October 26th, 2010

WH bristles over top Republicans' remarks

(CNN)–The White House is firing back at Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell after he told the National Journal that "the single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."

With his usual sarcastic tone, spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters "maybe Senator McConnell is interested in running for President."

The White House believes that fixing the ailing economy is the single most important thing, so top aides jumped at the chance to paint McConnell's comments as more business as usual, and part of the problem that landed the "car in the ditch."

Gibbs said there will be time in two years for a presidential campaign, but that "members of the Senate are elected and hired by the people of the United States to get stuff done for the people of the United States, not posture and play political games, gum up the system."

Senator McConnell's spokesman Don Stewart told CNN that senators "are not elected to rubber-stamp the President's agenda, particularly when that agenda conflicts with the will of their constituents." Stewart did not back away from McConnell's comments, reiterating that "ending the Obama Administration's liberal agenda as soon as possible is Sen. McConnell's top political priority."

He said the White House is only targeting them in order to avoid focusing on their failed economic policies.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitch McConnell • Robert Gibbs
  1. Jon

Why wasnt the economy the number one priority when Obama came into office, i distinctly remember a health care over haul that has done nothing yet..

October 26, 2010 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  2. joebob

The thing that these idiots who are bashing the Republicans forget is that this President is siphoning off your freedom and destroying the country. They also don't realize that today is that this country is in dreadful shape because of Obama's strategic policies shaped to kill this country outright and to make life impossible for Americans who will in the end be wards of the state. This man lied to all of the drones that voted him into the White House, promising them that he will be the Uniter and preaching transparency. This man, who has denegrated the office of the President and reduced America's status in the world is loving every opportunity to stick it to every American and divide this country, so Elizabeth, you need to wake up an smell the coffee, you blithering idiot!!!

October 26, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  3. NCMike

The simplistic childishness and foolishness of the left is the essence of the Obama administration's socialist economic policies, its failed and inadequate foreign policy, and its vapid moral relativist perspectives on abortion, race, environmentalism, religion, liberty, and civility. The spokepersons of the left are the morally bankrupt, like Elliot Spitzer, Ted Kennedy, Bill Maher, Joy Behar, Ed Schultz, Keith Olbermann, Rachel Maddow, Chris Matthews, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Alan Grayson, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Robert Gibbs, and the poster child for the morally bankrupt himself, Barack Obama. Not a word passes the lips of these liars that holds a shred of decency, clarity, or truth. To listen to the lies of the left is to pollute your very ears. Only an almighty and merciful God could have mercy on the evil perpetrated on America by these vile criminals.

October 26, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  4. David

All we have to do is look at our Country's laws, policies, and procedures to see that BOTH parties are to blame. Want to solve our problems? Start holding politicians legally and personally responsible for what is or is not passed. But no...we don't want see the truth do we. The Republic is well lost. At this point any hope for freedom requires that the nation be separated into three parts. Let the parasites (dem supporters)have a third, the communist a third, and the patriots (those that believe in America and Americans first) a third. Rest assured, unlike our government today, the patriots will have border control!

October 26, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  5. SWGutto

President Obama sets the tone. He campaigned as the Great Unifier, yet recently told Republicans that they had to ride "in the back of the bus." If you want partisanship to leave Washington, look in a mirror, Mr Gibbs and Pres Obama.

October 26, 2010 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  6. DEMS SUCK

Time to stop abusing our freedoms and begin to defend them once again. OUST THE LIBERALS....as true Democrats no longer exist.

October 26, 2010 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  7. Withheld

I work for a Democrat Representative and I can tell you that my guy is not a fan of President Obama. He can't say that publicly, but he sat in numerous private meetings with the President, Axelrod and Emmanuel and was promised that if he gave them his support on Healthcare, Cap and Trade, Stimulus, TARP and Financial Reform, that he would be protected and loved in his district. They just pulled all financial support from us and polls show us going down to a no account republican that shouldn't have a chance to be elected school crossing guard. We feel totally used and thrown to the side of the road like a sac of garbage. I hope Obama is a one-term president for the sake of the Democrats and our party. If he wins in 2012 it won't be by lawful means and it will be the death of our party.

October 26, 2010 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  8. Jim Morrison

Gibbs should go back to Alabama and stick his head in the red dirt!

October 26, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  9. Shari from Madison

Leave it to the repugnant republicans to again say they want our President to fail. They are idiots who believe that trickle down economics is the way to go, even though that didn't work before. They only want the President to fail because he challenges their beliefs that the Richer you are and the more you judge other people the better person you are. I am sick of these elitist repugnant republicans

October 26, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  10. Andy P

I love all the comments directed to Frank and Dodd propping up Freddie and Fannie. Here is Pres Bush talking about home ownership to HUD.

"And so, therefore, I've called - yesterday, I called upon the private sector to help us and help the home buyers. We need more capital in the private markets for first-time, low-income buyers. And I'm proud to report that Fannie Mae has heard the call and, as I understand, it's about $440 billion over a period of time. They've used their influence to create that much capital available for the type of home buyer we're talking about here. It's in their charter; it now needs to be implemented. Freddie Mac is interested in helping. I appreciate both of those agencies providing the underpinnings of good capital."

Please stop trying to blame the Fannie and Freddie debacle on the dems, Bush pushed home ownership just as hard.

October 26, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  11. k4

There are a bunch of people who have made their students loan worthless. They cannot even observe, think, analyze and make a proper judgment. I am pretty some of them cannot give the proper definition of "liberal" and "socialist". They just repeat what they "leaders" say. Pfffff. At least Do notbe an insult to urself if u dont care about ur student loan. Idiot!!

October 26, 2010 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  12. moderate voter

I believe the economy is getting better. I've been able to keep my job. We didn't have massive bank runs. On top of that I've seen increase in spending all over the place. Also I predict a job boom should China act in a restrictive manner in the coming months

October 26, 2010 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  13. Don

I am a registered Democrat and Union member. I am voting straight line Republican this year because I will not destroy my childrens and grandchildrens future by supporting the Liberal Socialist agenda that Obama has forced on America. I voted for him believing he would bring civility to our government. He has brought nothing but division, race baitng and Socialism. I apologize to all Americans for my vote in 2008.

October 26, 2010 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  14. Juju

After using his office, as a sitting president, to falsely accuse the Chamber of Commerce of funneling foreign money to republicans, I don't really think that Obama or his Brown Shirts like Robert Fibbs have any credibility in criticising anyone, anymore. Talk about pathetic. Sad & Pathetic.

October 26, 2010 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  15. John G

$3 trillion more in debt while on Obama's watch. Pelosi's watch has cost us a total of $5 trillion (this includes Obama's) The spending has clearly already started and you'd have to be ignorant and/or a fool to think the taxes aren't going to follow.

October 26, 2010 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  16. gphx

'I going to enjoy these guy going after Obama instead of taking care of there own states.' In case you didn't notice some of them already have their hands full because the White House is not helping them, it's suing them.

October 26, 2010 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  17. Robert

I thought golfing and campaigning was Obama's number one priority?

October 26, 2010 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  18. Shari from Madison

One more thing, the republican's believe that the more selfish the rich are the better for them. They do not represent the middle or lower class and care only for themselves and their arrogant rich CEO's, I know they say that the more CEO's make the more they will spend on their employees. That is B.S.

October 26, 2010 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  19. Andy P

Wow NCMike. I guess you look to Ensign and Vitter for your moral leadership. Or possibly Cheney and the torture brigade. If you recall we had an election. Obama won in a landslide. Hopefully you can get some help for mental health under the health care reform act. You could keep asking god but my guees is he won't answer back, he just might in your case though.

October 26, 2010 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  20. kat

I hope and pray that he is a One Term Pres. I don't know if the country could survive another one. This clown is an arrogant idiot.

October 26, 2010 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  21. emmett brown

Okay Walter Rego, maybe it is just by chance this is the first minorities ever to win Office. Maybe I am reading it wrong from the ads being placed on TV.. I have seen ads that state I will save you from over the boarder people and showing grungy Mexican Americans..Maybe I am reading it wrong when people running for office stance is I don't like Obama.. Sure people have yelled out in Congress liar many times, sure the tea party group was there during the Bush years..Sure people have been taking guns to rallies forever, all the hate group who have spun up lately, no problem. And let me correct for all the people throwing out token names.. How many Presidents Just one Big Dawg.... I guess it pretty bad when you can put them all in on paragraph... lol

October 26, 2010 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  22. Ted

McClownell is a moron and all he wants is more of the George W Bush era of trashing the economy, starting stupid wars and giving tax breaks to the rich. McClownell as do most repukelicans has a problem with minorities in power and has been against Obama from day one. What a chucklehead?

October 26, 2010 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  23. T'SAH from Virginia

NEXT>> TRENDING: Gingrich to Obama: Get advice from Bill Clinton

Okay, this is the reason why I state on the NEXT blog that President Obama DOES NOT need advice from a man like ginGRINCH who despise him!!!!!

Now reading this POST, you realize what the President is dealing with – an ignorant politician like McConnell who stated the above!!!!!!!! So it does not matter HOW you deal with the RepubliCAN'Ts – their intentions are to make President Obama FAIL!!!!!!!

DEMOCRATS – If you cannot see through what is going on – or you do not know WHO will get elected if we DO NOT get out there and VOTE....... This is what President Obama is going to have to deal with!!!!!

PLEASE get out and VOTE!!!!

This is T'SAH from Virginia and I approve this message!!!

October 26, 2010 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  24. k4

Care less about the mistake . I am typing on that worthless piece of phone....Peace

October 26, 2010 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  25. KC

"The White House believes that fixing the ailing economy is the single most important thing,..." BBBHHWWWAHAHAHAHHAH. OMG, what a complete tool Gibbs is.

October 26, 2010 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |