October 28th, 2010

Brewer blames DUI reports on 'silly season'

(CNN) - Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer questioned the timing of recent reports that she was involved in a 1988 alcohol-related car accident, blaming opposition to her candidacy in the final days of a tight race for her first full term as governor.

"It's interesting that so much stuff rises to the top for whatever the reasons, but yeah it's the silly season, I think people are digging and trying to discredit different candidates not only here in Arizona but certainly across Arizona," Brewer told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King in an interview set to air Thursday on John King, USA at 7 p.m. EST.

The Arizona Republic reported Wednesday night that Brewer – then a state senator – was involved in a minor fender bender over two decades ago, and that officers at the scene believed she was intoxicated.

Brewer has maintained that she did not believe that she was impaired.

"I had gone to dinner with some legislators, had dinner and had a couple of glasses of wine and was driving home on I-17 which is a free way in Phoenix and it was a construction zone," Brewer told CNN.

"We were traveling at very slow speed and I rear-ended the car that was in front of me. The Department of Public Safety was called, and they determined by their investigations, if you will, that they were going to detain me. I believe that I was not impaired," Brewer said.

Though Brewer was detained briefly, she was never charged in the crash. The state of Arizona protects lawmakers from arrest during the legislative session, although charges could have been filed after the session ended, according to the Arizona Republic. The Republic has questioned whether Brewer might have received special treatment from the Department of Public Safety because police did not follow-up on the investigation after the legislative session ended.

But Brewer has steadfastly denied that she asked for or received any special treatment.

"Bottom line was indeed I never claimed that I was a state senator nor did I - or do I - believe that elected officials should have legislative immunity. So that was not anything that I brought up, and certainly tried to the best of my ability and I think the report will say that I was very cooperative and polite," Brewer told CNN.

Brewer was appointed governor last year when Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano stepped down to join the Obama Administration. Brewer remains locked in a tight battle with Democratic state Attorney General Terry Goddard.

Filed under: 2010 • Arizona • Jan Brewer • JKUSA • John King USA
  1. Deborah/Kansas City

Justl like certain Arizona Polititians are trying to dig up stuff and discredit some of its citizens.

October 28, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  2. La Piovra

Well, damn it, she looks like one, she talks like one, she acts like one, and now, it seems, she drives like one. Maybe that explains why she debated like one. Somebody with a strong stomach see if she smells like one, and it'll be in the box that she is one.

October 28, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. Lori in St Pete

I was nearly killed by a drunk driver in 1988, and the FD had to use extraction equipment to get me out of my car. I'm very lucky to be alive. The plastic surgeries and physical therapy were like torture sessions, so IMO "a few glasses of wine with dinner" and then getting behind the wheel of a car is unacceptable and disgusting. Had she been a private citizen she would have gone to jail. Disgusting Bee-otch and disgusting laws. That "the state of Arizona protects lawmakers from arrest during the legislative session" is just another reason to boycott the state.

October 28, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  4. Marie MD

Is she trying to spin this just like the "beheadings"?
    A couple of glasses of wine on a twig like body is one glass too many. Do these rethugs ever take anything they do and just claim that, yes, they did it and it was wrong?
    I am sure being a state senator had nothing at all, nothing, to do with her being released without being charged. No, of course not!

October 28, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  5. Jan Brewer is Vile!

Jan Brewer is vile and a liar. Also has a health condition that has effect her job duties. Vote No!

October 28, 2010 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  6. Dave

She didn't exactly deny it...

October 28, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  7. sheesh

This election year has been very disappointing. The dirt thrown from both left and right are just ludicrous.

Like who cares about a fender bender over 20 years ago where no charges were laid? If there were no hooplas then why would there be hooplas now?

We can thank the media for another newsworthy article.

October 28, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  8. ingrid

There is a very interesting report that NPR reported about the role of ALEC and how it shaped AZ immigration law. ALEC has on its board a major prison company that seems to see the future of their industries tied to finding ways to lock up women and children who may be illegal immigrants. ALEC seems to have a lot of influence with many AZ legislators. Very unsettling and more investigation should be done to find out the relationship of ALEC to AZ legislation.

October 28, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  9. Cat

Every drunk don't believe they are drunk! She looks like an alcoholic!

October 28, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  10. Video Guy

I would not want this lady for a public office in my state, but not for this reason. 80s were a long time ago, and I am sure she was not nice to authority back then either.

October 28, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. Jack in AZ

We are doing what we can to vote this psycho woman out of office! Too many have bought into her rhetoric. This seems to be the case across the country, sadly. Anger vs. smarts seems to be driving decisions we'll later regret.

October 28, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  12. vic nashville tn

Nothing to worry she will win this year election your past doesn’t count once you got tea party endorsement

Strong supporter of GOP told me GOP time till Nov 2nd after that every thing in ? mark

October 28, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. phoenix86

No big deal. Obama was involved in a 1980's purchase of illegal narcotics, and he admits it freely.

October 28, 2010 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  14. duke

How did it not come out the first time??
    While your at it,ask the witch why she doesn't free that INNOCENT man??(he's no illegal either)

October 28, 2010 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  15. ~~ JULY ~~ ( Palin is the new Paris Hilton )

Honey, you will be amaze what YOU could find aganist whoever you were running against if you were down on the polls. Shocking no that they found this out you ... shocking!

October 28, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  16. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Forget about Brewers DUI, find out what terrible crime her son committed that resulted in Brewer hiding him away in the Arizona State Mental Hospital and having his records sealed.

October 28, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  17. Patty

@ July: I don't think Gov. Brewer is down in the polls. I believe she holds a lead over Terry Goddard......

October 28, 2010 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  18. Whatever

It must be the heat because some of the candidates running for office in AZ and NV – WOW so glad I live across the country from that madness!!! Those states needs more than just one industry. Many states need to change this aspect because when the one industry experiences problems like tourism has it will take the state down. God have mercy!!!!

October 28, 2010 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  19. a in austin

Ingrid, you are exactly right. Follow the $$$ on these prisons. The state is privotizing their state jails so they can get federal $$$ for housing the prisoners. Her campaign manager is right in the middle of all the under the table corruption.

October 28, 2010 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  20. Frank

She is still intoxicated ... with delusion.

October 28, 2010 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  21. Marcus

Yep, she does love to endorse laws...

October 28, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  22. SAY WHAT!!!

the wrinkle on her face proves that she drinks a lot...just the wrinkles are not enough to suggest that she is an alcoholic but the lack of mental capacity coupled with the wrinkles – now that cannot be denied...she probably changed her name do more through research and i would be surprised if the research showed less than 5 DUI's...the GOP party slogan – "Do as we command you not as we do or else we will use the Bible against you."

October 28, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  23. Billy

She sounds like she's drunk or drugged. This revelation doesn't surprise me one bit.

October 28, 2010 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  24. Jilli

This woman has a sorry excuse for everything. I don't think she has an honest bone in her body.

October 28, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  25. Me

Jan Brewer only has an Arizona high school education which means she is definitely not qualified to be the Governor of any state. How do I know this? I only have an Arizona high school education.

October 28, 2010 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |