October 25th, 2010

LIVE BLOG from the Florida Governor's debate

CNN Chief National Correspondent John King co-hosts the CNN/St. Petersburg Times Florida gubernatorial debate on a special edition of "John King, USA" live at 7 p.m. EST. We'll be live blogging throughout the hour RIGHT HERE.

Follow our tweets of the debate: @CNNPolitics

Candidates in the race and on stage: Democrat Alex Sink and Republican Rick Scott

7:02: Sink – You can't label me an "Obama liberal" VIDEO: Rick Scott: Obama's stimulus a disaster

7:04p : Scott – "I followed all the rules."

7:05p: Sink says there is nothing in her plan that calls for raising taxes. Tells Scott he is "reinventing history" VIDEO: Sink: Scott's reinventing history

7:08p : Sink to Scott: "You can't lecture me about fraud." VIDEO: Sink: You can't lecture me about fraud

7:09p : Scott – I am proud of the company I built

7:10p: Scott – I believe in legal immigration. ...If you're in our country illegally and get stopped by law enforcement, they should be able to ask if you are legal or not.

7:11p: Sink – Florida is not Arizona. I would increase the fines and penalties on businesses that knowingly hire illegal immigrants

Question: Scott, you say you want to run Florida like a business....you gave a deposition that involved fraud with one of your companies. You said you didn't read a letter that you signed. Is that how you would run the state?

7:17p: Scott – What you do as CEO is surround yourself by the smartest people. That's what I would do as governor as well. VIDEO: Scott answers questions about fraud case

7:19p: Scott- that's a legal issue that was settled. It has nothing to do with running for governor.

7:20p: Scott- the only reason we're having this discussion is because my opponent has no plan and she's attacked me on this issue

7:21p: Sink – I cannot sit here while Scott continues to tell lies about me

7:22p: Sink – He doesn't know a thing about me. He also doesn't know much about Florida. He hasn't been here long enough

7:22p: Scott to Sink – You are a failed fiscal watchdog

7:25p: Sink – If someone tells me to do something that is not legal, I'm not going to do it. I care about the people who work hard everyday.

7:27p: Sink – "I'm not going to be the kind of governor who puts profit over people like Rick Scott does."

Question: You both have said jobs are your number one priority. If a governor can do things to improve the economy, what didn't Gov. Crist do well? VIDEO: Scott to Sink: You broke the rules

7:32p: Scott – you have to create an environment that is good for business. Have to reduce regulation, focus on the size of government. Phase out the business tax. Charlie Crist and my opponent did none of those things.

7:32p: Sink- Let me clarify about who has been in charge in Tallahassee. It's been one party – Rick Scott's party. Tallahassee insiders. I've been a Tallahassee outsider.

Question: Would you pull the plug on high speed rail?

7:35p: Scott – if the federal government is going to fund all of it, lets look at it. Let's make sure we have all the money and look at what the real return is...You wouldn't build a building without knowing everything.

Question: Did you learn any lesson from the BP oil spill?

7:36p: Sink – We learned as Floridians that to approve drilling in Florida waters...would be a horrible idea....Accidents can happen. ...The other lesson is we saw how dependent we are on our tourist economy.

7:38p: Scott – What my opponent and Gov. Crist should have been doing is, they should have stayed down there until the problem was solved...

Question: What's your environmental plan?

7:39p: Scott- we need to do everything we possibly can...restore the Everglades...but the number one issue right now is to restore jobs.

7:40p: Sink – My opponent has said he would do away with the Dept. of Community Affairs. ...he would just hand Florida over to development to go wild.

Question: Do you support the new Nebraska abortion which defines the issue around when the fetus can feel pain?

7:46p: Scott – I am pro life with the exception of rape and danger to the mother. Yes I would support the law.

7:46p: Sink – No i wouldn't. I will uphold the law that we have in Florida currently.

7:48p: Sink – every single newspaper that has endorsed has endorsed my campaign.

Question: Do you think the Florida legislator has gone too far right?

7:48p: Sink – just this year, they passes a slush fund bill. Gov. Crist vetoed that bill rightfully so.

7:49p: Sink – this House should have passed an ethics package because we have so much corruption.

7:50p: Scott to Sink – "You've been in office for four years. You had your shot."

Question: Do you think homosexuality is immoral?

7:55p: Scott – I'm not going to judge people based on that.

Question – What's your biggest regret?

7:55p: Sink – that's hard for me to answer because I don't think about the past.

7:45p: Scott – I would have more kids

7:56p: - Both candidates get the minimum wage wrong. VIDEO: Scott and Sink get minimum wage wrong

*END*

Filed under: 2010 • Alex Sink • Florida • JKUSA • Rick Scott
  1. Vote for SINK!!!

My mother said, Rick Scott looks creepy and his hiding something. To the seniors in FL you would be a fool to vote for Scott. Your vote would be like putting it in a bucket with a hole in it. Vote Alex Sink.

October 25, 2010 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  2. Name Peggy c

Poorly run debate. It looked like the male candidate was allowed to speak, interrupt, and finish all of his statements while Ms. Sink was cut off, frequently interrupted and was held to time limits not enforced with Mr. Scott. She was asked to answer questions, while he was allowed to avoid them. I feel a journalists job is to get answers not allow personal attacks from the candidates. I did not see that tonight.

October 25, 2010 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  3. Ken Johnson

These 2 were total idiots

October 25, 2010 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  4. M Stewart

The Florida Gov. debate was a disgrace! It was a shame to watch 3 men ganging up on a woman; but I am so happy that your efforts are in vain as we will have the 1st female Gov. of the Sunshine State on November 2nd!!

October 25, 2010 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  5. Ken Johnson

Boy are we in trouble in Florida

October 25, 2010 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  6. Ed in Fla

John King did a very poor job of moderating. After the endless commercial breaks he did not do the follow-up he said he would before the break. Sink ignored most of his questions and he did a poor job of 'pulling her back to the question asked'. This was disappointing debate made worse with a weak moderator.

October 25, 2010 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  7. David Jung

From a viewer's perspective, it's hard to trust both candidates. Alex continues to avoid a myriad of questions while Rick tries to appear like he's not part of the Republican Party.

October 25, 2010 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  8. Muffyshome

I will NEVER watch another debate with John King as the Narrator!!! Did Scott pay you off John?? With the exception of one question you always asked Scott the question first. You hardly ever gave Sink time for rebuttal. You almost always went to break when she wanted to comment!! How one sided a debate can you get! I hope Alex Sink never accepts another invitation to debate with you in charge! Go Alex!!!

October 25, 2010 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  9. beth

Alex Sink slaughtered Scott. For the sake of Florida, I hope she wins.

October 25, 2010 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  10. allamr18

Holy crap what does a republican have to do to no longer be welcome in their party? Family values nope, fraud nope, big government nope, lie us into war nope. Cheat on their wives nope, Out a cia agent nope, politicize the justice department nope, funnel money through religious groups only that support their positions nope.

October 25, 2010 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  11. SickOfJohnKingthe Republican

I am soooooo tired of John King's thinly veiled attempts to remain "nonpartisan". I am really disappointed in CNN Zfor allowing him to be one-sided and unfair in his reporting. If he is going to be a partisan contributor, then do that, but don't insult everyone's intelligence by pretending not to be conservative in your leanings... And by the way, John King's "cute little way" of stacking the deck in these debates he moderates by getting conservative leaning reporters to help him gang up on the democrat is ridiculous! And by the way, I am a registered INDEPENDENT, so my observations come from a position of looking at both sides. Either side you stand on, John King isn't fair. CNN, shame on you for giving him such a platform!

October 25, 2010 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  12. MARK OWUSU

John could just not hold back his obvious bias....how rude and unprofessional could you be?? consistently asking negative questions, cutting Sink off as soon as she tried to answer,... promising to allow her to respond subsequently and then cutting her off again as soon as she tries to..and worse of all chuckling all the time you do this??? and you wonder why yourprogram on CNN consistently has low ratings? Cos discerning minds can read between your overly digitalized depictions and pretenses of being objective...

October 25, 2010 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  13. Joanie

I want a Governor who will represent the people and be honest, not to PLEAD THE FIFTH instead of telling the truth..

Sink is the Governor I need.

October 25, 2010 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  14. Independent

This is hilarious. Will Florida really hire a crook to run the shop. Is it obvious to anyone in that state that this guy has no morals?

October 25, 2010 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  15. Saul

Seems to me like these two candidates are immature and inexperienced, that wasn't a debate the was just a game of who has the bigger stick. The answers that they gave were childish. We need real leaders in America not kids.

October 25, 2010 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  16. mak

So you all think these two dum dum going to fix or do something for your state when they don't know what is there state wage is? Good luck to all of us.

October 25, 2010 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  17. mak

Juan William, he can't be wrong because he is black or he only offended Muslim so he can't be a biggiot, oh by the way he wrote Civil Rights Movement books for black people only.

October 25, 2010 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  18. Rich Casper

I hope I am wrong,but it seemed as though the debate was rigged between The St. Pete Times and Rick Scott. Scott looked as if he knew exactly what the next question offered Alex Sink was going to be. She truly looked as though she was gang ed upon from all sides. Just an errie feeling about this debate that permeated the air.

October 26, 2010 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  19. evelyn

I saw the debate 10/25 between sink & scott
    John King was very unfair to Alex Sink & seemed to favor Scott. He let him ramble on & kept interupting Sink, & wouldnt allow her to finish her thoughts. this debate was obviously one sided, rick scott was obnoxious & he lied & kept repeating the same lie. Mr King allowed this beratment of her to go on. Rick Scott was very snarky to her.
    I normally like mr King, but I was very annoyed at his treatment of her & the debate

October 26, 2010 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  20. Anderson

What is interesting about the candidates who are debating each other one wonders if it was a calculated decision to seek public office or if a friend asked them to pursue such a career. The rationale for my observation is because in retrospect it appears that there are so mant events that has taken place within the candidate's past and therefore I am sure that the candidates would rather not discuss it furthermore identify it since the past remains in the past...

October 26, 2010 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  21. c hall

I thought the debate was unfair to Alex Sink. John King and and co-anchor were not a good choice. They sould have done their homework on Alex Sink's platform. Mrs Sink did not have the same amount of time that was given to Rick Scott. At one time Alex Sink had to ask if his time had not yet run out. John King answered , he was letting the conversation continue. ONE MINIUE IS ONE MINUTE IN A DEBATE. FAIR IS FAIR. Many times she was unable to answer or explain an accusation because the host's would ask a new question. I was uncertain who I was going to vote for. I now know it is not Rick Scott. He is evasive and not a truthful person. John King was not a good host. Thank you

October 26, 2010 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  22. D. Bunker

It is laughable to hear Scott claim he "learned" from his healthcare fraud "mistake." The only thing he learned is that next time he should work harder at not getting caught. Corporate predators like him do NOT change their spots. Vote accordingly.

October 26, 2010 08:43 am at 8:43 am |