October 25th, 2010

Politician who tells president to 'shove it' is a no-show

Woonsocket, Rhode Island (CNN) - It isn't very often that a chair at a President Obama event garners much attention.

But at a Woonsocket, Rhode Island manufacturing plant on Monday, it was the seat, and the politician who wasn't in it, that ended up in the spotlight.

It became a classic case of now you see it, now you don't.

Frank Caprio, the democratic gubernatorial candidate here, had originally been scheduled to attend the brief remarks along with other dignitaries and plant employees.

CNN photojournalist Tim Garraty got a clear shot of the placard reserving Caprio's seat at the event site hours before the president was slated to appear.

But as controversial comments Caprio made earlier in the day on talk radio spread like wildfire, the sign on the seat vanished.

On local radio station WPRO, Caprio, a Democrat caught in a tight race without a presidential endorsement, said Mr. Obama "can take his endorsement and really shove it, as far as I'm concerned."

So was this local pol disinvited for dissing the President?

A spokesman with the Caprio campaign told CNN that Caprio had decided not to attend, instead spending "the afternoon touring seven local small businesses."

Filed under: 2010 • President Obama • Rhode Island
  1. Frank in Valparaiso Indiana

Guess he can forget about being invited to the White House anytime soon....

October 25, 2010 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  2. kara

Decided he couldn't say it to his face then?

October 25, 2010 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  3. keeth in california

Caprio: this isn't high school. Grow up!

October 25, 2010 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  4. DickNH

Frankie must be a relative of Carl "garbagemouth" Paladino.

October 25, 2010 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  5. John

I don't care how disappointed Caprio is. You don't use such language about the President.

October 25, 2010 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  6. Ken in NC

He decided not to attend because the President's Staff advised him to go else where to look for votes.

October 25, 2010 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  7. tracy

Per repubs, The Tea Party isn't fit to sit at their dinner table.. hahahahhehehe!!

October 25, 2010 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  8. Terry

Trust me, Tuesday cannot arrive fast enough. No matter who wins a House or Senate Seat, it will still be Washington, DC and the players will still be antagonists. I want the Republicans to win total control, and then I want to see them find jobs for all of the workers who's manufacturing jobs were shipped off to China, India, Mexico, South America, Germany, and other EU countries. I look forward to the Republicans reversing the healthcare bill, and the total collapse of the banking system under Republican Rule. The real crash is coming folks, we have not seen a crash like the one to come.

October 25, 2010 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  9. Jon

So he didn't have the guts to show up, huh? Figures.

October 26, 2010 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  10. Fed Up

Why should he show respect to someone who doesn't respect him?

October 26, 2010 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  11. J.V.Hodgson

This no show is not news at all the President has far tighter seats and candidates who need his support than to spend time going to this strong democratic leaning seat.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

October 26, 2010 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  12. use the brain

Good for him. The president snubbed him, so why show up. I give Obama an F for his ideology as well.

October 26, 2010 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  13. FANDANGO

I don't blame the President for not endorsing this twit. Now he knows that what goes around comes around. Caprio was really strutting his stuff in 2008 when he refused to endorse the then Senator Obama. Now this arrogant, overbearing loser expects PRESIDENT OBAMAcomes payback. Obama did the smart thing by returning the favor and not endorsing Caprio since he couldn't very well return the favor and endorse the independent candidate (whom we hope wins in R.I.) Caprio can't have it both ways. He didn't think much of Obama in 2008 and now he wants his endorsement?!! HE'S GOTTA BE KIDDING. HE IS ALSO LEARNING WHERE HE CAN SHOVE IT. candidate since he couldn't very well return the favor and endorse the independent, more qualified candidate, who himself endorsed Sen. Obama in 2008. Caprio was so sure of himself in 2008 and wouldn't endorse Obama, so why in the world should he expect Pres. Obama to now endorse him?!!! This piece of work is a loser and we hope he loses in 2010.

October 26, 2010 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  14. German,IrishAmerican

Caprio is the only Democrat that makes since and isn't afraid to expose Obama for what he really is. A Cheap Chicago thug politician who advocates suppressing the military vote, along with free speech. How about Obama's racist, bigoted comment about making Republicans sit in the back? The most divisive hatefilled President in the history of the US.

October 26, 2010 04:23 am at 4:23 am |
  15. jules sand-perkins

Caprio would get my vote if I lived in his state.
    President Obama needs to be "dissed," if that unfortunate new verb has to appear in journalism today for clarity to challenged readers.
    It is not disrespectful to the office of the President to say, in a free country, that a particular president is doing a terrible job.
    Often it requires a child without guile to call out a naked emperor.

October 26, 2010 05:12 am at 5:12 am |
  16. Marie MD

From what I have heard this guy is more rethug than Democrat. He might have voted here and there with the Democrats though.

October 26, 2010 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  17. really?

As a long-term democrat, I can say that there are better candidates to chose from than Frank Caprio. By saying this, I'm sure his campaign will tell me to take my vote and 'sholve it' as well.

I would rather vote for the 'Rent Is Too High' guy if I could. At least he doesn't sound like a little school girl whining when she didn't get the present she wanted.

October 26, 2010 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  18. Bristoll

So the eternal question is this: If Obama was coming to dinner, and you were invited, what would you do?

Would you go fishing or go tour seven small businesses?

October 26, 2010 06:41 am at 6:41 am |
  19. Ron

What a dumb thing to do. He's most likely blown your opportunity to become gov.

October 26, 2010 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  20. Jerry

Go Caprio! Stand up and be unafraid. Don't let the Bully-in-Chief and Campaigner-in-Chief intimidate you.

If I lived in your state, I would definitely vote and support your candidacy.

October 26, 2010 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  21. Living in America

What he couldn't do fly over at the manufacturing plant. My pipe bursted in my home I guess the President should do a flyover for me as well.

October 26, 2010 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  22. Thinker

He's classless. And spineless.

October 26, 2010 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  23. Whatever

IF the endorsement did not mean much why make such a big deal about it. Instead of acting like a child, show some respect and you would get some respect!!!! His words are speaking louder than his actions, so he can only thank himself if he loses. No one even knew about your race until now. Hopefully the voters of RI snub you back!!!!

October 26, 2010 09:15 am at 9:15 am |