. Bush. You got EVERYTHING wrong and NOTHING right.

Thank you and have a nice retirement.

October 21, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  13. Paul Ernest Show

Dear Mr. Bush, How did you tell us " Afterall , here is the man that wanted to kill my dad" and then declare war on Saddam?
    You said this before congress and world media. 4 thousand of our young men and women had died when you left office. Reflecting on this now, I am wondering if the war against Saddam was personal. Am sorry if I offend you but I just can't stop from feeling that way.

October 21, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  14. clwyd

You got nothing right! Admit it!

October 21, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. vic nashville tn

First mistake you pick Dick Cheney for vp that was the biggest mistake

So beginning to end you were wrong

October 21, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  16. Jacob

hopefully the sight of his face will drive EVERYONE to vote Democrat!
    nice mess you got us into Bushy!

October 21, 2010 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  17. S. in California Laughing In Anticipation Of How Well Democrats Turnout At The Polls

I'll add one more thing. You could not have picked a BETTER time to crawl out. American voters (those with selective amnesia) need to be reminded why they voted for our president. Well, here it is. For that, I say thank you. Democrats will win again in November. Thanks George.

October 21, 2010 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  18. Dominican mama 4 Obama

forgoing an "exhaustive, chronological account of my life and years in office."
    --------------------------------------------------
    By all means skip what SHOULD'VE been the crowning result of the MOST IMPORTANT DECISION you made in your life: running and obtaining the Presidency of this country. Yet those 8 years didn't turn out too well for you. Towards the end , as a matter of public record, the greatest country in the free world was brought to it's knees under YOUR leadership.
    I'm not going into those details as we're still in the recovery room as a consequence of YOUR DECISION MAKING CAPABILITIES.........
    W is writing a book about decision making.......write a book about UNINFORMED decision making; or oil-oriented decision making.
    Here's the title to your book: THE FOLLY OF LETTING ME MAKE DECISIONS.
    Is this a joke?

October 21, 2010 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  19. Jeff

I think I just had a flashback. I am going right now to see if my Democratic voting credentials are in order, so I have no
    problems at the polls.

October 21, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. Larry

Would not waste one second watching this bum try to rewrite history
    You got it all wrong George
    You screwed this country, it's people, and you killed hundreds of thousands
    If I never saw your face, or heard your voice again ... it would be too soon

October 21, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. sheppard

Just when we thought we were rid of this clown............

October 21, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. jerseylou

Hmm.....Bush you got nothing right,but then again you did get filthy Rich with the IRAQ WAR ! BTW Don't spend the Blood Money all in one place.

October 21, 2010 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  23. Dave

Should be a great book... hope they put it out on tape so the people who voted for Bush will be able to know what's in it, too. If it's at all honest, though, the book should be about "what I got wrong," with the "what I got right" part relegated to a footnote that says "The Do-Not-Call List for Telemarketers." Because, honestly, that's the only good thing that happened under Bush's tenure. The rest of it was spent watching our economy being poured into a falsified war in Iraq and watching my investments tank for 8 straight years. Obama finally has them on the uptick again, albeit slowly.

As to the question "Miss President Bush?" – about as much as I'd miss a ruptured appendix.

October 21, 2010 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  24. Jason S.

Hopefully what he'd do differently is decide not to run for president.

October 21, 2010 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. cecilia

money money money – dam you republicans are good at making money, saving money, making more money and all for your little bitty selves
    I could write a book on what he got wrong -

October 21, 2010 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |