October 22nd, 2010

Paul will debate in Kentucky, drops boycott threat

(CNN) – Kentucky Senate candidate Rand Paul will debate his opponent, Democrat Jack Conway, next Monday night after all.

"While I do not respect Mr. Conway's inappropriate attacks, I do respect the voters of this state and therefore will participate in Monday's final debate," Paul said.

"Kentuckians deserve another opportunity to understand the very real differences between Jack and myself. With ten days to go, I wish the campaign were about who has the best vision for Kentucky and America," Paul said.

Paul threatened to pull out of the debate earlier his week because he was angry over the now-infamous 'aquabuddha' ad Conway released last week. The ad accuses Paul of belonging to a secret organization while he was a student at Baylor University that once forced a woman to kneel before a false idol named "aquabuddha."

In the ad, a narrator also asks, "Why was Rand Paul a member of a secret society that called the Holy Bible 'a hoax,' that was banned for mocking Christianity and Christ?"

Paul has sharply condemned the spot, telling CNN "I've never said or written anything un-Christian in my life."

At a press conference on Monday, Paul also chided Conway for the personal attack, saying the ad would discourage future candidates from running for political office.

Conway has defended the ad, telling CNN "I think [Paul] has to answer the questions." Though Conway added that he plans to let the 'aquabuddha' spot "run its course," and release more issues-oriented ads in the final days until the election.

–CNN Correspondent Jim Acosta contributed to this report

Filed under: 2010 • Jack Conway • Kentucky • Rand Paul
  1. Honesty is refreshing....!

Rand Paul stay the course and be true to yourself and the Voters of Kentucky...Serve the people.....!!!!!

October 22, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. Voter

Rand Paquabuddha is a wimp.

October 22, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  3. Texas Doc

Rand Paul could easily sidestep all of this by saying "Dude, I was really high when I did all of that." It couldn't hurt. His GOP/Tea Party colleagues have had to deny being witches and having to admit that they play Nazi on the weekends.

October 22, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  4. Vote Conway to move Kentucky forward!

Rand Paul needs to come clean about his "Aqua Buddha" days. Paul holds exetreme views that would set Kentucky backwards.

October 22, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. ronalde

people in kentucky,the democrats need to show and vote,rand paul is not a good fit for the senate.

October 22, 2010 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  6. stufthis

Do you baggers know that there are big corporations like BofA, Citi, and GE who paid no taxes last year? Think about that when you wonder if tax cuts for corporations really helps those who pay no taxes.

October 22, 2010 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  7. vic nashville tn

Rand Paul shame threat to boycott debate

October 22, 2010 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  8. Steve (the real one)

This is the right decison for the voters!

October 22, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  9. Peter

So much hot air about liberal extremism but what about the right's? Rand, Angle, Palin, O'Donnell, Buck, et al. are way out there and who's calling their bluff?

October 22, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  10. AZ Dem

Def not a fan of Rand Paul but I think that this political environment is so dispicable on BOTH sides. No one runs on the ISSUES anymore and frankly that is what we need to be hearing about. Our country has SOOO many problems that need to be handled between Congress and our President and I'm afraid we are going to be sending so many people to Washington who won our vote "in the moment" but will show up and produce NO REAL PROGRESS

October 22, 2010 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. D. Bunker

I doubt another debate could help an extremist like Rand, who wants to return America to the 50s. The 1850s, that is. He needs to be held accountable for his views far outside the mainstream, like eliminating civil rights laws and pollution laws and social security. The man is dangerously anti-American, and it's up to Conway to make that point very clear to the sane and rational voters in Kentucky. Rand Paul is simply unfit to govern. He needs to man up, stop hiding behind his wife's skirts and embrace his extremism, instead of pretending it doesn't exist (despite his words proving the contrary). Then the voters will have a real choice. Electing Paul would be like leaving an infant alone in a room with a handgun.

October 22, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  12. Larry

Rand Paul is a scary nutjob. My condolences to the sane people of Kentucky if he wins. And if "The White Annoying Teabagger" does win my advice would be to get the heck out of there as fast as possible. (Especially if your Black, Jewish or Hispanic)

October 22, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  13. Ky voter

Rand Paul is a hypocrite. He wants to cut Medicare and then turns around and fails to report how much he made off Medicare. He's a punk that think the laws and rules don't apply to him.

October 22, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  14. Trixie n' Dixie

Rand Paul is a drama queen.

October 22, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. S. in California Laughing In Anticipation Of How Well Democrats Turnout At The Polls

Personally, I don't like EITHER one of these hoodlums.

October 22, 2010 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  16. Dean

Kentucky,

I know you're a backward state, but is this the best you can do?

October 22, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  17. stufthis

Rand feels that saying bad things about Rand will discourage other Kentuckians from running for office. When billionaires and foreign governments can donate millions to Rove and the Am. Chamber of congress to run distortions, lies, and personal attacks on democratic candidates and President Obama 24/7, I can only say, "Get behind your wife's skirt, you little wimp."

October 22, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  18. T'SAH from Virginia

Did Rand have a NIGHTMARE one night and fought with himself in his sleep........."Oh NO – I can't boycott – I am running for OFFICE!!!? What would my voters think??? They will think that I am a QUITTER (like Palin) and maybe DON'T vote for me.... AHH, please – Someone PINCH me and wake me up to REALITY!!!!!!"""

And BEHOLD – in a FLASH – it’s "Aqua-BUDDHA to the RESCUE!!!!" LMAO

Rand – if you can QUIT that easily, the people in KY do not need you in the WH!!!!

VOTERS in KY – VOTE DEMOCRAT!!!!!!

This is T'SAH from Virginia and I approve this message!!!

October 22, 2010 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  19. Lynda/Minnesota

Rand Paul has lost my interest. As have the newest batch of FOX viewers here on the Ticker. Good luck to each of you. You are all going to need it, come Jan 3.

October 22, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  20. gt

slease bag conway needs to crawl under the rock where he and his slease ball comercials came from...no one likes gutter slut commericals ,,, even democrats...

October 22, 2010 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  21. Jim

I hope the Republicans sweep up in November, so that the economy can return to it's "Glorious" pre-Obama days. That way, when unemployment reaches 20% and the public voice no longer matters, then we can look back and say "You know, Obama's fixes weren't so bad. They just needed time." I am sick of the Republicans promising things they can't deliver. Step out of the way if you aren't prepared to help solve the problem. And that goes for both sides of the aisle.

October 22, 2010 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  22. Republicans is smart in the head area

"I've never said or written anything un-Christian in my life." Except maybe that comment about how black people really shouldn't be allowed at the lunch counter. Is that the new definition of Christian? Seems more like Westboro Baptist to me.

October 22, 2010 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  23. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Is Paul really going to be where the majority of Kentucky voters? I don't think that many are really so far to the Libertarian right that they want to reduce the federal government to the military and law enforcement. That would be a critical mistake and leave those that are vulnerable subject to the massive corporations that would steal or destroy everything.

October 22, 2010 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. Name

Nut job, tea bagger, extremist wow you liberals are a bunch of name calling uninformed fools. So you want a pro war pro tax bush tax cut wolf in sheep clothing like Conway over a libertarian like Paul who opposed the Iraq war, wants to audit the federal reserve and questions the wisdom of the war on drugs?

October 22, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. Roy

Great article, I love stopping by this site for my political news. I agree with most of the other comments, I think that the others would be interested in learning about Meg Whitman. Keep up the great articles and feedback!

October 22, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |