October 25th, 2010

Christine O'Donnell says her influences include God and Gloria Steinem

(CNN) - In a recent interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network, Christine O'Donnell listed both God and Gloria Steinem as sources of inspiration and influence when times get tough on the campaign trail.

The interview was conducted by CBN's The Brody File on Friday at Wesley College in Dover, Delaware and is posted on CBN's website.

O'Donnell cited a double standard she believes is being applied to women, specifically conservative women who choose to run for office. "I don't feel it because I don't watch the news. (Laughs) No. I do feel it. There's certainly a double standard and I don't often quote Gloria Steinem but she said you can look at a double standard if they wouldn't attack the male opponent that way and there's no doubt that they wouldn't say the things they're saying about me, they wouldn't do the things that they're doing if I weren't a woman. I'm not whining but there certainly is a double standard especially when it comes to conservative woman."

O'Donnell then delved into faith stating, "God is the reason that I'm running. If I didn't believe that there were a cause greater than myself worth fighting for, if I didn't believe that it takes a complete dying of self to make things right in this election cycle I would not be running and when you die to yourself you rely on a power greater than yourself so prayer is what's gotten us all through."

She continued that her success in politics can be directly tied to prayer: "The day that we saw a spike in the polls was a day that some people had a prayer meeting for me that morning for this campaign so I believe that prayer plays a direct role in this campaign and I always ask please pray for the campaign; please pray for our staff; please pray specifically that the eyes of the voters be opened."

Christine O'Donnell will square off November 2nd against Democrat Chris Coons in one of the most talked about Senate races in the country.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. My Comment

Only if you pray on a satanic alter covered in blood I guess.
    This woman is as dumb as Sarah Palin.

October 25, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  2. Katie

Yeah, my prayers affect her polls all right. I pray every day that she doesn't get elected to office. This woman has no place in politics.

October 25, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  3. LouAz

Sounds like whining to me !

October 25, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  4. Jacob

is somebody going to tell her it has nothing to do with being a woman? and it has EVERYTHING to do with her stupidity? Gloria Steinem would be the first to tell her!

October 25, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  5. T'SAH from Virginia

FIRST RULE: Stop 'kidding'!! Whatever you say first is the TRUTH and your truth is a LIE!! You say you don't FEEL the double standard because you don't WATCH IT!!! That's the LIE you are trying to make like it's the TRUTH!!! You DO watch it because that is how you know there is a 'SO-CALL" double standard!!!!

SECOND RULE: There is NO "double standard" – Look at your counterpart Haley – she's NOT in the news NEGATIVELY (at first she was but she SHOOK THAT OFF) and she is doing quite well!!!!! So Explain that??

"The day that we saw a spike in the polls was a day that some people had a prayer meeting for me that morning for this campaign..." Oh Lord, O'Donnell, what happened??? They stopped PRAYING???? Come on NOW!! If that is the case and you are not worth praying for to WIN an ELECTION – then maybe you should request prayers for something else and hopefully you will get an answer!!!

I am a woman and I would PRAY HEAVILY for another woman to WIN if she was experienced enough and the right candidate.............PERIOD!!!!! A woman that is SERIOUS enough and QUALIFIES, she is not going to worry about if there is a DOUBLE STANDARD or not. If a MAN had as many gaffs as you had during the debates and live on TV – he would be BASHED even more than you. Coons actually tiptoed on eggs to prevent from HURTING YOUR FEELINGS and I think he did a good ‘delicate’ job. LIFE IS NOT DELICATE!!! YOU and PALIN are batting 0 in my score book!!!

DEMOCRATS – Don't fall for the WEEPING and get out and vote for Coons on November 2, 2010!!!

This is T'SAH from Virginia and I approve this message!!

October 25, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  6. Clwyd

I can't see anything inspiring this bimbo from the right! She and sarah are clones!

October 25, 2010 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  7. Rev. J.

Why doesn't she become a minister if she feels God is so important?

October 25, 2010 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  8. Dave

I don't see a double standard here at all. O'Donnell would still be a an drooling idiot and a nutjob if she were a man. If anything, candidates like O'Donnell, Palin, Bachmann, Angle, and McMahon are an insult to intelligent and educated woman regardless of their political leanings.

October 25, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  9. Say No to O'Dumbell

O'Donnell is the definition of incompetence.

October 25, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  10. rdepontb

Ms O'Donnell,
    Your antics, lack of preparedness, lack of insights and lack of common sense obviously include your take on Faith. You should be ashamed of yourself for setting up Faith as the eventual reason you lost. You should be ashamed to invoke Faitha s the reason you have run all these times, and I guess as the reason for your money, mortgage, education, and foot-in-mouth problems over the years.
    There are literally millions of people of great Faith who question your motives as anything but spiritual. At the least, it appears you expect a book deal or perhaps a radio talk show-good luck on either of those pursuits. As for public office where our national character will be at stake, please reconsider what the message of Faith is actually telling you-

October 25, 2010 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  11. fred

I also believe that prayer has influence over her polls. Everyone prays she does NOT win

October 25, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  12. nygirl

She is SO insane.

October 25, 2010 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  13. boocat

This chick is dumber than a spatula. God is the reason she's running??? Get real.

October 25, 2010 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  14. GL

She is a clown and needs to just shut the hell up. She is too stupid for her own good. Sara Palin baby sister needs to go and laid it down. She is not going to win so she needs to just get over it.

October 25, 2010 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  15. Shucks

With a little witchcraft thrown into the mix, she should be just fine. I thought that this type of person is what Pat Robertson said lived in Haiti and that is why they had their horrific earthquake disaster. Most Haitians are "christians" with a little witchcraft thrown in. Where is Pat Robertson when you need him? LOL

October 25, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  16. ramtruck2500

Oh my god! and I do mean small g. What a nut case! Ah yes and surprise to none a total teabagger.

October 25, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  17. FRANK - LAS VEGAS

I have mixed feelings about this story. First let me say that I think she will say anything to get votes, so now she has a direct appeal to the CBN audience. Touting that she's a true christian etc, which of course she very well might be, it just comes across as insincere. Then she goes on asking for different prayers which brings me to my second point. She said, "please pray specifically that the eyes of the voters be opened." Could it be that this particular prayer has indeed worked? This would certainly explain why she is 20+ points Down in the polls! The lord indeed works in mysterious ways.

Vote NO in NOvember to the party of NO.

October 25, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  18. Russ

O'Donnell, there is no God, the bible is ficticious, praying does nothing for reality. It is all in your mind, what little mind you have. If something "good" happened it wasn't from praying. It would have happened anyway. Just like all the praying in the world doesn't stop the bad crap from happening. Get over it and embrace reality. Obviously praying didn't get you a job to save your house or and bail you out, campaign funds seem to be your answer for your financial difficulty.

October 25, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  19. Jack

I disagree with the double standard issue. As an independent conservative, your gasp on the issues of the day seems to be lacking by comments that you have made, even when taken out of context, your respomses lack the in-depth anaylsis that I think is required to lead this country or represent the voters.

Both you and Mrs. Palin lack that which I consider essential for political leadership.

You are just in the same league as Maragent Thatcher; you could be with time and experience.

October 25, 2010 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  20. a in austin

You being a female has nothing to do with how you portray yourself. What is it you, Palin, Angle, and all have been saying this past week – "Man up" and where are your cojones? I feel you have crossed the line as far as gender discrimination goes. Get over yourself....

October 25, 2010 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  21. VB Lincoln Park NJ

It's just too bad that she doesn't have a prayer in this election. just like so many other Tea Party (American Taliban) candidates.

October 25, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  22. Larry

When O'Dumbell says there is a double standard she is trying to pull the gender card. She's pulling "The White Annoying Teabagger" card, not the gender card.

October 25, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  23. emma

It is unfortunate Christine has difficulty making a strong case for her beliefs. Her words may make sense to her and her small group of supporters, but the meaning is obscure.

October 25, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  24. SometimesElla

Oh Christine – if you had any higher order thinking skills you may be able to realize that you are, essentially, a female Carl Paladino. You say similarly outlandish things and yes, you're treated the exact same way. Now I know you like things to be verbatim, so I will state – I understand that you and Carl have not made the exact – word-for-word statements, but it would be hard to say, unequivocally, who is more ridiculous between the both of you. Regardless, they would indeed be saying those things if you weren't a woman. Get over yourself.

October 25, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  25. Vote Repulican - End the Minimum Wage

God told me that I need to con people to make a living.
    That's why I paid my rent with campaign money.
    I love God, and he love's me and will make with rich off the money my supporters send me.

I learned how to "grift" from the "Queen fo the Grifters", Sister Sarah