October 25th, 2010

Christine O'Donnell says her influences include God and Gloria Steinem

(CNN) - In a recent interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network, Christine O'Donnell listed both God and Gloria Steinem as sources of inspiration and influence when times get tough on the campaign trail.

The interview was conducted by CBN's The Brody File on Friday at Wesley College in Dover, Delaware and is posted on CBN's website.

O'Donnell cited a double standard she believes is being applied to women, specifically conservative women who choose to run for office. "I don't feel it because I don't watch the news. (Laughs) No. I do feel it. There's certainly a double standard and I don't often quote Gloria Steinem but she said you can look at a double standard if they wouldn't attack the male opponent that way and there's no doubt that they wouldn't say the things they're saying about me, they wouldn't do the things that they're doing if I weren't a woman. I'm not whining but there certainly is a double standard especially when it comes to conservative woman."

O'Donnell then delved into faith stating, "God is the reason that I'm running. If I didn't believe that there were a cause greater than myself worth fighting for, if I didn't believe that it takes a complete dying of self to make things right in this election cycle I would not be running and when you die to yourself you rely on a power greater than yourself so prayer is what's gotten us all through."

She continued that her success in politics can be directly tied to prayer: "The day that we saw a spike in the polls was a day that some people had a prayer meeting for me that morning for this campaign so I believe that prayer plays a direct role in this campaign and I always ask please pray for the campaign; please pray for our staff; please pray specifically that the eyes of the voters be opened."

Christine O'Donnell will square off November 2nd against Democrat Chris Coons in one of the most talked about Senate races in the country.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. Julie C

Well, Christine, there is no double-standard at all, I wouldn't vote for you if you were a man either. Just because you are a woman does not automatically qualify you. To cite Gloria Steinem is ludicrous; she represents women's rights and you propose to send us back to the Dark Ages. That's why we don't respect you and you won't get our votes. Your argument is bogus as usual. Furthermore, you are not qualified to run for office; what have you done; what solutions do you offer? You are just another talking head like Palin....empty. Keep your faith, you'll need it.

October 25, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  2. Bite me

I spoke with over a dozen of my co-employee's regarding the upcoming election today. 11 of the 12 all said they were going to vote Democrat with only one stating that he would vote Republican, he is just back from Afghanistan. We all went to lunch and over our Big Mac's we discussed our Union pension plans, 85% State funded healthcare plans and our co-pay 401K plans and early buy out possibilities. After about an hour and a half of discussing these matters during our one hour break we decided we had better get back because someone might actually want to get their driver's license or tag renewed and it was probably time for our other co-workers to take their Union mandated break.

October 25, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  3. JonmarkP

What Gloria Steinem said was, "There won't be true equality until there are incompetent women in high places." No wonder this dingbat doesn't quote her very often.

October 25, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  4. Travis

Apparently everyone has free will until Christine O'Donnell prays for you to change your mind.

October 25, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  5. Sorensen

I don't think, Gloria Steinem would appreciate being associated with Ms. O'Donnell. Indeed, nobody with even the smallest
    brain would!

October 25, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  6. Mike

Its terrifying to know how many elected officials rely on superstition to make real life decisions which will affect millions of fellow citizens.

October 25, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  7. Yenny

What if I organize a prayer group to pray that she doesn't get elected?

October 25, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  8. Witchy woman

prayers to the horned god, that is.

October 25, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  9. anthony

Here we go again mixing Church and State....

Keep your PRAYER out of POLITICS woman.
    If prayers impact your polls, does this mean your opponent isnt praying enough??
    Does this mean your GOD favors you more?

This woman JUST DOESNT GET IT....
    When will she (and her party) realize its not the voodoo theocratic smoke screen of fear and god that influence polls, but rather, what issues and what solutions the candidate is bringing to the table... also the type of character they have.

In this case Christine... keep praying.

October 25, 2010 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  10. AstroBoy

What a wingnut.

October 25, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  11. DIANA

How dare she insult Ms. Steinem! She doesn't know the first thing about the feminist movement! So God's making people vote for her.

October 25, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  12. kenneth fusilier

I thought christine was a witch:then she can use her witchcraft or pray to rand paul's aqua bhudda god to catch up in the polls. God is not motivating her to run for the senate,her own self interest are: a two year old can see right thru ms odonnell. So just ride your broom and go away for good. Three strikes and your out!

October 25, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  13. Stephen

I wonder if there is enough time left for me to move to Delaware before the election just to register and vote against this stupid person. I did not say stupid woman. There can be no double standard for stupidity.
    There are just as many devout Christians praying for Democrats as there are praying for Republicans...God is an independent.

October 25, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  14. TJones

Christine, you should have never brought up the issue of "witches, witchcraft, or any occult" affiliation. The media has completely distorted it, but you did the most damage by even bringing it up.

This proves that what goes in a man doesn't defile him; it's what comes out – and you can find that in the Bible.

Brush-up on your image and try to act like you are intelligent. You seem to be an airhead and this is an affront to people with highly-educated backgrounds which have college degrees.

This is exactly why I distrust and dislike the Republican Party; they do not represent me, share any view I have on the issues, or have any idea of what it's like to be middle-class. The only person I like from the Republican party is Ron Paul, who makes sense and doesn't sound like a whack-job. Ron Paul makes sense, you could do great by yourself if you ask him to be your mentor.

Wise-up and see Ron Paul; quit trying to be Mrs. Elvira Palin. I would rather elect the real "Elvira" to office than you or most Republicans. She makes more sense than your party and even most Democrats.

You people are seriously out-of-touch with "REAL AMERICA."

October 25, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  15. chaski

I think the obvious thing is for her to give up campaigning and just pray, and pray. and pray.

October 25, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  16. welches, oregon

Impacts her polls? I guess she's not 'praying' hard enough. LOL!

October 25, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. Readbetweenthelines

Need I say that prayer is her only hope.............................

October 25, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. Liberal4Obama

More like plain old IGNORANCE has affected her polls

October 25, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  19. Superhiro

No.... Just no. Prayer does not help your poll numbers. No amount of prayer is going to make you qualified nor make the voter's "eyes be opened". No amount of prayer is going to make you look like less of an idiot.

October 25, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  20. S. in California Laughing In Anticipation Of How Well Democrats Turnout At The Polls

I for one believe NO ONE and I mean NO ONE has the right to question some one's faith so I won't comment on her religious beliefs because I don't know if she's genuine or not. However, she is a clown and a witch. I hope the people in Delaware put a stop to this circus. I wish women would stop using the "fraigile woman card" to get votes. If you want the job pray, dwell on the issues and listen to the people. That would get my vote. My eyes tell me what you are. I'm not blind. So stop it already. Enough.

October 25, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  21. Marissa

I guess prayer is better than Newts and toads. This woman is nuttier than a fruitcake

October 25, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  22. S. in California Laughing In Anticipation Of How Well Democrats Turnout At The Polls

Sorry, I meant "fragile"

October 25, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  23. Laverne

That is fine and all, but you must educate yourself in order to lead others. Some people try and hide behind religion as if God does not require us to be accountable for the stupid things we do and say is ridiculous! I am tired of people making a mockery out of God and what it means to be a Christian. There are a lot stuipd people who are Christians, but if you say God called you to do something or you call yourself to do something, you have to prepare yourself for the task at hand. God does not call you to anything unprepared. I think this woman need to go back to the basics and get a good understanding of things before she proceed any further in politics or anything else in her life. There is no way you can say you are presenting God in politics and be the embarassment she has become! Shame on you Christine!

October 25, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  24. The Unsub

just vote!!!

October 25, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  25. Tracie Imalele

may god will be done in the race.

October 25, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |