October 25th, 2010

LIVE BLOG from the Florida Governor's debate

CNN Chief National Correspondent John King co-hosts the CNN/St. Petersburg Times Florida gubernatorial debate on a special edition of "John King, USA" live at 7 p.m. EST. We'll be live blogging throughout the hour RIGHT HERE.

Follow our tweets of the debate: @CNNPolitics

Candidates in the race and on stage: Democrat Alex Sink and Republican Rick Scott

7:02: Sink – You can't label me an "Obama liberal" VIDEO: Rick Scott: Obama's stimulus a disaster

7:04p : Scott – "I followed all the rules."

7:05p: Sink says there is nothing in her plan that calls for raising taxes. Tells Scott he is "reinventing history" VIDEO: Sink: Scott's reinventing history

7:08p : Sink to Scott: "You can't lecture me about fraud." VIDEO: Sink: You can't lecture me about fraud

7:09p : Scott – I am proud of the company I built

7:10p: Scott – I believe in legal immigration. ...If you're in our country illegally and get stopped by law enforcement, they should be able to ask if you are legal or not.

7:11p: Sink – Florida is not Arizona. I would increase the fines and penalties on businesses that knowingly hire illegal immigrants

Question: Scott, you say you want to run Florida like a business....you gave a deposition that involved fraud with one of your companies. You said you didn't read a letter that you signed. Is that how you would run the state?

7:17p: Scott – What you do as CEO is surround yourself by the smartest people. That's what I would do as governor as well. VIDEO: Scott answers questions about fraud case

7:19p: Scott- that's a legal issue that was settled. It has nothing to do with running for governor.

7:20p: Scott- the only reason we're having this discussion is because my opponent has no plan and she's attacked me on this issue

7:21p: Sink – I cannot sit here while Scott continues to tell lies about me

7:22p: Sink – He doesn't know a thing about me. He also doesn't know much about Florida. He hasn't been here long enough

7:22p: Scott to Sink – You are a failed fiscal watchdog

7:25p: Sink – If someone tells me to do something that is not legal, I'm not going to do it. I care about the people who work hard everyday.

7:27p: Sink – "I'm not going to be the kind of governor who puts profit over people like Rick Scott does."

Question: You both have said jobs are your number one priority. If a governor can do things to improve the economy, what didn't Gov. Crist do well? VIDEO: Scott to Sink: You broke the rules

7:32p: Scott – you have to create an environment that is good for business. Have to reduce regulation, focus on the size of government. Phase out the business tax. Charlie Crist and my opponent did none of those things.

7:32p: Sink- Let me clarify about who has been in charge in Tallahassee. It's been one party – Rick Scott's party. Tallahassee insiders. I've been a Tallahassee outsider.

Question: Would you pull the plug on high speed rail?

7:35p: Scott – if the federal government is going to fund all of it, lets look at it. Let's make sure we have all the money and look at what the real return is...You wouldn't build a building without knowing everything.

Question: Did you learn any lesson from the BP oil spill?

7:36p: Sink – We learned as Floridians that to approve drilling in Florida waters...would be a horrible idea....Accidents can happen. ...The other lesson is we saw how dependent we are on our tourist economy.

7:38p: Scott – What my opponent and Gov. Crist should have been doing is, they should have stayed down there until the problem was solved...

Question: What's your environmental plan?

7:39p: Scott- we need to do everything we possibly can...restore the Everglades...but the number one issue right now is to restore jobs.

7:40p: Sink – My opponent has said he would do away with the Dept. of Community Affairs. ...he would just hand Florida over to development to go wild.

Question: Do you support the new Nebraska abortion which defines the issue around when the fetus can feel pain?

7:46p: Scott – I am pro life with the exception of rape and danger to the mother. Yes I would support the law.

7:46p: Sink – No i wouldn't. I will uphold the law that we have in Florida currently.

7:48p: Sink – every single newspaper that has endorsed has endorsed my campaign.

Question: Do you think the Florida legislator has gone too far right?

7:48p: Sink – just this year, they passes a slush fund bill. Gov. Crist vetoed that bill rightfully so.

7:49p: Sink – this House should have passed an ethics package because we have so much corruption.

7:50p: Scott to Sink – "You've been in office for four years. You had your shot."

Question: Do you think homosexuality is immoral?

7:55p: Scott – I'm not going to judge people based on that.

Question – What's your biggest regret?

7:55p: Sink – that's hard for me to answer because I don't think about the past.

7:45p: Scott – I would have more kids

7:56p: - Both candidates get the minimum wage wrong. VIDEO: Scott and Sink get minimum wage wrong

*END*

Filed under: 2010 • Alex Sink • Florida • JKUSA • Rick Scott
  1. Lois

You are not being fair to Alex Sink. Everyone first question has been going to Scott and no one is interuptting him like you keep interupting Sink!! Let her talk!!!!

October 25, 2010 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  2. sjconner12

Rick Scott is a scumbag who belongs in jail.

October 25, 2010 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. Lorraine

I love john King but this was the worst moderating I have seen ! Nothing got done other than same old same old. too bad !

October 25, 2010 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  4. T'SAH from Virginia

Why is CNN hosting a DEBATE that has COMMERCIALS????????????????????????????????? It's ANNOYING and it takes a lot out of the conversation!!! As soon as the candidates get into a good DEBATE – here comes a commercial!!! Jeez!!

PLEASE – CSPAN – You should be hostng ALL DEBATES!!!!!!!!!

This is T'SAH from Virginia and I approve this message!!!

October 25, 2010 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  5. H. Dunn

Why are you soing so much favoritism to the Republican candidate? You've given him far more time than his Democratic opponent.

October 25, 2010 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  6. Paul Warren

The debate is marred by the frequent commercial interruptions. No thanks for putting the public good about your profits Mr King.

October 25, 2010 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  7. Sabrina Porter

OMG!!! Would someone please stop this circus. I am so disappointed with the moderators, why are they allowing them to get and stay personal. This is the worse debate that I have ever witnessed.!!!!!!!!!

October 25, 2010 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  8. Name Mike McG

When I think of GOP, I think of legal criminals. And pro-middle class / poor. Because, poor does exist in America and in my opinion atleast, Obama realizes this. He's also open with just about any topic or situation that's going on in the world.

October 25, 2010 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  9. Todd W. Byars

Again we see that Rick Scott will not answer questions.

He tells us he build a health care company, and that he is proud of it... but he will answer no questions about it.

Rick Scott says he will run Florida like he did his company.

Does that mean the people will have no access to the Governor ?

Does that include the record breaking fraud against the sick and the elderly ??

Rick Scott is a criminal.

Vote for Alex Sink – Democrat for Governor

Todd W. Byars
    from Tallahassee, FL

October 25, 2010 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  10. Spike5

I can't understand why this is even a close race. Scott was the CEO of a company that committed massive Medicare and Medicaid fraud and proved that he doesn't know how to control a large organization. He says that he hired the best and that he would do that again as governor, but the best that he hired before were responsible for his company's paying a $1.7 billion fine. How can we expect him to do any better running the 4th largest state? Whether or not you approve of Sink herself, Scott is an example of a person who in other days would have been laughed off the stage when he first began his campaign. What has happened to the Republican Party? They have lost all integrity.

October 25, 2010 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  11. Jim Bennett

Don't ever let John King moderate a debate again. He is a fine journalist, analyst, and television/online newsperson, but not a debate moderator. The debate structure was just awful.

October 25, 2010 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  12. Emily

I am watching this from the west coast, it feels like Sink is having to debate all three males with a mic. Very disappointed in John King. Thank you.

October 25, 2010 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  13. T'SAH from Virginia

This is the worst coordinated debate I have ever witnessed!!! Niether candidate knew what the minimum wage was? That's tells me and all other Americans just how 'out of touch' these candidates are!

October 25, 2010 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  14. Lois

That was the most prejudicial debate against the Democratic nominee (Alex Sink) that I have ever seen!!! This debate was awful and the questions were terrible

October 25, 2010 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  15. Luis-Miami

If Alex Sink is an "Obama Sympathizer" I would say Rick Scott is the worst evil by being a reflection of Bush era politics and morality....My Vote goes to Sink.

October 25, 2010 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  16. Nancy

Sad night for CNN – this debate was one one-sided.

October 25, 2010 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  17. chris

It is unfortunate that almost every first question went to Rick Scott. This debate was moderated poorly. If the debate was moderated by individuals who would let Alex Sink make a point ,and discourage the audience from cheering Rick Scott, then perhaps Floridians could learn where the candidates stand on the issues.

October 25, 2010 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  18. J. Shaw

I won't vote for EITHER! The debate just proved I can't trust either. I just might write in "McCollum."

October 25, 2010 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  19. James Davis

John King did a terrible job of moderating the recent FL debate between Sink and Scott. He allowed candidates to stray off the subject matter or question that was asked. He did not reiterate the question and have the candidates answer the question. He allowed to much character assassination. FL voters need to know the candidates point of view on the issues. We don't really care about who ran what company into the ground. Please have someone else moderate next time, and hold the candidates accountable to answering the question(s). As a voter, I grow tired of moderators allowing candidates to skate the issues. It is a disservice to the American voter.

October 25, 2010 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  20. LP

John King nor his assistant treated the two candidates equally. When John King started attacking Alex Sink regarding the pension funds and she wanted to respond you said you would allow time for that and after break went right onto another set of questions with no intent to let her respond. Constantly gave Scott the opportunityto answer first instead of taking turns. I am very disappointed in your way of handling this debate.

October 25, 2010 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  21. Mary Lou Ambrose

This "debate" was a travesty. Alex Sink against Rick Scott, John King and Adam Smith. Badly moderated and biased. CNN has permanently lost me as a viewer. I had some respect for John King but he totally let Scott take over. Don't know if he is just ineffective or just a far right conservative. Doesn't make any difference. CNN no longer is subjets to viewing in our home. Sink would have been treated more fairly on Fox "News."

October 25, 2010 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  22. haitiman

Boy did Alex Sink get hosed! She got hosed by John King and The newspaper report. They cut her short, they pressed her for further, and let RIck Scott do whatever he wanted. What a unfair debate! CNN is garbage! Thank god for Google and the Internet! The days of unbiased news are numbered!

October 25, 2010 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  23. Jason

I didn't see too much difference between them.The juan williams was a stupid question John King asked at the end i wonder who payed him to ask that. What he shoulda asked was "do you think the firing of Rick Sanchez My former friend was justified?" Damn CNN i thought you were about equality but you're just as full of it as these two candidates!!

October 25, 2010 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  24. jan

John King did an absolutely miserable job on the Florida governor debate tonight. He did not give Alex Sink the chance to defend herself from the lies that were told by her opponent, Rick Scott.
    She was not given time to talk about the newspaper endorsements she has received. She has 16 newspaper endorsements and Scott has NONE. O. Nada. The newspapers are researching these issues to keep the average Floridian from having to do so and they ALL endorsed Alex Sink!!!!! Scott got zero!!!!
    John King should be fired on the spot for his total sell out of Florida and its citizens. Scott is a proven criminal and if he is elected, we will have a Republican legislature (clowns and criminals) and a Republican governor and King is culpable in this.

October 25, 2010 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  25. curtther

Don't either one. I hope the people florida Elect the right person and not some talking head.

October 25, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |