October 21st, 2010

Bush on 'What I got right, what I got wrong'

(CNN) – Miss President George W. Bush?

Well he's back!

The former president is out with a YouTube video previewing his upcoming book, "Decision Points," set to be released November 9.

In the three-minute video, Bush says he decided to take an "untraditional approach" to his memoir, forgoing an "exhaustive, chronological account of my life and years in office."

Might that be an off-hand reference to Bill Clinton's 1,008-page tome, "My Life?"

"I wanted to give readers a glimpse of the presidency from my perspective," says Bush. "That meant focusing on the most demanding and important part of the job: making decisions."

Bush goes on to say the first decision he writes about was the pivotal one he made at age 40: to quit drinking. Other decisions he details include deploying American troops to Iraq and signing off on a major bailout of the financial industry in 2008.

"I reflect on what I got right, what I got wrong, and what I'd do differently if I had the chance," Bush also says.

Filed under: President Bush
  1. yup yup

What a great man. Its to bad the libs are so full of hate they can't see the stuff he got right.

October 21, 2010 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  2. Texas Doc

I admire his determitude. Only W could have made a black president named Barak Hussein Obama possible.

October 21, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Other decisions he details include deploying American troops to Iraq
    -------------------------------------------------–People's family members died as a consequence of THAT decision. The decision to send us towar against a country that had NOTHING to do with 9-11. You made THAT decision based on your own LIES to us about WMDs. Do the ghosts of those that died unnecessarily in that war haunt you? I certainly hope so.
    You were an inept, idiotic and irresponsible President. I too would skip writing about my years as President if I were you.

October 21, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  4. Right Leaning Independent

President Bush – Here is what you have gotten wrong as of late... You have let this slimy arrogant liberal President denounce and blame you at every turn in his administration!! You made your mistakes but were always man enough not to deflect it to failed policies from Clinton... Kudos for being a real leader but take the gloves off and bloody this whiney liberal's nose once in awhile!!!!

October 21, 2010 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  5. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I think much of what he got wrong is because of ideological background and not understanding it. He should also be aware that he is not a fiscal conservative. He wouldn't have done Medicare part D as it was - not paid for at all. There is so much more that I could mention, but I'll stop here.

October 21, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  6. phoenix86

I really miss Bush, more with each passing day of the inept Obama administration.

October 21, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  7. The Unsub

i think he was drunk all 8 years!

October 21, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. NothingNew

How is he going to fill an entire sentence with "what I got right"?

October 21, 2010 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  9. phoenix86

Two years from now, Obama will do one called: "What I got right and what you got wrong".

October 21, 2010 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  10. Cynthia

"Miss President"? *SNORT!*

Might consider putting a "Do you" in front of that statement. Sounds like people are being asked to vote on drag queen contest participants. Wow, him & Cheney on the letcure circuit in Gaultier and Jimmy Choos....

October 21, 2010 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  11. Bob

I want my three minutes back. Bad dreams tonight, for sure.

October 21, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  12. Mark L.

As far as I am concerned, President George W. Bush will go down in history as one of THE WORST Presidents of ALL-TIME, next to former President Herbert Hoover. For ALL the Complete MORONS out there that really think the Grand Ol' Plunderers (GOP) are going to fix the economy, put people back to work, control deficit spending, etc., you had better WAKE UP to the reality of it all. It took TWO Grand Ol' Plunderer (GOP) former Presidents to bring our country into the worst economic turmoil in our nation's history (Great Depression 1929 / Great Recession 2008) and TWO Democratic Presidents to pull us out !! Four-term elected President Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933 – 1945) and HOPEFULLY it will be Two-Term President Barack H. Obama (2009 – Present) to bring us back to economic prosperity !!

And for crying out loud people, do you really believe the Re'crook'licans when they try to brainwash you with all that false propaganda surrounding the Democratic Socialist values?? If you do, then may I suggest for all those NOT in favor of a Socialist agenda, may YOU ALL be stripped of you Social Security and MediCare entitlement benefits once you retire !! Because guess what MORONS?? Social Security and MediCare are BOTH Socialist entitlement programs, and I'll be damned if I don't receive my Social Security Benefits after years of paying into the system !!

October 21, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  13. Randy

He should just keep the to what he got right when he won't have to have someone right it for him.

October 21, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  14. jeff, alabama

Good to see a good leader
    back in the CNN lime light
    again. It's especially nice
    knowing how much CNN
    hates him. He did unprecedented
    things after unprecedented
    events and got nothing but
    grief from the media. A media
    who was all in when we invaded
    Irag. A media who was all in
    when we killed terrorists. A
    media that caved and turned on
    our President along with numerous
    weak willed Americans, just as
    our enemies said they would.
    He kept us all safe for seven
    years and Obama has kept much of
    Bush's policies in place today.
    History will show Bush to have
    been a much better President
    than the Michael Moores of the
    world will admit.

October 21, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  15. Me

This is how I will always remember G. W. Bush
    -He was elected, he was selected by the SCOTUS that's stacked with conservative judges by his daddy
    -Famously stupid; Before 9-11 there was a show inspired by Bush's obvious stupidity called "That's My Bush"
    -He allowed 9-11 to happen. He received several warnings about an impending attack from Osam Bin Laden and did nothing.
    -He is told the war is in Afghanistan, he wants to go to war in Iraq and he retaliates against a CIA operative by outing her to the press
    -He sends the country to war with the wrong country! (IRAQ) Thousands of soldiers and civillians die! AND OSAMA BIN LADEN IS STILL FREE!!!
    -His administration writes and signs THE PATRIOT ACT which was nothing more than a mad grab at our rights and a shredding of our Constitution!
    -From day one of his presidency the surplus shrinks and the deficit grows and the economy is getting worse year over year
    -Gas goes up to almost 5.00/gallon.
    -Gas and milk are almost the same price at this time
    -There's food shortage because we decided to make gas outta corn
    -The housing crisis
    -The credit crunch
    -WE ARE IN DEBT TO FREAKING CHINA
    -The bank bailouts
    And during this entire time he is alienating our allies and tarnishing our national reputation and standing in the world
    -Don't forget his crappy response to Katrina.

There is more but i don't think I have enough space

October 21, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  16. PalmReader

No, CNN, I do not miss George W. Bush.

October 21, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  17. PaDoc

Darn! I almost forgot about the sort of nausea his visage brought over me.

October 21, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  18. red state

God I miss him. Never ever bad mouthed this country and hated because he protected us. Unlike that little yellow coward that we have in there now.

October 21, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  19. Augsbee

At least Bush didn't have us owing millions of dollars to China and risking the U.S. into bankruptcy with China just so to please all those Americans living off our government because they think our government and the rest of us owe it to them and they think they have a right to it and therefore they don't even bother to work. When Bush was President people were able to find jobs, buy cars, pay their mortgages, sent kids to college, go on vacation. Now, government is getting bigger and people are not finding jobs and life is on hold and millions are being spend daily in something but not jobs.

October 21, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  20. Kraznodar

While I intensely dislike this man's presidency and the illegal war he started in Iraq, he did do many very good things while in office. I still would pay a lot to see him savaged by an angry badger though.

October 21, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  21. MikeMaz

Perhaps he doesnt have nearly as interesting a life as Clinton to fill that many pages lol

But seriously what i find interesting is that so many Republicans and conservatives ( voters especially) talk about how they hate the bailout of financial instituitions when it was in fact Bush who started that. People have short memories and funny how they blame Obama for that. And before anyone gets on my case.. im one of the Dems who think it was a totally necessary thing to do.. or else the collapse would have been way worse.

October 21, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  22. Liam

You bet I miss him. He did good things and messed up plenty but he will admit his mistakes. He was not a great President but he was a heck of lot better than Obama to date.

October 21, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  23. Coopm

I'm thinking when most American's also reflect on what they got right and what they got wrong, the first item in the wrong column is "elected George "Dubya" Bush. Regardless of what conservatives, Republiklans and tea-baggers think of anything else political, the undeniable truth is that Dubya will go in the books as being the worst President to ever occupy the Oval Office.

October 21, 2010 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  24. ehwilson429

Bush needs to be DEPORTED to the Yale campus where he was born.
    That would be deportation because Yale is co-haed of anti-American
    policies and PC America haters.

Move Yale to Saudi Arabia or Lebanon.

October 21, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  25. Brian, NJ

You got the bailout right, since we'll make money on it. But your bad policies led to the bailout in the first place. The Iraq War, well that's a no brainer, should have stuck with Afghanistan

October 21, 2010 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |