October 22nd, 2010

Scott gets endorsement of former rival

(CNN) – Rick Scott, Florida's Republican nominee for governor, received the endorsement of his former rival Friday.

Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum endorsed Scott after a divisive Republican battle that pitted the two against each other earlier this year.

"Our state needs conservative leaders who will grow our economy and create jobs," McCollum said in a statement. "With this in mind, I will cast my vote for Rick Scott for Governor. It's the better choice for Florida."

McCollum had previously declined to endorse the GOP nominee.

"I see lots of problems with him, personally, right now. It would be very difficult for me," McCollum said in August.

Most of the Republican establishment backed McCollum during the primary, but party leaders have since come out in support of Scott.

Scott will face Democrat Alex Sink in the November election to succeed independent Gov. Charlie Crist who is now running for Senate.

Filed under: 2010 • Alex Sink • Bill McCollum • Florida • Rick Scott
  1. CNN watcher

That photograph above is scary.

October 22, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  2. Ed Fl

Mccollum will suck up to anyone who has the potential to give him another JOB. He cost Orlando the Veterans hospital twice and let the Naval traing center be closed after all the money to build a great facility only to be shut down and move Recruits from new barracks in orlando to hotels and motels and portable toilets in the Great lakes area. What a brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 22, 2010 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  3. Hugo

Rick Scott knows what has to be done and he is going to do it!
    Rubio and Scott all the way, now if we can just get rid of Corrine Brown!

October 22, 2010 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  4. Republicans is smart in the head area

"After receiving a healthy financial kick back from the Scott campaign and being threatened by National Republican leadership that they would not support me in my next campaign for whatever I've decided to run with that keeps me from having to actually work, I decided the guy that I spent the last 6 months trashing over and over again is in fact a fantastic guy, a great dancer and will make a wonderful Governor"

This is why Democracy is dying.

October 22, 2010 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  5. Jim

Why anyone in Florida would vote for someone who has been caught stealing from Medicare is beyond me.

October 22, 2010 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  6. works for me

Weakling... you're done McCum...Whoever supports Megamind is surely going to fail. This guy is a blatant crook!

October 22, 2010 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  7. they call me "tater salad"

That's funny...........Websters dictionary has the same picture of this guy right next to corrupt corporate sleaze-bag!........No surprise there.

October 22, 2010 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  8. George of the jungle

What florida needs is a good ol democrat that cares about people and health care. Who won't lie to they ol grannies or scare them will the killing grandma line. The party of no will not do anything to help the middle class vote all repos out in November. Wake up

October 22, 2010 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  9. Marge

This guy looks like one of the creepy undertakers in some of the horror films. If he wins Florida deserves him. Geeeeeee

October 22, 2010 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  10. FedUpRepublican

Nothing like a state attorney general endorsing a candidate whose company defrauded U.S. taxpayers out of many millions of dollars. How can anybody trust Scott to run Florida when he was clearly negligent in running his own company? I’m surprised Bernie Madoff isn’t on the same ticket running for lieutenant governor. As for McCollum – I wonder just how much a soul goes for these days. This is further proof that honor, character and integrity mean absolutely nothing if you’re a politician.

October 22, 2010 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  11. stufthis

McCollum is clueless. That is why the little criminal Scott beat him in the primary.

October 22, 2010 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  12. GOP Scorched Earth Politics

Rick Scott is the most corrupt, fraudulent person ever to run for office. You have to be kidding me Florida if you think this tool has the integrity to be a leader.

October 22, 2010 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  13. barry

This should seal the deal for Scott. Sink is sunk!

October 22, 2010 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  14. BOBBY

This election season has been a mess. Florida election laws need to more stronger. Bill has made the wrong choice for Florida.

October 22, 2010 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  15. Moosehead

Scott was the head of Columbia Health, they defrauded the Government and tax payers of billions of dollars,.. and now he wants more. Do Floridians really want this guy in Washington?

October 22, 2010 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  16. cjking

I would never vote for either one, so it really doesn't matter

October 23, 2010 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  17. curtther

I smell a payoff

October 23, 2010 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  18. Dave

Bill McCollum has been a very poor AG in Florida and just needs to go away. He is worthless!

October 23, 2010 05:09 am at 5:09 am |
  19. Nancy G

No thanks Bill, I'm voting for Alex Sink.

October 23, 2010 06:49 am at 6:49 am |
  20. FL for Sink

Well, "birds of a feather!" Scott is always campaigning against "Tallahassee insiders" and now he's being endoresed by one of the most notorious! Just goes to show that Florida will truly be Flori-DUH if Scott is elected. This Republican is voting for the HONEST candidate, Mrs. Alex Sink, as our first female Governor of Florida!

October 23, 2010 08:32 am at 8:32 am |