Pelosi, Obama again blast third-party spending
October 23rd, 2010

Pelosi, Obama again blast third-party spending

(CNN) – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi used her introduction of President Barack Obama at a Democratic fundraiser Saturday evening to once again blast third-party groups that are spending heavily on Republican campaigns this election cycle.

"Everything was going great and all of a sudden secret money from God knows where - because they won't disclose it - is pouring in,” Pelosi told a crowd of about 100 people gathered for a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) fundraiser at the historic Van Dusen Mansion in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Democrats have sought to make shadowy spending by outside groups a major campaign issue, blaming special interest organizations for heavily influencing congressional races without having to divulge their donor lists. Many of these groups, such as the conservative Crossroads GPS, are not required to disclose their donors because they are registered as nonprofit organizations.

In his remarks, Obama also blasted the massive spending by outside groups, saying Republicans are “being driven by the special interests who have been paying for their campaigns over the course of the last several months.”

Groups such as Crossroads GPS have invested heavily in several key races in the GOP’s effort to regain control of Congress this November. Republicans need to pick up 39 seats in order to win back the majority in the House.

Pelosi nonetheless has repeatedly said she remains optimistic, insisting in her remarks Saturday that Democrats “fully intend" to retain control of the House.

Democrats said they expected to raise $600,000 from the event. For $50,000 per couple, VIP guests were treated to a reception, dinner and a presidential photo line.

Filed under: 2010 • Nancy Pelosi • President Obama
  1. catfishjoe

If we only knew who gave the money, we could punish then.

October 24, 2010 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  2. Jerry

These two habitual liars have no shame. It's too bad that they can't both be voted out during the midterm elections. Along with Harry Reed and others, they have our country on the verge of ruin and they continue to lie their way through this election. And most surprising, some Americans are so gullible that they believe their lies!

Voters, only we can start cleaning up the mess that they have created.

YES, I am a life-long Democrat!

God help America!

October 24, 2010 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  3. gcole

The problem I have with money coming from the supreme courts ‘corporate personhood’ decision is that it may be MY MONEY. I want the right to sell my stock or not support a business through my spending that goes against what I believe in. At least in a union, you can get involved, vote or choose a different job if you don’t want your dues supporting their agenda.

October 24, 2010 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  4. PalmReader

The difference between SEIU and U.S. Chamber of Commerce donating to PACs is that while one group (SEIU) is working towards PROTECTING American held jobs in AMERICA, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is protecting corporations who are out sourcing jobs to foreign countries. German Irishman, get your facts straight and research who is donating to Democratic PACs. It's online for all to see. Rove's Crossroads and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, on the other hand, won't release their donor lists. This is why the GOPers voted against the Disclose Act. They prefere keeping it all secret and hush hush. As of today, Michael Steele doesn't seem to think this is a problem. I do. My family members do. My friends do. In fact, I'll wage a bet MOST Americans do as well.

October 24, 2010 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  5. Independent Joe

I am losing my political religion.It's to bad Pelosi and Obama are the faces of the democrat party. I believe in my country but I no longer believe in my leaders.

October 24, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  6. kat

I really don't think it matters so much where the money comes from. We all know the Unions and the likes of Soros gives heavily to the Dems, afterall, it's pay back for their perks, but I am even more concerned with voter fraud. It's really frightening to see how corrupt our own government has become. Sad... really Sad.

October 24, 2010 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  7. willard bullock

Kick out of obama nancy reid

October 24, 2010 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |