October 23rd, 2010

Sarah Palin says Americans are afraid of Obama's economic policies

Orlando, Florida (CNN) – As Sarah Palin urged about 2,000 Republican activists Saturday to keep working until the last minute to help guarantee GOP successes, she went after some recent comments by President Obama in which he said Americans are scared and frustrated and may not be thinking straight about the midterm elections. He has suggested Republicans were playing on that fear.

"Well, ya know Mr. President, you got it right on one point there, we are afraid - knowing that your economic policies are driving us off a cliff and your fundamental transformation of America is a nightmare. This is not the America that the rest of the people want, this is not the America that patriots fought and died for and still dying for today," she told the crowd.

She urged those in the audience to "exhaust ourselves" in the last 10 days leading up to the midterm elections to help get the vote out and to make sure no one is complacent.

"We can't think it is in the bag," she said. "We have to leave the dancing to the stars," a light-hearted reference to her daughter's participation in the ABC reality show.

"There are no second chances in elections" she warned the audience. "Ten days from now if we make this the biggest effort... the biggest Republican victory... we are going to take it back for we the people."

"Victory in 2010 is just the beginning," she said. She added Republican National Committee (RNC) chairman Michael Steele and his team would lead Republicans to "victory in 2012" but did not give any hints about whether she would be one of those running for the party's presidential nomination.

Marco Rubio, the Republican Senate nominee, appeared at the event Saturday, speaking near the beginning of the rally. He left the stage before Palin came on to speak. In her remarks she complimented him and other candidates, including Rick Scott, who is running for governor. Scott was not at the event.

Last week when Palin spoke at an RNC rally in California, neither Senate nominee Carly Fiorina nor gubernatorial nominee Meg Whitman attended that event, citing other commitments.

During Saturday's speech the crowd roared with applause when Palin went after the Obama administration's stimulus program, which she said included money aimed at studying whether alcohol impacted a mouse's motor skills.

"I didn't know Mickey had a drinking problem," she said to much laughter.

Both Palin and RNC Chairman Steele mentioned Democratic Rep. Alan Grayson, whose district includes the area where the event was held. Some Republicans and Tea Party activists believe Grayson conspired to build support for Tea Party activist Peg Dunmire on the ballot to draw votes from Republican candidate Daniel Webster.

"I hear there is some stuff going on down here" regarding Grayson, Steele said. "I am here to make it very clear... stop your perpetrating."

"Mr. Grayson you are no friend of the Tea Party," he added. "We are not playing that game. We are not fools."

"May that one-term wonder be retired," Palin said.

Filed under: 2010 • Florida • issues • Michael Steele • Sarah Palin
  1. dtbart

Republicans/conservatives like Palin love to speak in absolute terms when there is no facts to support their claims nor any real data to refute them either. And the sheep said "baa-baa-baa" as they were herded to the voting pen.

October 23, 2010 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  2. Bill C

The profound hypocrisy of the right is astounding. I say this as a conservative trying to figure out a way to resurrect Ronald Reagan, and William F. Buckley-individuals with CORES, brains, and CLASS. I remember Glenn Beck when he had a pony tail and was pro abortion. and now that swastika waving carnival barker is an OPINION LEADER? Of what?!! Sarah Palin keeps invoking Obama's middle name as if that's going to inspire Americans to scratch their heads and wonder why they voted for him. She hung in as Gov. for 10 minutes, and is all 'judgmentally' now. Miller is anti-unemployment benefits, ;and his wife collects unemployment after HE laid her off. We need classy, smart conservative Republicans. It's a shame

October 23, 2010 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  3. Dee

Americans are not afraid of the President's economics policy they are just wanting jobs. Sarah Palin has no solutions all she is doing is going around bashing Reid, Pelosi and Pres. Obama. This is the rhetoric coming from her mouth everytime she speaks.

Everyone can't wait to get to Washington and take back the country forgetting that they will be freshmen and have very little power and will be learning on the job. I wouldn't count the Democrats out because there are a miilion of us out there that still can't find work but we want the President to stay the course change does not happen over night. The GOP is still the party of NO and we would not be in this mess if it was not for them. Sarah Palin needs to stick to that message and she would be doing this country a favor.

We will go to the polls and vote and show who has common sense don't write us off and the "99er's are coming out in full force for the Democrats who will help us, the Middle Class, Seniors and disadvantaged and not the rich during these difficult times.

October 23, 2010 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  4. Just_Me

No Sarah, what we're scared of is you holding any public office. Can't this woman just go away already???

October 23, 2010 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  5. ORLANDO R.

Im actually more afraid of the GOP economic policies. Sarah Palin is a joke and knows nothing. She doesnt care for this country except for her wealthy rich oil friends "drill baby drill" loser

October 23, 2010 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  6. A disgusted former Republican

Why does anyone listen to Trailer Park Sarah? She nothing but a gold-digger and quitter. She is always telling men to "man up"; perhaps, she should woman up!

October 23, 2010 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  7. darren hankins

this women has done more to divide this country politically than many before her.She never ever gave the man a chance, it was her conservative the screwed the US so badly for the last two term president.She need to go and take care of her children.

October 23, 2010 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  8. Oregon

If you and your fellow knuckle draggers hadn't gotten us into this mess in the first place – financial deregs, Iraq fiasco – we wouldn't have to replenish what you took from us in the first place. By the way – how's that grandma thing goin' for ya? Can you see the Welfare office from your house?

October 23, 2010 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  9. John

Palin is such an idiot!! If anyone out ther believes in what shr says, they deserve the kind of government they are apt to get. The rest of us will just have to suffer.

October 23, 2010 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  10. michaelam

Sarah, you speak for such a small amount of our populace. President Obama's economic policies saved this great country from a second Great Depression. I shudder to think how you and McInsane would have handled matters. Actually, I thank God the two of you never had the chance.

Take care of your kids, Mrs. Pailin....They need you more than we do!

October 23, 2010 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  11. Just_Me

"... we are going to take it back for we the people."

Oh give me a break. That's BS and she knows it. They're not doing this for the people they're doing it for the Republican party and they could give a you know what about the people (unless of course their ultra, ulta-wealthy, which most of us are not).

October 23, 2010 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  12. mtrought

I think America is more afraid of you and your fiend Odonnell. How's the bank account now with all these uninformed speaking engagements. You must be glad you abandoned Alaska for all this GLORY. Never commit to anything except the money, eh.

October 23, 2010 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  13. Robert H

I LOVE how Palin tries to tell us Americans how we think. She is not a true American and I hope very few of US actually take her seriously. Case in point. She asked how that "Hopey Changey thing is working for ya". Who does she mean by "Ya"? She must mean Americans, and that statement shows how anti-American she is. She is a pathetic excuse for a human being. She delights in the fact that the economy hasn't rebounded instantly after 8 years of Bush's and the Republicans' crap. The Republicans in the senate tried their best to keep anything useful from being done and she is their voice. This message comes from an Independent.

October 23, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  14. Mark

I'm frighten by the number of morons that still listen to Palin. Has this nation become so angry and confused that they have stopped thinking?

October 23, 2010 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  15. True American

the quitter Palin has no ideas and is a traitor to America by wanting to put back into power the Republicans whose failed policies put us into the recession.

October 23, 2010 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  16. hopeismyname

It appeared to be more of a commercial for her reality series than an real attempt at politics -

October 23, 2010 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  17. Arglebargle

Oh, puhlease. Palin's never had an original thought in her life. She's parroting what some handler is feeding her. She even thinks she can see Russia from her front porch. Stupid woman couldn't even stick out her last office because she's too stupid. And people actually listen to her??? How desperate they must be!

October 23, 2010 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  18. xsited1

Of course America is afraid of Obama's economic policies. They don't work! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

October 23, 2010 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  19. lakerman

If she wasn't so dangerous, Palin would be laughable. She is following the tired old playbook of a tired old Republican party that uses lies and false fear instead of working for real solutions that will help the American public. Stop lying, stop wasting our time and go back to Alaska where you quit your job because you were causing more harm than good and were probably close to indictment for fraud. You are a joke that is worn. out and that w cannot afford

October 23, 2010 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  20. Squigman

Ive lived here all my life. I'm a citizen of the United States. I'm well over 21, and have stood on my own two feet for many years. My accomplishments, while modest to some, have been sufficient to afford me agood life, and a deep appreciation for my community and my country. I've seen and done many things, all are engrained in my memory and most of them are good. I set here trying to remember the time when I appointed this cretin to speak for me, and for the life of me I just can not place it in my memory. As an American, I resent the implications that I need a keeper, or someone to speak for me, on my behalf, concerning the state of our economy or my ability to function within said economy. I'd be appreciative if this person would shut up, and go into hiding. I'm sick of hearing, and seeing this bigot, know it all, and I'm sure there are others like me. GO AWAY. And STAY AWAY. I think (We The People) would be better off without your input.

October 23, 2010 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  21. ck

Why McCain? Why did you have to bring her to us? She scares me because she won't stop...

October 23, 2010 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  22. Sarah

Memo to Sarah,

As an American I am not scared of Obama's policy as I am of you and your tea party moment which is the reason I will be going to poll in Nov and vote Dem.

October 23, 2010 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  23. Vat

Republicans will even out source white house jobs to India

October 23, 2010 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  24. Rustyshunt

People fear Obama?
    She is the Darth Vader of Politics
    Rusty

October 23, 2010 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  25. Liz the First

Not all Americans, Sarah, just the dumb ones, you know, like the republican base. the Americans who can actually think and understand things understand that Obama's policies are what brought this country back from the brink of total collapse over the objections of the people, that would be the republicans, who drove it to the brink. Peddling fear will only work on a certain segment of the population and lying won't solve our problems.

October 23, 2010 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |